Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fortitude Training of a Family Man
Part 3...

I enjoyed DoggCrapp for years. It's probably still my favorite heavy duty approach of them all. It incorporated a log book mentality, high reps, and a higher frequency than most of the old models of HIT. I trained DC unmodified up until my mid-thirties.

Up to now, I've been blasting DC 25-35 reps with "Mountain Dog" routines in between blasts. I've found John's routines to be almost therapeutic for my joints and great for a few months of log book punishment.

I've read Scott's posts for years on Intense Muscle under "Homonunculus" and I was excited to discover that he'd written a book. Months later, here is my review and testimonial of his work.

(Before I began FT I decided to get skinny (pic attached). I basically quit drinking wine every night and eating ice cream.)

What I like about FT and how it has effected me:

1. FT is a customizable platform--From people's schedules, stomachs for intensity, exercise preference, set types, and overall goals, this is truly one of the most well designed templates I've ever worked with in terms of adjustability. Scott gives great samples from the Family Man Plan to intensity levels of Tier 3 training.

2. FT allows for safe and trackable progress--One of the things I've become addicted to is the log book mentality of beating my last workout on certain exercises. It's tangible progress that I immediately miss when I move to volume routines that change constantly and don't allow training to failure.

3. FT allows for great pumps!--Does this need explanation? This feeling is the drug that got me into bodybuilding. The pump sets and creative set types like 5's in the hole are simply awesome.

4. FT allows for bodybuilding "fun"--The non-load days allow for the instinctive type of training where one can go into the gym and work on weak points with their favorite exercises. I look forward to these days the most.

5. There is real science behind FT--One of the things Mike Mentzer drilled into my head was to have a reason behind everything I do in the gym. If you want to know the science behind Scott's recommended strategies, he goes into plenty enough detail (backed with real studies) for the layman his book.

6. FT has an adequate amount of variety--(very personal opinion here) Everything works but nothing works for long. With FT and it's malleability you really don't have to worry so much about such dramatic cycles of periodization. There is a touch of DUP in the schedule here that I've found has disallowed me to become stale or plateau.

7. FT has a great guy behind it who is genuine about helping fools like me.

RedRum

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Fortitude Training of a Family Man - by Redrum - 06-09-2016, 11:37 PM
RE: Fortitude Training of a Family Man - by Redrum - 06-12-2016, 12:08 AM