Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for home gym
Hello Everyone!

I’m looking to add a chest press machine to my home gym. I’m torn between the Prime hybrid incline press or flat press. I love both but only have room for one. I leaning towards the incline as one can never have enough upper chest but I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you!!!

Carl
Carl,

What else is in your gym?

Could you post links to the specific machines you're considering?...

Have you tried out both of those machines?... If so, do you like them both equally well?... (Prime makes good stuff, but if, for instance, the incline machine isn't a great upper chest machine for you, then the flat might be a better option, depending on what else you've got in your gym already...)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The best equipment for starting your own home gym, including resistance bands, affordable treadmills, and total-body systems
Best training strap system. TRX GO Suspension Training. ...
Best resistance bands. TheraBand Resistance Bands Set. ...
Best jump rope. Crossrope Get Lean Set. ...
Best slam ball. ...
Best shoes for home workouts.
Hi All.

I'm looking to purchase a good quality Smith Machine for my home gym such as one of the following machines:

-- Cybex Smith Press (Vertical)
-- Hammer Strength Smith Press (Vertical)
-- Hammer Strength Smith Press (Angled)

I don't have a membership to a commercial gym. In fact the only time I've trained at a commercial gym is when I've been on vacation. Together with the lockdown here in the UK and being in the high risk category to COVID-19 (recovering from a cancer diagnosis) I have no chance of trying any of the above machines. Therefore I'm quite prepared to buy one without trying it out first - stupid I know !!!

The question is, would you purchase a traditional vertical machine (90-degrees) or one with an angled slant (7-degrees)?

Marketing literature would have you believe that angled machines promoted a more natural movement than vertical versions thereby reducing the risk of injury. Others would state that they see more shoulder and knee problems with the angled version and that Cybex had it right from the very beginning with their vertical smith press, hence other companies overcomplicating the situation.

Indeed on a vertical machine you would always face the same way. However exercises performed on an angled version, such as incline bench or decline bench, you would rotate the bench accordingly to suit the exercise. However racking the bar may prove more difficult when facing the opposite way.

A smith machine would be a great addition to my home gym and Fortitude Training. My home gym mainly consists of the following equipment:

-- Power Rack
-- Adjustable Bench
-- Lat Machine (High / Low Pulley)
-- Leg Extension / Seated Thigh Curl Machine
-- Hammer Strength Horizontal Leg Press
-- Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Leg Curl
-- Barbells & Dumbbells

I intend using the smith machine for various pressing movements, rows and squats. I understand that the angled version may be better for pressing movements but not all the other exercises.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. As you can understand I can only purchase one version.

Thanks, MJL
All other things being equal, I personally would prefer a vertical (no angle) smith machine. Exercises such as belt squats, Smith lap bar squats, smith sissy hack squats, and somersault squats are all done better with a vertical smith machine, for instance.

The switching of the bench orientation can be a pain in the butt, too and angles of push can be adjusted with the bench.

An angle is nice not n' again for some exercises (e.g., a BO row can feel pretty good pulling back towards oneself), but all in all, vertical wins out in many ways.

I'd also pick the machine that allows the bar to go all the way to the floor. If you want to do full deads or a smith pendlay row, this is easier than standing on a box (and that depth is necessary for most of the leg exercises I mentioned above, which you can find discussed here with vids on youtube).

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-02-2021, 01:06 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: All other things being equal, I personally would prefer a vertical (no angle) smith machine. Exercises such as belt squats, Smith lap bar squats, smith sissy hack squats, and somersault squats are all done better with a vertical smith machine, for instance.

The switching of the bench orientation can be a pain in the butt, too and angles of push can be adjusted with the bench.

An angle is nice not n' again for some exercises (e.g., a BO row can feel pretty good pulling back towards oneself), but all in all, vertical wins out in many ways.

I'd also pick the machine that allows the bar to go all the way to the floor. If you want to do full deads or a smith pendlay row, this is easier than standing on a box (and that depth is necessary for most of the leg exercises I mentioned above, which you can find discussed here with vids on youtube).

-S

Thanks Scott for the informative response. It is very much appreciated.

Regards, MJL
(03-06-2021, 09:22 PM)MJL Wrote: Thanks Scott for the informative response. It is very much appreciated.

Regards, MJL

No worries!!! Let us know what you end up buying!

-S
-Scott

It's really informative for me because I have actually been in such a same need and now I have a good referance, and thanks a lot for this useful converstation. ~ Toko Online Manarafurniture.com ~
It's a good idea to focus on your upper shoulder girdle - it's an important muscle group to target, especially if you're working out at home. If you're looking for a fun way to diversify your workout, have you thought about adding some punches? A punching bag can be a great addition to any home gym, especially if you live in an apartment. If you don't have a lot of space, you should check out the best punching bags for apartments, as there are some excellent options. I wish you the best of luck with your workouts and all the best.