Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FT for an early intermediate
I have been training for several years, but I still believe I am far from hitting my strength potential and muscle mass. This is largely due to digestive issues (Crohn's) that I believe are under much better control now. Therefore, I really want to train hard and build muscle and strength. My question is if FT would be a good choice for someone like me or even a beginner? Or, would something like DC be more appropriate since I am fairly young (early 30's), have no aches/pains, and am at a relatively low strength level? Or, possibly another program you might recommend?

I know FT has a lot of undulation and exercise rotation so I wasn't sure if more frequent loading would be helpful?

Thanks!

P.S. I would also be curious to hear what program(s) you often recommend for beginners (not me, necessarily).
(12-11-2018, 06:15 AM)ZachM Wrote: I have been training for several years, but I still believe I am far from hitting my strength potential and muscle mass. This is largely due to digestive issues (Crohn's) that I believe are under much better control now. Therefore, I really want to train hard and build muscle and strength. My question is if FT would be a good choice for someone like me or even a beginner? Or, would something like DC be more appropriate since I am fairly young (early 30's), have no aches/pains, and am at a relatively low strength level? Or, possibly another program you might recommend?

I know FT has a lot of undulation and exercise rotation so I wasn't sure if more frequent loading would be helpful?

Thanks!

P.S. I would also be curious to hear what program(s) you often recommend for beginners (not me, necessarily).

Zach,

How have you been training so far in terms of split, sets, reps and progressive overload...

I would recommend different things to beginners depending on their goals and mindset, number of days they have / want to training, lifestyle otherwise, etc.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(12-11-2018, 11:44 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Zach,

How have you been training so far in terms of split, sets, reps and progressive overload...

I would recommend different things to beginners depending on their goals and mindset, number of days they have / want to training, lifestyle otherwise, etc.

-S

I have been training very high frequency (each bodypart 4-6x/week) similar to what is outlined here by Borge Fagerli: https://www.elitefts.com/education/train...w-science/

Each session is fairly low volume for each bodypart though and I undulate reps over a heavy, medium, and light (myoreps).

My weekly volume for the major muscle groups is ~10-15 sets across the week.

I always strive for progressive overload in some way. In the past, the main issue was that I would hit a good stride and then have gut issues that would derail me. I am very confident now though that I have this under control.

So, I feel I am somewhat unique in that lifting is a not a novel stimulus for me, but I also am very weak relative to my potential due to being very underweight (~145lbs at 6'3).

I also have very high work capacity. I see very little dropoff in performance with several sets of the same exercise - even when I push the intensity.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate your help!
(12-11-2018, 12:00 PM)ZachM Wrote: I have been training very high frequency (each bodypart 4-6x/week) similar to what is outlined here by Borge Fagerli: https://www.elitefts.com/education/train...w-science/

Each session is fairly low volume for each bodypart though and I undulate reps over a heavy, medium, and light (myoreps).

My weekly volume for the major muscle groups is ~10-15 sets across the week.

I always strive for progressive overload in some way. In the past, the main issue was that I would hit a good stride and then have gut issues that would derail me. I am very confident now though that I have this under control.

So, I feel I am somewhat unique in that lifting is a not a novel stimulus for me, but I also am very weak relative to my potential due to being very underweight (~145lbs at 6'3).

I also have very high work capacity. I see very little dropoff in performance with several sets of the same exercise - even when I push the intensity.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate your help!

Roger the above.

How much progress have you made with Borge's approach?...

I don't know that (changing) training is where I'd start now, if I were you, based on your stats. Eating enough to gain weight would be were I'd place focus.

If you can get enough food in, you can likely gain for quite some time on a given training plan.

Have you ever training more so with a focus gaining strength (in a lower rep ranges)?...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(12-12-2018, 12:39 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Roger the above.

How much progress have you made with Borge's approach?...

I make pretty good progress for a week or so and then stall. I never know if that is due to the volume/intensity or because I fail to properly digest, and therefore, recover. I then taper/deload for a bit and feel strong again for a bit, and repeat.

[/quote]
I don't know that (changing) training is where I'd start now, if I were you, based on your stats. Eating enough to gain weight would be were I'd place focus.

If you can get enough food in, you can likely gain for quite some time on a given training plan.
[/quote]

Yes, that is kind of my thought. I just like the FT setup and have thought about moving to a lower frequency (FT is still high frequency, but lower than what I am doing now).

[/quote]
Have you ever training more so with a focus gaining strength (in a lower rep ranges)?...
[/quote]

Several years back when I didn't have gut issues, yet. I used to be able to bench press the 100lb DBs, front squat about 245, and deadlift 350ish. These are not big numbers, but much stronger than I am now. I was about 165lbs and had been training 2-3 years at that time.

Thanks!

-S

[/quote]

(12-13-2018, 02:53 AM)ZachM Wrote: I make pretty good progress for a week or so and then stall. I never know if that is due to the volume/intensity or because I fail to properly digest, and therefore, recover. I then taper/deload for a bit and feel strong again for a bit, and repeat.

Progress for just a week?...

I'm not sure how Borge's got his program set up, but that's not really progressing at all, if I'm understanding you.

I'd check with him, but there's something definitely awry there. I say this b/c you should have been able to eek out progress for much longer than that with just about any program (and Borge's a sharp guy), so my thought that whatever's at the root of that lack of progress would slow you down no matter what the program.

Quote:Yes, that is kind of my thought. I just like the FT setup and have thought about moving to a lower frequency (FT is still high frequency, but lower than what I am doing now).

Several years back when I didn't have gut issues, yet. I used to be able to bench press the 100lb DBs, front squat about 245, and deadlift 350ish. These are not big numbers, but much stronger than I am now. I was about 165lbs and had been training 2-3 years at that time.

Thanks!

Maybe first check in with Borge. It sounds like you've also got whatever program you were using previously that got you to your previous strength levels as a fall back, too, given you'd be regaining previous strength and muscle mass. Smile

-S
-Scott

(12-13-2018, 12:42 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Progress for just a week?...

I'm not sure how Borge's got his program set up, but that's not really progressing at all, if I'm understanding you.

I'd check with him, but there's something definitely awry there. I say this b/c you should have been able to eek out progress for much longer than that with just about any program (and Borge's a sharp guy), so my thought that whatever's at the root of that lack of progress would slow you down no matter what the program.

Maybe first check in with Borge. It sounds like you've also got whatever program you were using previously that got you to your previous strength levels as a fall back, too, given you'd be regaining previous strength and muscle mass. Smile

-S

Thanks, Scott! I hope I didn't sound like I was blaming Borge's program. It was just based on an article he wrote and I put together the program myself. I think it is probably great. I still very much see him as one of the smart/good guysSmile

I just found FT very tempting so I wanted to give it a shot, but didn't know if I was a good candidate for it.

(12-14-2018, 03:15 AM)ZachM Wrote: Thanks, Scott! I hope I didn't sound like I was blaming Borge's program. It was just based on an article he wrote and I put together the program myself. I think it is probably great. I still very much see him as one of the smart/good guysSmile

I just found FT very tempting so I wanted to give it a shot, but didn't know if I was a good candidate for it.

Sure!

Well, since you've not volunteered how you set up your training such that your progress came to a halt in less than a week, I can't help there. Somethings amiss if that's really the case, I suspect. (I can only guess you were dong the same exercise several times a week and trying to progress and, for instance, stopped progressing on the 4th training day of the week after doing the same exercise / workout for three previous workouts in that same week.)

FT could be good for you, but only if you're able to follow the program, etc.

Right now - whether your'e "qualified" to do FT is still a "black box" to me, b/c it's a very rare thing that someone could stall after training for just a week. Figure out why that happened and you'll know a lot more.

An analogy to make this clearer:

Let's say you've previously been a marathon runner, having run marathons (you've been pretty strong in the past, esp. given your size) and now are back in training. For *some reason* you are exhausted and unable to keep running in training after just 1 mile doing a particular training plan based (?) by the principles set forth by an established coach and are asking about doing another plan. That's a big red flag for moving forward. It could be nothing (misapplication of training principles) that's important or something more vital for progress, e.g., you're not able eat enough to grow, or have very poor recovery abilities, etc.

-S
-Scott