Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failure training question
Question.
 Failure training means straight reps and no pausing within the set to regain some air/ energy? I believe I’ve heard Scott state not pausing helps to minimize cns fatigue. Unsure if via podcast or book.
Big concern of mine, just got out of a gi flare of 2 years (colitis flare via cns fatigue. Hard labor job  plus training) and dont want to have it return. But i really enjoy the program and honestly, if progressive failure training isnt there, i have zero desire to lift. Rir sucks. Used to train failure almost like a widowmaker (regardless of rep range) and im unsure if my idea of failure training was incorrect?
Hey man,

As far as I have learned from Doc itself from his podcasts, failure training means doing as much rep as possible without loosing your form unless you are not training with a training partner. However failure at Loading Set and Muscle Rounds in FT system is a bit different.

I believe Doc mentions in his FT book, he talks only for Loading Sets where you should not pause to regain some energy because they should in continuous fashion. However you should pick a correct weight in order to fail between 6-12 reps without pausing.

However for Muscle Rounds, you should pick a weight where you fail at 15 reps in a straight set fashion and you will try to use that weight with 4 reps in 6 sets where you rest 10 sec in between sets. The aim here is that instead of you fail at 15 reps in a straight set you fail 24 reps in Muscle Rounds. Another important point is that you should reach failure in the 6th Set at 4th rep in Muscle Round so selecting the correct weight is quite important.
(10-16-2022, 03:43 PM)beans Wrote: Question.
 Failure training means straight reps and no pausing within the set to regain some air/ energy? I believe I’ve heard Scott state not pausing helps to minimize cns fatigue. Unsure if via podcast or book.
Big concern of mine, just got out of a gi flare of 2 years (colitis flare via cns fatigue. Hard labor job  plus training) and dont want to have it return. But i really enjoy the program and honestly, if progressive failure training isnt there, i have zero desire to lift. Rir sucks. Used to train failure almost like a widowmaker (regardless of rep range) and im unsure if my idea of failure training was incorrect?

When performing reps (this doesn't hold during the intentional rest periods between sets of a Muscle Round), the reps are continuous in FT.  If you just have to reposition, that's cool but grinding out a set to get energy / prolong the set is now how I suggest the sets be executed: Continous tension is the goal.  I've explained a TON of time - probably here - but the idea is to:

Standard rep execution for the purposes of progressive overload (where applicable / when logging set performance).  

Pump sets are NOT done like widow makers - the tension should be continuous during pump sets.    

The general overarching idea is to avoid the negative impact of grinding away with 0-1 RIR reps (ala a widow maker), as there is a diminished return on investment (as fun as they are!). 

After a Truly grind it out WM set there is substantial impact on your ability to do more sets to failure, so the failure points are limited (as described in the book for each set type), to all accruing more volume - there is a dose-adaptation  relation ship here - per your recovery.

The book describes explicitly how / when failure is reached in the different set types, so you might want to go back and read that. 

I've not seen this studied directly, but my strong sense is that more "effective reps" will be possible per workout and over the long haul, for some individuals at least, by limiting true failure points in this fashion (many working sets with 1-2 RIR , but some sets are truly taken to failure.

The true failure point sets are also VERY helpful for logging progression:  IF you, per you ability to do so, truly reach failure, then there is a distinct performance measurement, minus the guessing of how may reps you might have done.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The relationship between spiritual gifts and faith
Studying the role of charismatic gifts 02fdd6_

Attached Files
.gif   196.gif (Size: 3.29 KB / Downloads: 0)