Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Delt.
Hi all. Just looking to see what the general feeling is around rear delt training within a Fortitude programme. Is it something that people have added in as an extra or has it been done as a shoulder exercise.
Appreciate anyone's feedback and ideas
I do it as shoulder work and occasionally as back work depending on what tier I'm running and how I'm feeling. I think with the extensive back work in FT, there has been zero issues with under-development of rear delts in my case. Not sure if other experience the same or not.
I have wondered the same thing about that and a few other muscles. It all comes down to what your individual needs are. So pump sets and isolation movements in loading sets are a good place to put rest delts. For example today I did my all out set of shoulder press then moved to a reverse pec dec while maintaining scapula protraction so that it's all rear delts. I would say they are a minor weakness of mine so I prioritized them here. Could I use more side delt too? Yeah of course but if I don't have balance at a smaller size then I'll look terrible. We could all be bigger. Just comes down to the balance and symmetry of the size you're at. I know some guys in my weight class (small) but look insane due to the symmetry. I think myself as a smaller guy and guys like me are too focused on just being as big as possible.
Ive strongly considered it, particularly for females i coach in pump sets combines with chest

so a back/chest pump set superset

In with back not delts, possibly as a face pulls

Ive not added personally as I'm curious how my rear delts will come on without. Im slightly concerned about it but giving it a dig to see Smile
Digging' the commentary!!! Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Something that was of note/slight conundrum for me

I probably couldn't leave the lower volume tier's. id burn out.

That said, the volume on delts is low, so i don't think id want to use a delt set away from a pressing movement and infrequently a lateral raise muscle round or pump set....pure bread and butter stuff.

Id be inclined to have to add specifically an extra pump/MR set for rear delts and staying on a lower tier (slight modified lower tier) or else have it in as a back set (assuming my back i felt was progressing well enough) as a pump set. possibly as a face pull or reverse db fly, that had a lot of crossover into upper back/rhomboids etc too.

Not too sure. just a thought of where it MIGHT go in future. Could be a bit off the mark. Be delighted to get input from Scott on that

For now, as standard int he FT structure and interested to see what happens Smile
(05-31-2016, 07:29 AM)Rab Wrote: Ive strongly considered it, particularly for females i coach in pump sets combines with chest

so a back/chest pump set superset

In with back not delts, possibly as a face pulls

Ive not added personally as I'm curious how my rear delts will come on without. Im slightly concerned about it but giving it a dig to see Smile

I think yes.. With chest / back not delta. Face pulls a great idea. I occasionally do rear db flys. Mine do get hit on some of the other big back moved too like rack deads but that might just be the way I pull and hold the bar. Just some thoughts.
(05-31-2016, 08:24 AM)Rab Wrote: Something that was of note/slight conundrum for me

I probably couldn't leave the lower volume tier's. id burn out.

That said, the volume on delts is low, so i don't think id want to use a delt set away from a pressing movement and infrequently a lateral raise muscle round or pump set....pure bread and butter stuff.

Id be inclined to have to add specifically an extra pump/MR set for rear delts and staying on a lower tier (slight modified lower tier) or else have it in as a back set (assuming my back i felt was progressing well enough) as a pump set. possibly as a face pull or reverse db fly, that had a lot of crossover into upper back/rhomboids etc too.

Not too sure. just a thought of where it MIGHT go in future. Could be a bit off the mark. Be delighted to get input from Scott on that

For now, as standard int he FT structure and interested to see what happens Smile

i'd suggest getting creative with your pump sets:

Pick up a pair of DB's and do 5 standing side laterals, then bend over and do 5 reps bent over, then back up for 4 more standing up, etc.

Also: Do Pendlay Rows for back - a hell of a lot better back builder than face pulls, IMO, and hits the rear delts.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(05-31-2016, 11:03 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: i'd suggest getting creative with your pump sets:

Pick up a pair of DB's and do 5 standing side laterals, then bend over and do 5 reps bent over, then back up for 4 more standing up, etc.

Also: Do Pendlay Rows for back - a hell of a lot better back builder than face pulls, IMO, and hits the rear delts.

-S
All I can say is thanks Dr Stevenson. I tried the idea of 5 sides 5 rears etc with dumbells. It was honestly a pump like I've never felt before, one massive downside was the weight used.
You really wouldn't want anyone walking into the gym mid set and seeing you struggling with the pink dumbells.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
(06-07-2016, 04:55 PM)MikeyG Wrote: All I can say is thanks Dr Stevenson. I tried the idea of 5 sides 5 rears etc with dumbells. It was honestly a pump like I've never felt before, one massive downside was the weight used.
You really wouldn't want anyone walking into the gym mid set and seeing you struggling with the pink dumbells.

LOL! This is why, simply out of the fear of being shamed, I've worked by way up to the Baby Blue dumbbells. Smile

-S
-Scott