Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fortitude Training Exercises
All- If you're reading this it means you're likely thinking about dabbling in the world of Fortitude Training.

With that said, FT provides a ton of customization and flexibility. I wanted to start a thread to see what everyone is using for certain body parts and exercise types.

I propose we label exercises as follows:

exercise name/part targeted/FT Type

FT Type being:
L=Loading
P=Pump
MR= Muscle Round

for example:

bench press/chest/L

This can help everyone grow together and get new ideas for their training possibly. Also note that certain exercises may have multiple applications such as a hammer strength machine could likely be used for L/R/MR.

Here is a good index of exercises, albeit not the end-all be-all Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Articles - Bodybuilding.com
(07-15-2014, 10:31 AM)bigla2004 Wrote: All- If you're reading this it means you're likely thinking about dabbling in the world of Fortitude Training.

With that said, FT provides a ton of customization and flexibility. I wanted to start a thread to see what everyone is using for certain body parts and exercise types.

I propose we label exercises as follows:

exercise name/part targeted/FT Type

FT Type being:
L=Loading
P=Pump
MR= Muscle Round

for example:

bench press/chest/L

This can help everyone grow together and get new ideas for their training possibly. Also note that certain exercises may have multiple applications such as a hammer strength machine could likely be used for L/R/MR.

Here is a good index of exercises, albeit not the end-all be-all Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Articles - Bodybuilding.com

Just a heads up for everyone, too, of course.

IN THE BOOK , if you go to the Hyperindex of Terms (end of the Table of Contents) and look under

Training
>> Set Types
>>>> Loading Sets, Pump Sets and Muscle Rounds

its will link you to where you can read about selecting those (how to do them, rep ranges, etc.).

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Well, I workout at the house where I have a rack, flat bench, incline bench, a ham/leg extension attachment (plate loaded), plate loaded adjustable dumbbells, a barbell, lat pull down, and a preacher curl attachment. There's also a low pulley I can use for cable curls. Fairly limiting. In addition, I've decided to stay away from bi-lateral barbell squats (front and back) because of my training partner straining his lower erectors pretty darn bad twice in the last few months. We're talking a couple of weeks of physical and mental recuperation each time. So, in order to stay on the same page, I'm using unilateral squat/lunge movements with him for a couple of months at least. Also avoiding barbell rows. With that out of the way...

Back thickness:
L--Dumbbell Rows of varying elbow angle.
P--I alternate between a pull-down (varying grip), and either a low cable row or bi-later chest supported dumbbell row from week to week.
MR--A pull-down and row with a grip/elbow-angle I haven't already used during the week.

Back Width:
I Just make sure to use 2-3 (depending on if a pull-down is used for pump) different grips through the week.

Chest:
L--Barbell press and dumbbell fly of varying angle.
P--Pushups (weighted back pack for loading) with different feet elevations, or Dumbbell Benches of varying angle.
MR--I decided Barbell Presses (different bench angle than load day) from a dead-stop (only for the first rep, the rest are touch and go) off the pins was the best way to handle the racking/un-racking energy drain of MR. Pec-deck (oh yeah, I have that attachment too) or a dumbbell fly.

Shoulders:
L: Military Press (Narrow through wide grip) works for me.
Pump: WG upright row or a Dumbbell Press (varying elbow flare), dumbbell laterals.
MR: Off-pins BHN or Military press, a lateral raise.

Biceps:
P--Cable Curl, or Incline Dumbbell Curl.
MR--Barbell, Concentration, or Preacher Curl.

Triceps:
Overhead or Lying Triceps extension (bar and dumbbell varieties), Triceps Press-downs, and bench dips. I don't favor any particular exercise for pump or M-rounds days, so I just make sure each day uses a different exercise and angle (elbows overhead, or pointing in front of me, or straight down).

Legs are Tricky....

Thigh:
L--Bulgarian Squat, Rev. Lunge, Front lunge.
P--Goblet Squat. The lower weight, high reps, more vertical torso, and weight position seems to cause absolutely no issues. Well, at least they "feel safe" for him.
MR--Supported Bulgarian/Skater Squat movement. One hand on a dumbbell, the other used solely to correct balance as needed via gripping the rack. Dumbbell split squat (rear foot not elevated).

Quad:
Leg extension, heels-elevated Dumbbell Hack Squat (From the book I saw that BB Hack is used as a sort of quad Iso exercise...). He feels good about the Dumbbell Hack, as far as his back goes. Neither is locked into a particular set type.

Ham:
L--Ham curls.
P--Ham curls again or a Dumbbell SDL (conservative on depth). He feels comfortable with SDLs for both P and MR. He can better "monitor" how his back is doing as fatigue mounts than during, say, a regular squat or deadlift. And no matter what, he keeps two reps in the tank on these. Still, we avoid them as a ham movement for the heavier load days.
MR--Ham Curl or Barbell SDL.

Calves: Basically, just barbell/dumbbell free-standing two or one legged calf raises.

Today for my loading workout I used fetal leg curls for the first time........I managed 6 good reps and holy shit!
I'll be using these for awhile, although until I build up some strength with this movement I'll be limited to using it on loading days only.
I really like rack chins for back width. been using them for loading and muscle rounds.

somersault squats for quad pump

did muscle rounds for triceps this week bi-lateral single arm tricep rope pressdowns. this destroyed my triceps!

all my other exercises id say are pretty "standard". (barbell,dumbell, and hammer strength)
Just received my Iron Mind belt squat belt a couple days ago.
My plan was to do lap squats the Scott demo'd in a video. I need to get some large carabiners to fit around the bar, using the daisy chain the bar rides too low.

So today I used it as my second MR exercise the conventional way with the bar between my legs. I used small plates to get the proper depth and can only say wow, does that exercise blast the quads! I was worried about using enough weight with the smaller plates, I used 215 pounds and by the last set it was a killer!

Being that I'll just be starting FT for the first time I'd love to hear more exercise selection ideals