Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warming up
Im a newbie to FT and so far am loving it.

Whats peoples opinions on warming up correctly? Especially when it comes to pump sets and muscle rounds?

Up to now Ive been just doing a few short sets to try and get the area warm. But obviously dont want to end up straining or injuring myself by not doing enough but at the same time I dont want to expend too much energy so as to lose output on MR and pump sets.

Do you mean you don't want to do fairly intense sets near failure for warm ups?

I do low reps, adding weight until I get to the work set. My warm ups are not even close to failure, not even close to wearing me out.

Pump sets are easy. The weight is so light I do one, if any, warm ups depending on the exercise.
Con just basically asked this same question (in another thread).

Here's my response:

FT Questions....

Quote:I'm for warming up in whatever way you feel gets you read to rock n' roll. This seems to be very individual and can depend on the day for many folk, too.

I think what you're doing is fine, Con. Smile

I think what you've kind of included in this question is to what degree making gains in the program includes the stimulus brought on by the preceding warm-up sets. (As you know, this is a topic brought up wrt DC training and plans like Dorians, etc. where someone might only do one all out "working set" but there could be multiple "warm-up" sets that are not far from failure that add a high quality stimulus and volume to the workout.)

The above is part of why I created the volume Tiers, too - so that is someone does tend to do a lot warm-ups that create a substantial stimulus, the would work with a lower volume Tier (and vice versa).

I think in your case, for the reasons you cite and the fact that you train REALLY hard, Volume Tier I with warm-up like you do them makes perfect sense.

I generally warm-up in the way you're talking about, too. This comes from my days of DC training, when making sure not to cause any fatigue that would cut into performance of the working sets was a priority. Keeping the warm-ups to a minimum was a way to standardize that part of the program so the progression was based on working set performance per se and no diluted by variable amount of warm-ups (or perhaps if someone interrupted a warm-up regimen and thus reduced fatigue on that day).

The only caveat would be if one finds that they tend to get injured in this way and in retrospect, should have warmed up more. Sometimes a nagging or untested injury (something was tweaked on a previous workout) might mean it's a good time to do a warm-up that's closer to your working weight.

ALso, too, I've found now n' again (on squats in particular) that doing a warm-up that's pretty close to my working weight seems to really do a nice job of waking up the nervous system. I might even do a set of 1-3 with the actual working weight to do the same (and test the weight if it's an exercise I've not used before). I still would keep these sets to a minimum in terms of reps, though.

That being said, if you noticed when doing multiple sets (when using higher volume Tiers) that zig-zagging back to a compound exercise you felt (literally felt, even if the fatigue was there and reps were lower) a bit stronger, this might tell you that a little more warm-up could be warranted. This is just another piece that might fit into your personal decision to warm-up in one particular way vs. another.

--------

On a related note, when I was training with Dave Henry, we'd sometimes not be able to train together regularly (his shift would change at the Air Force). We got back together to shoot one if his videos so he had fallen into his own preferred pattern of warming up (vs. mine). We were doing a HS chest press and were both using several plates / side (Dave was always stronger than me on chest presses, but it was may.be 4 vs. 5 plates or something like that.)

While were juggling the photo-shoot, I do my regular warm-up, which is 1, 2, and then 3 for like 10, 8, and 4 reps (Something like that) with stretching, shoulder rotations, etc. but Dave just goes right to two plates, does like 20 reps in a row and he's ready to roll with 5 plates.

I'd not suggest that kind of approach, but that's kind of what he'd settled into when going it alone and had been doing that for a few months, I recall.

Smile

-S

-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-28-2016, 12:11 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Con just basically asked this same question (in another thread).

Here's my response:

FT Questions....

Smile

-S

Thanks for the reply Scott, appreciate you answering that. I noticed after I posted this that Con had asked a similar question.
Blush
(01-28-2016, 11:22 PM)Steedee Wrote: Thanks for the reply Scott, appreciate you answering that. I noticed after I posted this that Con had asked a similar question.
Blush

No worries!

(That one thread has become a huge Q and A, which is fine, but I think it makes it harder to find things sometimes. In this case, we just got lucky. Smile )

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Scott, in response to this, i'm doing something very similar such as a 10 rep with the bar, 5 rep, 3 rep, 2 rep, 1 rep whilst pyramiding up to my working weight, prior to the start of the selected muscle group (on the machine/rack that I am doing the working weight on). How do I implement this whilst doing FT? Do I warm up everything (e.g. back, chest & shoulders) prior to doing my first work set on back which would allow me to move from 1 exercise to another quickly. Or would you do the warm up on back, work set, then go warm up on chest, work set, then shoulders, then work set? Obviously the time between each work set is a lot longer but the muscle itself is actually primed, ready to hit the working set 100%?

Thanks for your replies bud, really appreciate these responses.

(01-28-2016, 12:11 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Con just basically asked this same question (in another thread).

Here's my response:

FT Questions....

Smile

-S

(11-10-2016, 06:23 AM)nordan Wrote: Scott, in response to this, i'm doing something very similar such as a 10 rep with the bar, 5 rep, 3 rep, 2 rep, 1 rep whilst pyramiding up to my working weight, prior to the start of the selected muscle group (on the machine/rack that I am doing the working weight on). How do I implement this whilst doing FT? Do I warm up everything (e.g. back, chest & shoulders) prior to doing my first work set on back which would allow me to move from 1 exercise to another quickly. Or would you do the warm up on back, work set, then go warm up on chest, work set, then shoulders, then work set? Obviously the time between each work set is a lot longer but the muscle itself is actually primed, ready to hit the working set 100%?

Thanks for your replies bud, really appreciate these responses.

I've answered this in the post you quoted.

-S

-Scott