Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pump sets - how many Super Sets?
Hi,

I am running tier 2 turbo and I have a question regarding pump sets. For example the book states chest/back (2 sets). I know the exercises are in a Superset, but do you use the same exercises for both sets or different exercises for set 1 and 2?

Thanks
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Beefybollocks for this post:
  • Joe Jeffery
I personally do two different exercise selection supersets.......
Ok thanks I'll try different exercises

What about loading sets. On tier 2 turbo chest it says 2 sets. Is that 1 set of a compound exercise then 1 set of an isolation, or 2 sets of the compound?

Thanks
BB, for pump sets Scott wants you to do different types. Autoregulate what you need, but it's encouraged to hit all those different angles maybe you aren't getting with everything else. Also a great way to focus on weak points.

For loading sets. Check out page 88 of the book Exercise Selection (ZIG-ZAGGING) and page 89 and 90 for examples.
Thanks for the help biggrin
Speaking of pump sets guys. I Was wondering, I'm aware that pump sets should be continuous in general but would a high rep set of rest pause be suitable say 25-30 range? Or am I just missing the point completely?
You are sort of missing the point. Wink

Purpose of pump sets is to create metabolic stress and an occlusion effect. They are also supposed to be relatively light on the CNS. That's why they are continuous, lighter in weight, use partials, etc.

Rest Pause, drop sets, etc etc are not part of them. FT is big on muscle building and frequency, low on CNS impact. Also some lifts just do not lend themselves to pump sets. I really love personally walking lunges for legs to pump them up. But they are not continuous. They don't work in the frame work of FT. I really really understand the want and the need to stretch these sets out, or make them more intense. But I think honed and done with some bad intentions, pump sets as written are extremely brutal.

People can (and will) do anything they want, but I think it's important to see what the purpose of these sets are and how they fall into the frame work of the program. Scott created three different set types so you could grow by three completely different stresses. By modify or messing with the sets and how they are done, perhaps no harm can come of it. But also perhaps you are robbing yourself of a chance of some "gainz", but not tapping into a certain style. Or shortening the length of your blast because you hit your CNS too hard.

Sorry this got a little long winded Smile Hope it helps and feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Smile
(09-22-2017, 12:07 AM)SwaggyC Wrote: Speaking of pump sets guys. I Was wondering, I'm aware that pump sets should be continuous in general but would a high rep set of rest pause be suitable say 25-30 range? Or am I just missing the point completely?

You're just missing the point completely. Smile

A rest pause set is a discontinuous set - a cluster set - by definition.

It can't then be a continuous set. (You could do the reps continuously during each segment of the RP set, but the set is still discontinuous.)

Doing pump sets continuously is to prevent the CNS and associated non-muscular overload that comes with multiple failure point, which is exactly what you get with RP sets.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-22-2017, 01:10 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You're just missing the point completely. Smile

A rest pause set is a discontinuous set - a cluster set - by definition.

It can't then be a continuous set. (You could do the reps continuously during each segment of the RP set, but the set is still discontinuous.)

Doing pump sets continuously is to prevent the CNS and associated non-muscular overload that comes with multiple failure point, which is exactly what you get with RP sets.

-S
Thank you both altamir and Scott! I appreciate the help Smile I want to operate within the confines of the program as much as possible because Ik their is a reason for everything.
Altamir I hope Scott is paying you a decent salary! winkie