Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(10-04-2018, 03:26 AM)calamari88 Wrote: Hi Scott, thanks for the info on the adductors. Those are very helpful considerations and I will be using that info, but there was a misunderstanding because of the similar spelling. I was asking about the abductor machine. Blush The machine that works the glutes, with the pads on the outside of the thigh. Sometimes they call it the "Outer Thigh" machine but I don't know if it hits enough thigh to be in the Thigh category of FT. Which category in the template would you consider it to fall into?

This guy right here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JN8aXMHkF0

Whoops!

Yes, I misread that, but my answer is still the same generally speaking.

If you're in need of more glutei, you'd fashion the exercise selection overall do do so and you could put them in as a Thigh Pump set or Thigh MR (which the program is more amenable to with a higher Tier, of course).

The key here is to look across the entire set of exercises you're doing (for a given volume Tier) and plan somewhat to target where you're weak, as well as auto regulate exercise selection.

If glutes are glaringly weak, then one would be sure to include high wide leg presses, wide squats, SLDL's, perhaps even sumo deads (for back thickness) and even hyper extensions, too (counting glutes among thighs). Using Unilateral thigh MR's where you're driving with the heal and have a decent amount of hip flexion (e.g., romanian split squats on a smith machine with foot placement out front) will also hit the glutes.

Another option here is to simply use the abductor machine as a warm-up for thigh exercises, kind of an "add on" or pre-fatiguing exercise, but also to provide some biofeedback so you're connected to the muscle when doing the main training.

If someones gotten really strong as SLDL's and deep squats, glutes will almost always come up.

I could go on an on speaking hypothetically, but it's much more valuable for you to tell me explicitly what you're wanting to accomplish. (For instance, working around a low back injury could / would very often require a special approach.)

-S

-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-04-2018, 09:00 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Whoops!

Yes, I misread that, but my answer is still the same generally speaking.

If you're in need of more glutei, you'd fashion the exercise selection overall do do so and you could put them in as a Thigh Pump set or Thigh MR (which the program is more amenable to with a higher Tier, of course).

The key here is to look across the entire set of exercises you're doing (for a given volume Tier) and plan somewhat to target where you're weak, as well as auto regulate exercise selection.

If glutes are glaringly weak, then one would be sure to include high wide leg presses, wide squats, SLDL's, perhaps even sumo deads (for back thickness) and even hyper extensions, too (counting glutes among thighs). Using Unilateral thigh MR's where you're driving with the heal and have a decent amount of hip flexion (e.g., romanian split squats on a smith machine with foot placement out front) will also hit the glutes.

Another option here is to simply use the abductor machine as a warm-up for thigh exercises, kind of an "add on" or pre-fatiguing exercise, but also to provide some biofeedback so you're connected to the muscle when doing the main training.

If someones gotten really strong as SLDL's and deep squats, glutes will almost always come up.

I could go on an on speaking hypothetically, but it's much more valuable for you to tell me explicitly what you're wanting to accomplish. (For instance, working around a low back injury could / would very often require a special approach.)

-S

As of today I made sure to incorporate some of the exercises you listed above. Thanks for the list and strategies for exercise selection for bringing up the glutes. What I'm trying to do is fix my lifelong posture problems. I have an anterior pelvic tilt, kyphotic shoulders and forward head posture. I've improved these areas over the years put it still needs work. Especially since the imbalances caused me pelvic pain which used to be severe years ago but has improved so it's now is an occasional annoyance. Actually sometimes unilateral leg exercises like bulgarian split squat can increase the pelvic floor disorder so I have to be careful with those.

My strategy for fixing the imbalances has been : Stretch the pecs and strengthen the upper back. Stretch the lower back and strengthen the lower abs. Stretch the hips and strengthen the glutes and hammies. Of course I'm trying to strengthen the whole body but put more emphasis on certain parts.

Actually you gave me a few tips back in 2010 on the Intensemuscle site that I still use today such as using the pec deck for chest, stretching the tight areas and pressing my low back into a bench for reps. It has helped! Any additional guidance you could give me would be very appreciated!

(10-05-2018, 11:47 AM)calamari88 Wrote: As of today I made sure to incorporate some of the exercises you listed above. Thanks for the list and strategies for exercise selection for bringing up the glutes. What I'm trying to do is fix my lifelong posture problems. I have an anterior pelvic tilt, kyphotic shoulders and forward head posture. I've improved these areas over the years put it still needs work. Especially since the imbalances caused me pelvic pain which used to be severe years ago but has improved so it's now is an occasional annoyance. Actually sometimes unilateral leg exercises like bulgarian split squat can increase the pelvic floor disorder so I have to be careful with those.

My strategy for fixing the imbalances has been : Stretch the pecs and strengthen the upper back. Stretch the lower back and strengthen the lower abs. Stretch the hips and strengthen the glutes and hammies. Of course I'm trying to strengthen the whole body but put more emphasis on certain parts.

Actually you gave me a few tips back in 2010 on the Intensemuscle site that I still use today such as using the pec deck for chest, stretching the tight areas and pressing my low back into a bench for reps. It has helped! Any additional guidance you could give me would be very appreciated!

Ah, OK - well this is a totally different intent / goal in training on the abductor machine and could be done as a kind of pre-workout warm-up.

Glute bridges could very well be helpful, especially this variation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCiZVMMDW4

STRETCHING the hip flexors (I can't tell if this is what you mean above) will be vital here, including possibly finding a massage therapist / chiropractor / Tui Na practitioner who can do a psoas release (which, if done correctly will NOT be a pleasant experience but can be very helpful if it's needed.)

Posture during the entire day will be vital here, too.

Getting a kneeling chair may help as well, in addition to using a device like the Donnie Thompson bowtie.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-06-2018, 12:20 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Ah, OK - well this is a totally different intent / goal in training on the abductor machine and could be done as a kind of pre-workout warm-up.

Glute bridges could very well be helpful, especially this variation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCiZVMMDW4

STRETCHING the hip flexors (I can't tell if this is what you mean above) will be vital here, including possibly finding a massage therapist / chiropractor / Tui Na practitioner who can do a psoas release (which, if done correctly will NOT be a pleasant experience but can be very helpful if it's needed.)

Posture during the entire day will be vital here, too.

Getting a kneeling chair may help as well, in addition to using a device like the Donnie Thompson bowtie.

-S

I started on the frog pumps yesterday as a pump set and they really targeted my problem areas. They're very effective at encouraging a more posterior pelvic tilt direction and made my lower back feel great. Once I have the form down I'll try adding a dumbbell as I saw Contreras do in another video.

Yes, it's my hip flexors that get too tight. I stretch them throughout the day but not enough to counteract all the sitting I do as an illustrator. I'm wondering are there exercises that can target the lower abs without tightening the hip flexors?

The Donnie Thompson bowtie looks like it will be a great help to keep from slouching and I'm ordering it tomorrow.

Thanks Scott, for your other suggestions. I'm looking into all of them.

I love Fortitude Training! I'm on my 2nd blast. I'm finding it to be the most fun and well thought out program I've ever tried! I'm seeing a transformation take place in the past 2 months.
(10-08-2018, 12:24 AM)calamari88 Wrote: I started on the frog pumps yesterday as a pump set and they really targeted my problem areas. They're very effective at encouraging a more posterior pelvic tilt direction and made my lower back feel great. Once I have the form down I'll try adding a dumbbell as I saw Contreras do in another video.

Awesome!

Quote:Yes, it's my hip flexors that get too tight. I stretch them throughout the day but not enough to counteract all the sitting I do as an illustrator. I'm wondering are there exercises that can target the lower abs without tightening the hip flexors?

Anything with the hip flexors in an elongated position, like Ab crunches on a flat bench with feet flat on the floor. You could also use a Bosu balance trainer with feet out straight to and do weight abs. (A Bosu ball could work, but I've seen those pop / puncture with folks on them doing abs... Sad )

Quote:The Donnie Thompson bowtie looks like it will be a great help to keep from slouching and I'm ordering it tomorrow.

Thanks Scott, for your other suggestions. I'm looking into all of them.

You're welcome!

Quote:I love Fortitude Training! I'm on my 2nd blast. I'm finding it to be the most fun and well thought out program I've ever tried! I'm seeing a transformation take place in the past 2 months.

Phenomenal! Have you monitored / measured body comp, skinfolds, etc. or taken any pics?...

-S
-Scott

(10-08-2018, 01:01 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Anything with the hip flexors in an elongated position, like Ab crunches on a flat bench with feet flat on the floor. You could also use a Bosu balance trainer with feet out straight to and do weight abs. (A Bosu ball could work, but I've seen those pop / puncture with folks on them doing abs... Sad )

Phenomenal! Have you monitored / measured body comp, skinfolds, etc. or taken any pics?...

-S

Thanks for the ab exercises. I took some "before" pics and when I'm ready I'll take the 'after' pics and show ya. I've got some annoying health problems that in recent years have kept me from making real progress. However on FT I'm making gains again. I've managed in 2 months to lose 11 pounds without hunger and 2.5 inches off my waist, while increasing training poundages.

(10-10-2018, 11:45 AM)calamari88 Wrote: Thanks for the ab exercises. I took some "before" pics and when I'm ready I'll take the 'after' pics and show ya. I've got some annoying health problems that in recent years have kept me from making real progress. However on FT I'm making gains again. I've managed in 2 months to lose 11 pounds without hunger and 2.5 inches off my waist, while increasing training poundages.

This is great, man! So glad to hear it (esp. about the health issues resolving). Smile

Maybe start your own / a new thread for the pics?...

-S
-Scott

Hi Doc, unable to find the following q&A, not sure if this has been raised before...

If one can only train on wkdays, whats the best way to do Turbo Version?

Mon-Lower Load
Tues-Upper Load
Thurs- Fullbody MRs
Fri - Full body MRs???

(11-02-2018, 02:12 PM)d2r2ddd Wrote: Hi Doc, unable to find the following q&A, not sure if this has been raised before...

If one can only train on wkdays, whats the best way to do Turbo Version?

Mon-Lower Load
Tues-Upper Load
Thurs- Fullbody MRs
Fri - Full body MRs???

Probably better to do the Basic version or the Family Man plan, TBH, if you're constrained to only weekday training. :

-S
-Scott

(11-02-2018, 11:37 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Probably better to do the Basic version or the Family Man plan, TBH, if you're constrained to only weekday training. :

-S

TQ Doc!