Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tier "hybrid"
Going back to a post I made a while back, I ran Tier 1 only for a blast and was 3 weeks into the second blast. At that point I was feeling (for a little while) like the loading/pump days were not doing much for me. But the MR days were still killer.

At this point I decided to try something I thought about a while back. So last week I ran Tier II load/pump days. Then ran Tier 1 muscle round days. Worked pretty well for me and going to continue it this week.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has thought about or tried this.

And I figure Dr Scott will either applaud my trying to customize it for myself, or bury his head in his hands and cry a little in disgust. Either way... winkie
(01-24-2017, 06:42 AM)jonmiller Wrote: Going back to a post I made a while back, I ran Tier 1 only for a blast and was 3 weeks into the second blast. At that point I was feeling (for a little while) like the loading/pump days were not doing much for me. But the MR days were still killer.

At this point I decided to try something I thought about a while back. So last week I ran Tier II load/pump days. Then ran Tier 1 muscle round days. Worked pretty well for me and going to continue it this week.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has thought about or tried this.

And I figure Dr Scott will either applaud my trying to customize it for myself, or bury his head in his hands and cry a little in disgust. Either way... winkie

LOL!!!

Nice job. There is not a single thing "wrong" with this.

On the opposite side of the coin, I would imagine that some folks here could run you though Loading and Pump sets that might have you re-consider the volume that makes sense there for you.

It's totally possible that some folks would tend to create a greater stimulus ( and inroads into recovery) using one Set Type vs. another, especially when it comes to Pump sets.

OTOH, by allowing YOU to choose the strategy for pump sets that you use, you can adjust the impact that these have. (On the flip side - yet again - you can adjust the Volume Tier Based on your preference for pump set strategy, which will of course relate to the # of pump sets you can get away with.)

So, if this is your sweet spot for autoregulation and you're training as hard as you can or feel comfortable with for each of the Set types, that's good by me. (I created the structure of the Volume Tiers to create "blocks" that could be moved around on a week by week and even day by day schedule, as you are now doing.

A secondary hope for FT that fits with my primary directive is that in doing the above, you get a better sense of how to formulate your own training, which puts you in the driver seat and makes you the author of your own training programming, which I think is intrinsically valuable. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-24-2017, 06:42 AM)jonmiller Wrote: Going back to a post I made a while back, I ran Tier 1 only for a blast and was 3 weeks into the second blast. At that point I was feeling (for a little while) like the loading/pump days were not doing much for me. But the MR days were still killer.

I'm currently doing something similar to this in my current blast but running the Loading/Pump days at Tier 1 and the MR days at Tier 2. I've got a tenancy to absolutely bury myself on my loading sets so having one all out seems to fit with this quite well (think this mentality comes from years of DC training). Plus, I have loading lower on Sat and Upper on Sun.

The real proof in the pudding that this is working though is the strength jumps I'm making on each loading exercise at the moment: 10-15kg on pressing movements and 15-30kg on pulls per blast compared to 5-10 and 5-10 respectively when I was running the loading sets at tier 2.

The ability to customize and optimize for a particular individual and situation with exercise and tier selection is one of my favorite features of FT.