Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uneven Leg size how to fix with FT?
Trying to figure out an ideal way of fixing this issue. My right Leg is substantially bigger than my left.(a pattern at my job over years created this).
Anyways I'm trying to figure out what would be the most optimal way to do this with FT.

Past few loading Leg workouts I've noticed the strength gap which I never have before.

Should I pre exhaust that leg on those days? Or when doing extension work do it unilateral and maybe an extra round on the weaker Leg of the 2? As long as recover is adequate?
Or keep loading day as is and really focus on this with pump work? Since I can do it primarily unilateral with Leg press, split squats, knee ext, lunges? If so, should I lead with weaker Leg and just match reps with stronger Leg?

Also, would it be ideal with Cluster also? Just do 1 Leg then immediately other, and just run that but stop at reps where weaker Leg fails?

Unsure how long it will take to.fix imbalance, but hey better than never.

Thanks!

Spud,

Few question: 

What's the pattern at work that created this issue?  Which muscles in particular?...

How much is the size difference?  (Circumference differences at thigh and calf would indicate this.)

Can you post pics?...

How are you seeing the differences in strength manifest in during loading sets?... (Just the one leg giving out / feeling more fatigued than the stronger / larger one?...)  Which exercises in particular?

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The movement pattern is similar to a lunge ( warehouse setting walking around pallets and wrapping them).

The size difference is just over 1 inch in circumference for quad, calves are relatively same size.

I can tell on loading movmenets due to stronger Leg trying to take the brunt of the work. And it does also fatigue a bit quicker.

Pretty much all loading work I do I notice it. 
Smith squats
V squat
Hacks (this movement the least but, really bothers knees and quad tendon)
Leg press ( any machine)

It seems adductor paired with whole Leg it's self.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-07-2021, 05:41 AM)Spud Wrote: The movement pattern is similar to a lunge ( warehouse setting walking around pallets and wrapping them).

The size difference is just over 1 inch in circumference for quad, calves are relatively same size.

I can tell on loading movmenets due to stronger Leg trying to take the brunt of the work. And it does also fatigue a bit quicker.

Pretty much all loading work I do I notice it. 
Smith squats
V squat
Hacks (this movement the least but, really bothers knees and quad tendon)
Leg press ( any machine)

It seems adductor paired with whole Leg it's self.

Yes, seeing it now.

So, can you use the weaker leg at work?... Simply start doing things in the opposite way you have been?... 

Also - I couldn't quite tell from your response:

Is the larger right leg fatiguing more (from taking over) or the left (smaller) one fatiguing more (such that the right ends up shouldering the load more so?...)

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-08-2021, 02:22 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yes, seeing it now.

So, can you use the weaker leg at work?... Simply start doing things in the opposite way you have been?... 

Also - I couldn't quite tell from your response:

Is the larger right leg fatiguing more (from taking over) or the left (smaller) one fatiguing more (such that the right ends up shouldering the load more so?...)

-S

I've tried to switch the way I do this at work but I always go back to old ways since it's more optimal and I actually have tripped and fell a few times hah! Super uncoordinated. But I keep trying to force it to normality.

Sorry for confusion.
It's not entirely a fatigue issue, but more or less I feel the stronger Leg take the brunt of the work. So any bilateral work I can feel stronger Leg take over movement. 
So I guess this would mean my smaller Leg is substantially weaker and body is compensating? 

[quote="Spud" pid='25122' dateline='1625687871']

I've tried to switch the way I do this at work but I always go back to old ways since it's more optimal and I actually have tripped and fell a few times hah! Super uncoordinated. But I keep trying to force it to normality.[/quote]

LOL!  Well it's not worth getting hurt over, but you might still continue that when / if you can.

[quote]
Sorry for confusion.
It's not entirely a fatigue issue, but more or less I feel the stronger Leg take the brunt of the work. So any bilateral work I can feel stronger Leg take over movement. 
So I guess this would mean my smaller Leg is substantially weaker and body is compensating? 
[/quote]

So, do you feel like you simply can't / don't engage the weaker leg, such that your drive is coming from the larger one?...

Are you feeling more of a sense of fatigue (burning sensation or maybe that it just won't activate as you get close to failure or something else) in the smaller leg or the larger one?...

-S

-Scott

(07-08-2021, 11:24 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: So, do you feel like you simply can't / don't engage the weaker leg, such that your drive is coming from the larger one?...

Are you feeling more of a sense of fatigue (burning sensation or maybe that it just won't activate as you get close to failure or something else) in the smaller leg or the larger one?...

-S

Yes. When getting closer to a failure point it seems as if the stronger leg takes over the movement. And feels as if smaller Leg gets minimal activation compared to larger quad. 
(07-09-2021, 06:22 AM)Spud Wrote: Yes. When getting closer to a failure point it seems as if the stronger leg takes over the movement. And feels as if smaller Leg gets minimal activation compared to larger quad. 

OK - this is important, IMO.

First things first - I would see if you can get in to see a massage therapist, chiro, Physical therapist (aka physiotherapist in some countries) or even better a podiatrist to see if you have a leg length discrepancy.  That could be largely at play here to some degree and a custom orthotic or even just a heel lift could help.

This is what I would do:

Don't let the above happen.  Make it your intention that all bilateral movements are completely focused on the smaller leg, with the right let there to ensure that you're balanced, symmetrical and maintaining good biomechanical form.

When the sets come get near failure, all your focus is on the smaller leg. If going to failure, when it fails i.e., you can't drive the load up / control the load with pure mind-muscle focus on the smaller legs, then the set is over.  This should go for all set types and especially Pump sets where you can really spend some time in a fatigued set learning the skill of keeping a mind-muscle connection with the smaller leg.

This isn't something that's been studied quite a bit (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jak...tion.pdf), but I suspect this is in part neurological issue (secondary to possibly a skeletal / biomechcanical issue), that's been perpetuated over time by your handedness and the fact that you've got a larger motor on the stronger, larger, right side, which perpetuates the use of this leg over time. 

I would also do unilateral movements (particularly MR's) as often as possible and simply match reps (as you mentioned above) with the stronger side. (E.g., don't take the right side to failure on a MR - just match reps in the failure set of the MR.)  You'll not lose any size in that side, I don't suspect, and this should bring up the fatigue resistance in the weaker side. 

Also, experienced trainees will tend to have bilateral facilitation d/t training bilaterally for the most part. [This means (max) activation is greater using both legs vs. one at a time which shows up as greater strength / load with two legs vs. summing unilateral strength.  An 8 plate leg presser for 10 reps might only use 3 plates / side (yes the carriage makes a difference of course) when using one leg at a time. You probably have in particular a unilateral deficit that's most evident in the weaker leg (2 PPS for the left vs. 3 PPS or maybe more on the right.)  

SO the above is a fancy way of saying that you can do unilateral work to exploit what seems to be an activation deficit (I'm guessing) on the smaller leg.   

-S
-Scott