Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk volume
(04-22-2015, 07:49 AM)_jais_ Wrote: Ah makes sense. Ya it's a back injury so I'm generally very careful and warm up very thoroughly and completely. I also use the elliptical prior to touching a weight to get a good sweat going. I see what you mean though and I can definitely see your point when it comes to DC training about being too fatigue inducing to do that many warmup sets, but what about fortitude training, which I just recently started, would you in general recommend more of a DC style warm up on loading days focusing getting up as much weight as possible for the loading sets?

Or because some of the tiers have multiple loading sets is it as crucial to build up to that "one" max set?

Thank you for your responses.

You're welcome!

I still recommend people do as much as they feel they need to be safely warmed up. I'd rather see someone do more warm-up sets and maybe get a rep or two less than not do enough and get injured.

One advance of the Higher Volume Tiers is that the multiple sets are indeed kind of a warm-up before the final set where one would go the failure (safely, of course). It's really a matter of what you feel you need to do.

I remember when I was training with Dave H. that, for instance on pressing movements, let's say on a HS press, we might do this:

Me:
Warm-up with 1 plate / side, 2 plates / side, 3, plates / side, 4 plates/ side then final go set. Reps might be: 10, 6, 4, 3, max effort RP set

Dave:
Warms up with 2 plates / side for 25 reps. Then he goes to his go weight after just one set. (I remember him doing exactly that once after we started back after a long time not training together. He had just been warming up that way when training alone. Before then, he'd simply do the reps with the lighter weights b/c that's what I did...)

So, it's really up to you. If you're injured, you can't lift. If you're making progress in the gym (even it that the reps are a little below your absolute best b/c of a fatiguing warm-up protocol), then you're going to grow.

Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Messages In This Thread
Let's talk volume - by _jais_ - 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM
RE: Let's talk volume - by Scott Stevenson - 04-21-2015, 02:25 PM
RE: Let's talk volume - by _jais_ - 04-22-2015, 02:43 AM
RE: Let's talk volume - by Scott Stevenson - 04-22-2015, 06:51 AM
RE: Let's talk volume - by _jais_ - 04-22-2015, 07:49 AM
RE: Let's talk volume - by Scott Stevenson - 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM
RE: Let's talk volume - by _jais_ - 04-22-2015, 11:13 AM
RE: Let's talk volume - by Scott Stevenson - 04-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Let's talk volume - by Hakan Çelik - 04-25-2015, 11:28 PM
RE: Let's talk volume - by Scott Stevenson - 04-26-2015, 01:08 AM