Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(08-21-2014, 03:53 AM)mentalflex Wrote: Yes, 89 and 90.. I referenced them what I responded to the individual... I knew I wasn't hallucinating lol

Gotta be careful with that amino acid high.. Wink

(08-21-2014, 03:22 AM)mentalflex Wrote: Scott,

This was brought up on pro muscle as one individual said he is doing 4 exercises for each back, chest and shoulders for Volume Tier 3 on the turbo program. My interpretation is that on tier 3 for upper body loading you have 2 exercises for each bodypart and perform 4 work sets total between the two exercises...

What is correct?

Here is a link to the post http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums...ost1956090

Yeah, I saw that that was going on.

4 work sets for that Tier and he was doing 4 different exercises. He has his own gym so he can get away with that, but it would significantly slow you down d/t the loading of all the weight and the warm-ups (which iw would suggest, simply for the sake of safety.)

The zig zagging should not be terribly complicated and frankly, that's far too many exercises for loading to try to keep track of, IMO.

E.g. for Chest, we're talking about 3 go to exercises (A, B, C) rotation and isolation exercises in between. The isolation exercise could be the same, but this could be another way to vary things / fine tune the program. PLUS, from a practical standpoint, it's gonna be pretty common at most gyms that it's a pain in the butt to secure more than one machine at a time.

Again, for chest, you can drag some DB's over the bench you're using and do DB flies. OTOH, that might not be possible if you need to warm-up near the DB area (and can't secure a bench where you're doing a BB or smith press AS WELL AS one over where the DB's are). With a partner this is more doable.

HOWEVER, when securing your "go to" LOADING exercise and you need to use another isolation exercise, you can almost surely find something that you can just jump in on, even if you have to do a couple "warm-up" reps to be ready. (I'd suggest in this case, using an impromptu isolation exercise, to keep the reps higher).

So, you might end up, on a day when incline BB press is your go to exercise, doing this:

Incline BB
Machine Pec Deck (machine is open)
Incline BB
Cable Cross-over (Machine is open)

---------

NOTE: THE BELOW IS IN THE CONTEXT OF TIER III TRAINING

Someone who is trying progress with loading sets on 4 DIFFERENT exercises on each of 3 exercise rotations (A, B, C) for that particular muscle group, is dealing with 12 different exercises to progress on.

I'm talking about using THREE exercises (3 go to ones) at a time, with the isolation exercises being in there as a variable stimulus. At the very least, if you're doing the Go to Exercise FIRST for your first loading set, you've got your marker of progress there (stopping a rep shy of failure).

For those who need to do an isolation exercise FIRST, this can be one they do each time (at least for a given Go To Loading set exercise) and perhaps for the other isolation sets. This way, that's a constant and if you go up on the isolation exercise AND the first set of the Go to Loading set Exercise (1st two sets), you know you're on the right track. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(08-21-2014, 08:29 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yeah, I saw that that was going on.

4 work sets for that Tier and he was doing 4 different exercises. He has his own gym so he can get away with that, but it would significantly slow you down d/t the loading of all the weight and the warm-ups (which iw would suggest, simply for the sake of safety.)

The zig zagging should not be terribly complicated and frankly, that's far too many exercises for loading to try to keep track of, IMO.

E.g. for Chest, we're talking about 3 go to exercises (A, B, C) rotation and isolation exercises in between. The isolation exercise could be the same, but this could be another way to vary things / fine tune the program. PLUS, from a practical standpoint, it's gonna be pretty common at most gyms that it's a pain in the butt to secure more than one machine at a time.

Again, for chest, you can drag some DB's over the bench you're using and do DB flies. OTOH, that might not be possible if you need to warm-up near the DB area (and can't secure a bench where you're doing a BB or smith press AS WELL AS one over where the DB's are). With a partner this is more doable.

HOWEVER, when securing your "go to" LOADING exercise and you need to use another isolation exercise, you can almost surely find something that you can just jump in on, even if you have to do a couple "warm-up" reps to be ready. (I'd suggest in this case, using an impromptu isolation exercise, to keep the reps higher).

So, you might end up, on a day when incline BB press is your go to exercise, doing this:

Incline BB
Machine Pec Deck (machine is open)
Incline BB
Cable Cross-over (Machine is open)

---------

NOTE: THE BELOW IS IN THE CONTEXT OF TIER III TRAINING

Someone who is trying progress with loading sets on 4 DIFFERENT exercises on each of 3 exercise rotations (A, B, C) for that particular muscle group, is dealing with 12 different exercises to progress on.

I'm talking about using THREE exercises (3 go to ones) at a time, with the isolation exercises being in there as a variable stimulus. At the very least, if you're doing the Go to Exercise FIRST for your first loading set, you've got your marker of progress there (stopping a rep shy of failure).

For those who need to do an isolation exercise FIRST, this can be one they do each time (at least for a given Go To Loading set exercise) and perhaps for the other isolation sets. This way, that's a constant and if you go up on the isolation exercise AND the first set of the Go to Loading set Exercise (1st two sets), you know you're on the right track. Smile

-S

Sweet baby jesus! Thank you for the detailed response!!!!
For zig zag on the loading sets I usually do the warmups for both exercises before hitting the work sets. Then once it's work set time it's time to roll........
Scott, I know the FT program was written with what is ideal already.

My problem is day 4 can take to long, since I have another job to go to after the workout. What is your thoughts on moving some of the second sets to day 3? So chest and shoulders have 2 sets on day 3 instead of day 4.
(08-24-2014, 01:40 AM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Scott, I know the FT program was written with what is ideal already.

My problem is day 4 can take to long, since I have another job to go to after the workout. What is your thoughts on moving some of the second sets to day 3? So chest and shoulders have 2 sets on day 3 instead of day 4.

DO you work 7 days / week?...

(You can just do Day 4 on a day you don't work.)

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(08-24-2014, 02:16 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: DO you work 7 days / week?...

(You can just do Day 4 on a day you don't work.)

-S

Duh lol Smile
(08-24-2014, 02:57 AM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Duh lol Smile

I can't tell - did that solve the issue or are you being wee bit facetious?... Smile
-Scott

(08-24-2014, 06:11 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I can't tell - did that solve the issue or are you being wee bit facetious?... Smile

More like hitting forehand Smile over thinking, was a long night at work, solved the problem I didn't have lol.
Scott where would you put a lift like Bulgarian split squats in?? Or would you leave it out. If you include these types of movements do you switch leg immediately or put a rest period in between legs??