Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(11-01-2016, 12:36 AM)Kabhattacharya Wrote: Hey Dr S,

Didn't mean for the post to be not so well thought out - but it guess it came across that way

During my time in the states there will be a lot of travelling and overnight stays in different hotels and places - a lot of these are in rural areas (close to factories) and in my experience they typically don't have gyms so I thought 10 days of a break may end up doing some good given that my joints are feeling pretty neat and my right shoulder is feeling awful

I am aware of your suggestion in the book of using MRs during travel.

I understand what you mean with the isometric holds - they would create a difficult to measure variable which may not reflect like to like in the log book making true and accurate tracking difficult. I think I'll go for the momentary pause as you suggest to ensure variability in rep style and tempo is limited and week on week comparisons are accurate

I did go through the MD book again and much like what Arthur jones tried with nautilus cams the bands and chains are attempts at matching resistance and strength curves - my last experience using it on machines I had maxed out for loading was positive - so I'm thinking of bringing it back into the mix for the next blast.

As for the pre chest pressing movement I'm guessing when you say fatigue you mean the set is not to be taken to failure? So on flat smith press my typical warm up is something like this

Fatigue refers to anything that reduced performance.

Quote:135 x 10
185 x 5
200 x 3
225 x 1
230 x working set

Are you suggesting that prior to the working set I could do a more isolated pec move say flat cable flye press for 8-10 not to failure rest a couple of minutes and then go to 230 x working set?

No, I'm suggesting you not fatigue your pec muscles before loading sets with an isolation movement.

If you want to do a movement that helps you warm up neurologically so you can feel the pecs and target them, then that's fine.

Quote:I didn't mean Mike Mentzer style pre exhausting where the ISO-compound movements are supersetted without any rest my original idea was to do something like this

Finish warm ups on flat smith press, and let's say machine flye press x failure rest 2 minutes and then straight into the working set on flat smith press

You're free to do if you want...

Quote:I'll lower the weight on pump sets although I haven't been performing the reps in a discontinuous fashion I take your point about drop sets allowing for a break in the middle of the set. I'll also invest in a g shock watch so I can monitor my MR rest periods more accurately.

I do NOT suggest people employ a drop set technique during pump sets because of the impact on one's CNS, etc.

Finally this is a question or rather a search for ideas for anyone out there reading it

Quote:My gym currently has a flat bench and barbell, an adjustable bench and smith machine and a converging seated chest press as well as a cable cross over station and pec dec

My ideas for chest loading movements are as follows if there are any I've missed pls do let me know your thoughts

Flat smith presss
Various degrees of incline smith press
Flat cable chest press
Various degrees of incline cable chest press
Pec dec
Of course seated converging chest press
Most of the above can be done with bands to add a little variation from blast to blast
We do have dumbells in my gym but they peak out at 55 lbs so not very helpful for chest pressing movements

Do you or any of the other senior forum members know any tweaked / weird chest movements that you've incorporated yourselves to make things fresh and would t mind sharing? If there's someplace on the forum that already has this I'll gladly look there first.

You've seemingly missed that loading sets are supposed to be your go to mass builders that you've used over time, that lend themselves to heavy lifting.

All in the book, man. page 87 onward.

Quote:anyway thanks again Dr S - appreciate your advice as always - please do understand I'm not trying to be lazy here I love lifting - it's been an integral part of my life for years your system of variable volume and load with high frequency has worked wonders for me - so whenever I get stuck or have a bad workout I always immediately want to get to the bottom of it - hence the posting of innumerable questions up here

Thanks

Joshua

My only issue with this is that the book answers most of these and most of the rest have been answered / addressed here on the board already.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-26-2016, 08:35 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yes, it seems that your back is NOT recovering as well as you suspected it would / does based on the past. You might try doing back isolation work for Pump sets (pullovers, pulldowns using the hanging ab straps - I think I might need to make a video doing those).

-S

Would love to see these Scott! Im assuming this will take the majority of the bicep activation away and load the lats directly.

(11-02-2016, 07:39 PM)Steedee Wrote: Would love to see these Scott! Im assuming this will take the majority of the bicep activation away and load the lats directly.

Yes, that's the idea. It take a little getting used to as far as using the pads to drive the weight down (and not to have to grip to hold them in place). These as great for Pump sets. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(11-02-2016, 07:39 PM)Steedee Wrote: Would love to see these Scott! Im assuming this will take the majority of the bicep activation away and load the lats directly.

Here you go!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMXq0Q0jbfc/...e_training

-S
-Scott

^ those are gold! Nice thinking sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(11-04-2016, 08:00 PM)phoebeusfenix Wrote: ^ those are gold! Nice thinking sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I forget about things I've come up with. (I figured that one out maybe a decade ago?...)

-S
-Scott

(11-04-2016, 11:38 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Here you go!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMXq0Q0jbfc/...e_training

-S

Stealing these.
(11-05-2016, 01:40 AM)Steedee Wrote: Stealing these.

LOL! (Can you really steal them, when you asked for them and then I brought them to you?... )

-S
-Scott

Got a question about dead lifts

Now I searched and you prefer tout them as a back thickness exercise
Some points for me
If I were to do deads on an upper loading day, most subsequent work would be subpart
Floor pulls, I feel it all in my posterior and erector... yet very little quads, which I do know they will still stimulate indirectly

I'm coming from a five day full body split, during which I would put legs in the middle of my workout, before arms/deltas, and after chest/back
This worked rather well

If I put it with lower loading, would you suggest making it the primary movement since it is a compound or make it the secondary,
I have two sets of ham loading, since my quads are already well developed
So as the secondary it would only be two sets not as CNS intensive compared to the primary which is three

In my rotation I have
Leg press primary
Then deads secondary

If numbers would help I have a 600 pull and am doing sets of 10 with 5plates @200lbs
Ive yet to hit this week but my overthinking is getting to me and best to ask for a suggestion

Cheers
Hi guys, I'm new here and I know this question has been asked many many times before but I am still confused as to set out my program.

I am starting on basic tier 1 so first day is lower load upper pump.. I was going to select these exercises for my "A" group as its my first week.

Load:

Squat (Thigh)
Close stance leg press or leg press (Quads)
BB RDL's (Hams)

Adductor Machine
Seated calf raise.

Pump:

ISO Chest press machine
Superset
ISO Seated row machine

ISO Shoulder press machine
Superset
Ab Crunch Machine

Cable Rope Hammer Curl
Superset
Cable Tricep Pushdowns

Now the issue I have is how do I progress? Looking at the book it says a typical blast lasts 6 weeks and there is a diagram at the bottom of pg.83 showing
1st week tier 1
2nd week tier 2
3rd week tier 3
4th & 5th week can be any tier depending how I feel recovery wise.

Next week (my second on the program) am I meant to go onto tier 2 A exercises then in my third week Tier 3 A exercises? then say if I revert back to Tier 2 for week 4 do I then Hit the B set of exercises or revert back to the A and try beat my lifts (progressive overload)?

I am confused as when to use the different set of exercises A,B,C.

Many thanks.