Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Sumo / Conventional Deadlifts in the Program?
Probably a question that's been asked before, but thought I'd just toss it out there.

If I wanted to add in sumo deadlifts or conventional deadlifts into the program into loading sets, what "area" would they fall into? Would sumo deadlifts be a "thigh" exercise, or a "back thickness" exercise? Same thing for conventional deadlift. These are exercises I love and really seem to respond well to, and seem to be easier on my back than rack pulls, so I was just wondering what category they would fit into best.

Could you also use these exercises for muscle rounds? They don't really need to be reracked like a bench or a squat - you can just set them down on the ground, and I bet they'd be KILLER for a muscle round in terms of intensity.

Thanks in advance, I've been following the FT diet for a while and love it, going to start the training protocol soon and hope to put some serious mass on while doing all the lifts I love!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to urogenitalsubsection for this post:
  • Stewilliams
(04-29-2018, 04:03 PM)urogenitalsubsection Wrote: Probably a question that's been asked before, but thought I'd just toss it out there.

Why not, eh?... THere's also the search function, too.... Wink

Quote:If I wanted to add in sumo deadlifts or conventional deadlifts into the program into loading sets, what "area" would they fall into? Would sumo deadlifts be a "thigh" exercise, or a "back thickness" exercise? Same thing for conventional deadlift. These are exercises I love and really seem to respond well to, and seem to be easier on my back than rack pulls, so I was just wondering what category they would fit into best.

You'd have to figure out what muscle group each deadlift variety hits for you primarily and then use it appropriately.

You could also use trap bar deadlifts as a leg exercise.

There might be a clue in using rack deads, too, if they seem to hit your back well. Smile

Quote:Could you also use these exercises for muscle rounds? They don't really need to be reracked like a bench or a squat - you can just set them down on the ground, and I bet they'd be KILLER for a muscle round in terms of intensity.

You could, but I'd wholeheartedly advise against using deadlift variations for Muscle Rounds due to the risk of low back injury. (What happens nearly every time to the low back - what's the first thing to go - when someone takes a high rep deadlift set to failure?)

Quote:Thanks in advance, I've been following the FT diet for a while and love it, going to start the training protocol soon and hope to put some serious mass on while doing all the lifts I love!

Right on. Also, don't forget there are now several years of Q and A here as well as some great logs to look through. Smile

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
For some reason the app I primarily use for this forum doesn't seem to have a functioning search function, but I realized I can search from the website on my phone, and have found a ton more answers / knowledge, so I'll definitely be using that a lot moreso!

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I actually got super excited to workout today and did lower muscle rounds before I saw your comment (I saw your comment while halfway through quad pump) and did sumo deadlifts for muscle rounds. I noticed that I had less back pain while doing the muscle rounds than even just doing warm ups. I think this relates back to what PScarb was talking about on muscle minds latest episode (fantastic episode as usual BTW, this is actually what inspired me to try FT again!) about how doing higher reps would cause his issues to flare up, but the 4 rep sets in MR wouldn't. This kind of ties into another question; how would you recommend warming up for MR? Would you recommend doing some lower rep sets, or some higher rep sets, or both? (IE higher rep in the beginning then going to lower reps, then doing the MR)

Also, on loading days, would you recommend doing conventional deadlift on back thickness days? I'm more of a sumo puller anyways so I could keep these out if you'd think that I'd be aggravating my lower back with too much deadlifting (sumo + SLDL/RDL + conventional + maybe trap bar might be a bit much, but they're all fun!)

I just want to say that I had one of the BEST workouts in a LONG time. I couldn't believe how intense it was, and it just felt super effective. Walking up 9 floors to my dorm room was a little harder than usual after Smile

I actually tried FT before for a week and made all the common mistakes (not enough / no warmups, not having a high enough intensity / really pushing it to absolute failure on the sets that require it, jumping into T2 volume instead of starting at T1, etc). But after doing some more research and listening to you and PScarb talk about FT moreso, I definitely think I'm catching on, and will love FT and see some great progress.

Thanks again!
(04-30-2018, 03:21 AM)urogenitalsubsection Wrote: For some reason the app I primarily use for this forum doesn't seem to have a functioning search function, but I realized I can search from the website on my phone, and have found a ton more answers / knowledge, so I'll definitely be using that a lot moreso!

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I actually got super excited to workout today and did lower muscle rounds before I saw your comment (I saw your comment while halfway through quad pump) and did sumo deadlifts for muscle rounds. I noticed that I had less back pain while doing the muscle rounds than even just doing warm ups. I think this relates back to what PScarb was talking about on muscle minds latest episode (fantastic episode as usual BTW, this is actually what inspired me to try FT again!) about how doing higher reps would cause his issues to flare up, but the 4 rep sets in MR wouldn't.[/quote]

Awesome!

(I'm not sure how the lesser amount of back pain doing deads BEFORE you did the MR's has to do with the MR's though... )

I'm still strongly against doing deadlifts for MR's, except perhaps with a trap bar.

Quote:This kind of ties into another question; how would you recommend warming up for MR? Would you recommend doing some lower rep sets, or some higher rep sets, or both? (IE higher rep in the beginning then going to lower reps, then doing the MR)

I'm going to let you search for this one, as I've answered it a few times now. Smile

Quote:Also, on loading days, would you recommend doing conventional deadlift on back thickness days? I'm more of a sumo puller anyways so I could keep these out if you'd think that I'd be aggravating my lower back with too much deadlifting (sumo + SLDL/RDL + conventional + maybe trap bar might be a bit much, but they're all fun!)

As far as conventional deads, "You'd have to figure out what muscle group each deadlift variety hits for you primarily and then use it appropriately."

You'll have to see how your low back holds up. Trap bar deads are not nearly as low back intensive.

Quote:I just want to say that I had one of the BEST workouts in a LONG time. I couldn't believe how intense it was, and it just felt super effective. Walking up 9 floors to my dorm room was a little harder than usual after Smile

Cool!

Quote:I actually tried FT before for a week and made all the common mistakes (not enough / no warmups, not having a high enough intensity / really pushing it to absolute failure on the sets that require it, jumping into T2 volume instead of starting at T1, etc). But after doing some more research and listening to you and PScarb talk about FT moreso, I definitely think I'm catching on, and will love FT and see some great progress.

Thanks again!

Sweet! You're welcome!

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.