Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(03-25-2017, 12:33 AM)Stewilliams Wrote: What kind of methods should be utitlised for pump sets? For knee extensions (just using them as an example) I've played around slightly and started using a format of 5 full reps, followed by 5 partials then back to 5 full reps and so on. I take this to failure and this week decided to then add eccentric holds on top. So I doubled the weight then used the handle to spot the concentric lift before lowering in as slow and controlled a manner as I could. Are these added eccentric holds overkill or are they the kind of thing that can be utilised? I realise that they will increase muscular damage which may not be desired on a programme with such a high training frequency (especially using the turbo version). Are they be fine to use as its only one all out set? I enjoy implementing them as they're so brutal that they've shown me if I fail to meet the criteria to get into heaven, that hell won't be all that bad anyway haha.

To your first question, there is no straight answer beyond, whatever stimulates growth is effective, and is done in a continuous fashion, no breaks at all! If its too much you either need to move down a tier, or alter the method in which you are doing your pump sets. It's the nature of the auto-regulatory part of the program.

What you described looks like you did a set. Stopped, and then increased the weight and did a series of controlled negatives?. Pump sets should be continuous in nature, with constant tension. So drop sets, increasing or decreasing weight, or re positioning feet / hands, grip, etc is pretty much a no-no.

To add a bit of anecdotal info. I got to a point (maybe a year ago?) where I was really trying to take my pump sets FAR beyond failure. I was doing 5's into the hole, plus partials, plus assisted negatives followed by weighted isometric holds. Hell for a time I was doing 5's in the hole for back with a technically drop set. (so it was a double 5's into the hole, back to back) I was like 2+ minutes straight of reps and partials continuously. Ha! For myself personally I found this did nothing to except make me really sore, tried, and took a lot of time in the gym. Not saying it won't work for you. But I personally found greater success in constraining myself to, 1st really figuring out what pump set style, rep range,and order worked for each muscle group. and 2nd focusing on ONE style (be it partials, negatives, reverse 21's, 7's, 1½ reps, or just busting out a straight set of 20+) and pouring 100% effort into that style, perhaps an iso hold or slow negative if I was feeling frisky, do a great stretch and move on. I'm still trying to basically kill myself with these sets, but I think there just comes a point of diminishing returns, you are putting out more than you are getting back. Everyone sort of has to find that point or balance in which they feel like the brutality they are putting themselves through is effective!! and not just hard for the sake of being hard. And everyone has to find there own line there.

Basically a long winded way to saying, you're just going to have to play with it and figure it out. Wink

EDIT: Reworded a lot of stuff Wink sorry!
(03-24-2017, 11:23 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Could you explain a bit more about how your'e doing the Pump Sets?... (Are the reps still continuous?... Of those, let's say 35 reps, how many are full range of motion reps and how many partials?...)

-S
Roughly 30-40 full range of motion, then I'll do 5-10 partials until nothing is left. Similar to Tom Platzs method of doing leg extentions. I'll zig zag with an opposing muscle group, so like chest machine press with wide grip pull down. If I am to do 2 sets per body part for this, I'm completely toast.

I feel as if these end up being the most painful part of FT.
(03-24-2017, 11:56 PM)Altamir Wrote: So whatever you need to do the most work for, do a MR for that, for the other do a pump set. So if you need to bring up your hamstrings, do a hamstring MR and a pump set for quads. Reverse if your situation is the opposite.

Here's another point to keep in mind. I'll say for myself, my hamstrings are behind my quads, I try to place as much training focus on them as possible. However, IMO auto-regulation should come first. I've had plenty of times coming into a lower MR session and my hamstrings are busted from the weeks previous work. A MR would honestly be counter productive. I'll do quad MR / hamstring pump and make sure I'm fresh to keep pushing forward in my blast. Besides if they are that toast. I've already got my work in for the week. In my mind I'm ahead of schedule Wink. So I know and am happy with a great pump set that is going to stimulate growth, push blood into the muscle, but also give it a little break and allow me to push other aspects of my physique.

Nice. Same here I was just doing mr for all the legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-24-2017, 11:56 PM)Altamir Wrote: So whatever you need to do the most work for, do a MR for that, for the other do a pump set. So if you need to bring up your hamstrings, do a hamstring MR and a pump set for quads. Reverse if your situation is the opposite.

Here's another point to keep in mind. I'll say for myself, my hamstrings are behind my quads, I try to place as much training focus on them as possible. However, IMO auto-regulation should come first. I've had plenty of times coming into a lower MR session and my hamstrings are busted from the weeks previous work. A MR would honestly be counter productive. I'll do quad MR / hamstring pump and make sure I'm fresh to keep pushing forward in my blast. Besides if they are that toast. I've already got my work in for the week. In my mind I'm ahead of schedule Wink. So I know and am happy with a great pump set that is going to stimulate growth, push blood into the muscle, but also give it a little break and allow me to push other aspects of my physique.

Altamir is THE MAN!!!!

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-25-2017, 10:30 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Altamir is THE MAN!!!!

-S

Agreed!

(03-25-2017, 10:30 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Altamir is THE MAN!!!!

-S

I hope you're paying him a salary Scott!
(03-25-2017, 11:24 PM)Stewilliams Wrote: I hope you're paying him a salary Scott!

lol I figured he was!

(03-25-2017, 11:24 PM)Stewilliams Wrote: I hope you're paying him a salary Scott!

(03-26-2017, 04:09 AM)Powerof2 Wrote: lol I figured he was!

Smile

I have the sense Altamir reaps the benefits of helping in much the same way I do. There is intrinsic value in doing the "right" thing by others.

Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-26-2017, 11:33 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Smile

I have the sense Altamir reaps the benefits of helping in much the same way I do. There is intrinsic value in doing the "right" thing by others.

Smile

-S

Amen

Haha. I was shying away from replying as not to clutter this thread up, but feel a bit obligated now Wink Scott hit the nail on the head.

I have gained SO much knowledge from Scott (Who is truly "THE MAN"). Not only information he has plainly given out, but also in the way he has constructed his program and his philosophy of teaching. I feel very grateful to be able to be able to share what knowledge I have, share my passion with like minded people, and hopefully give back in a small way to both the community and Scott personally for what has been given to me.

Thank you all for the compliments. I am sincerely humbled and glad to be of any help. Smile Back to your usually scheduled FT Question thread Wink