Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fortitude Training Exercises
Well, I workout at the house where I have a rack, flat bench, incline bench, a ham/leg extension attachment (plate loaded), plate loaded adjustable dumbbells, a barbell, lat pull down, and a preacher curl attachment. There's also a low pulley I can use for cable curls. Fairly limiting. In addition, I've decided to stay away from bi-lateral barbell squats (front and back) because of my training partner straining his lower erectors pretty darn bad twice in the last few months. We're talking a couple of weeks of physical and mental recuperation each time. So, in order to stay on the same page, I'm using unilateral squat/lunge movements with him for a couple of months at least. Also avoiding barbell rows. With that out of the way...

Back thickness:
L--Dumbbell Rows of varying elbow angle.
P--I alternate between a pull-down (varying grip), and either a low cable row or bi-later chest supported dumbbell row from week to week.
MR--A pull-down and row with a grip/elbow-angle I haven't already used during the week.

Back Width:
I Just make sure to use 2-3 (depending on if a pull-down is used for pump) different grips through the week.

Chest:
L--Barbell press and dumbbell fly of varying angle.
P--Pushups (weighted back pack for loading) with different feet elevations, or Dumbbell Benches of varying angle.
MR--I decided Barbell Presses (different bench angle than load day) from a dead-stop (only for the first rep, the rest are touch and go) off the pins was the best way to handle the racking/un-racking energy drain of MR. Pec-deck (oh yeah, I have that attachment too) or a dumbbell fly.

Shoulders:
L: Military Press (Narrow through wide grip) works for me.
Pump: WG upright row or a Dumbbell Press (varying elbow flare), dumbbell laterals.
MR: Off-pins BHN or Military press, a lateral raise.

Biceps:
P--Cable Curl, or Incline Dumbbell Curl.
MR--Barbell, Concentration, or Preacher Curl.

Triceps:
Overhead or Lying Triceps extension (bar and dumbbell varieties), Triceps Press-downs, and bench dips. I don't favor any particular exercise for pump or M-rounds days, so I just make sure each day uses a different exercise and angle (elbows overhead, or pointing in front of me, or straight down).

Legs are Tricky....

Thigh:
L--Bulgarian Squat, Rev. Lunge, Front lunge.
P--Goblet Squat. The lower weight, high reps, more vertical torso, and weight position seems to cause absolutely no issues. Well, at least they "feel safe" for him.
MR--Supported Bulgarian/Skater Squat movement. One hand on a dumbbell, the other used solely to correct balance as needed via gripping the rack. Dumbbell split squat (rear foot not elevated).

Quad:
Leg extension, heels-elevated Dumbbell Hack Squat (From the book I saw that BB Hack is used as a sort of quad Iso exercise...). He feels good about the Dumbbell Hack, as far as his back goes. Neither is locked into a particular set type.

Ham:
L--Ham curls.
P--Ham curls again or a Dumbbell SDL (conservative on depth). He feels comfortable with SDLs for both P and MR. He can better "monitor" how his back is doing as fatigue mounts than during, say, a regular squat or deadlift. And no matter what, he keeps two reps in the tank on these. Still, we avoid them as a ham movement for the heavier load days.
MR--Ham Curl or Barbell SDL.

Calves: Basically, just barbell/dumbbell free-standing two or one legged calf raises.

Messages In This Thread
Fortitude Training Exercises - by bigla2004 - 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: Fortitude Training Exercises - by Lourent - 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: Fortitude Training Exercises - by dens228 - 07-31-2014, 05:09 AM
RE: Fortitude Training Exercises - by dens228 - 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM