Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(12-24-2019, 06:41 PM)Robbie Wrote: Hi Scott, have you talked anywhere about how much glycerin you use? I used to use 20-30g which I'm sure was based on something I'd read, be good to know what your take on it is?

I've been asked about it at least a dozen times (I thought here, too, but not sure).

You'd need about 1g / kg for hyperhydration and the idea would be to start taking that in with at good amount of fluid (1.5L +) an hour or so before the workout.

I use about a 70cc protein scoop (~ 1g/kg, but just mix it in with a very large 48oz peri-WO shake I start drinking on the ride to the gym.

I refill that with water during the workout- Drink about ½, refill with water usually once - to dilute it over time and drink more water as needed.

I've even seen data showing that the (small) powdered glycerol in doses used in OTC supps can increase hydration. (Published only at a conference.)

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sim...000000.pdf

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hi, Scott - hope you're well in these crazy times! I'm making my way through this thread again but it's taking a while, planning on running FT when the gyms reopen (I've not looked as good as I did when I was training this way 3 years ago).

Was thinking about possible exercises to do and wondered what you thought about using a unilateral exercise for isolation (split squats for quads for example), not sure if this is a route I'm going to go down - but with the layout of my gym it would open up more possibilities without having to try and hold equipment between 3 long rooms. I was thinking that if I did do an isolation I'd rest before switching sides.

Thanks Smile
(12-24-2019, 06:41 PM)Robbie Wrote: Hi Scott, have you talked anywhere about how much glycerin you use? I used to use 20-30g which I'm sure was based on something I'd read, be good to know what your take on it is?

I end up using what's about 90g (filling up a 70ml protein scoop) - that I'll drink over 90min or so. (The hydration research with endurance exercise in the heat points to 1g/kg being a dose that has reliable effects - mixed in at least a liter or so of fluid.

I'm putting this in a 44oz (I think it is) super sized shaker bottle that I fill top off with water as the workout progresses, so I'm probably taking in at least .5-¾ gallon (2-3L) over this time.

Having enough water is super important to avoid GI distress.

You can also start smaller and move up.

Remember that glycerol has calories, too, that would need to be considered when dieting down especially.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(05-01-2020, 04:40 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I end up using what's about 90g (filling up a 70ml protein scoop) - that I'll drink over 90min or so. (The hydration research with endurance exercise in the heat points to 1g/kg being a dose that has reliable effects - mixed in at least a liter or so of fluid.

I'm putting this in a 44oz (I think it is) super sized shaker bottle that I fill top off with water as the workout progresses, so I'm probably taking in at least .5-¾ gallon (2-3L) over this time.

Having enough water is super important to avoid GI distress.

You can also start smaller and move up.

Remember that glycerol has calories, too, that would need to be considered when dieting down especially.

-S

Thanks - but you know you already answered that? Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-01-2020, 01:57 AM)Robbie Wrote: Hi, Scott - hope you're well in these crazy times! I'm making my way through this thread again but it's taking a while, planning on running FT when the gyms reopen (I've not looked as good as I did when I was training this way 3 years ago).

Was thinking about possible exercises to do and wondered what you thought about using a unilateral exercise for isolation (split squats for quads for example), not sure if this is a route I'm going to go down - but with the layout of my gym it would open up more possibilities without having to try and hold equipment between 3 long rooms. I was thinking that if I did do an isolation I'd rest before switching sides.

Thanks Smile

I'm guessing you mean a unilateral exercise when zig-zagging, i.e., for Loading Sets.

If so, yes, you can do that, but I'd do the sets one, right after the others (with minimal rest between sets for each side). Otherwise, you'd end up with a large rest differential between the two legs that at the very least would change the nature of the training stimulus for one side vs. another (e.g., if that were the last exercise you zig-zagged) and also create an asymmetry when doing exercises after the unilateral exercise.

Also, it being unilateral, it shouldn't tax you cardiovascularly so much that you'll need a long break, although I know romanian split squats can whack you pretty good. (The rest interval between zig-zagged sets is longer for Thighs for this reason - to be sure that being "gassed out" isn't the reason you reach failure during your sets.)

If you have one side that's smaller / weaker than the other, I'd simply train that one first and then match reps on the other side (if the size differential is high) or alternate which side you train first, if there's no unilateral discrepancy you're concerned about and just take them both to 1-2 reps shy of failure, or failure if the last set and it's a compound exercise - same rules as when using bilateral compound movements.

-S

-Scott

That’s great thanks, all this off time is giving me lots of time to plan and over think everything Big Grin
(05-03-2020, 02:13 AM)Robbie Wrote: That’s great thanks, all this off time is giving me lots of time to plan and over think everything Big Grin

No problem. Keep up that thinking, though... A bit more time (or without me to provide an answer) and I imagine you'd have come up with what I mentioned above. Smile

-S
-Scott

I’ve now read all 1794 posts in this thread. There’s actually only about 5 different questions in the whole thing, not so much a deep dive as a shallow paddle Smile

(05-08-2020, 06:11 PM)Robbie Wrote: I’ve now read all #1794 posts in this thread. There’s actually only about 5 different questions in the whole thing, not so much a deep dive as a shallow paddle Smile

That's impressive, especially given that yours comes up as post 1475! Smile

Trust me, I know that the questions are repetitive... LOL

-S

-Scott

(05-09-2020, 12:17 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: That's impressive, especially given that yours comes up as post 1475! Smile

Trust me, I know that the questions are repetitive... LOL

-S

Oh yeah! That’s what happens after reading about zigzagging for the 100th time Big Grin