Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Hi guys,

Currently ending my 2nd week, first blast cycle => Freaking loving it Heart

Just few questions :

-During day 3 & 4, doing 1 MR takes approximately 1:30 min
Scott say if you take 10 min between MR = decent pace
but in my case i rest ~2min (even for bigger muscle groups) and I'm fine because wtf do you want me to do during 10 min (other than stretch after last set) ? despondent
Am I doing it wrong or is it fine to keep going ?

-About the abdominal work, in my case Basic Tier II, I have 2 pump sets and 1 MR, I find it's very low volume (specially while cutting) even the calf got much more work.
What do u recommand, is it possible to do more volume and/or frequencies ?

- Last question, the topic is the diet, what's your opinion about keto diet while cutting ?
After doing some research to get efficiency I have find these data :
Calorie balance 65-70% Fat / 25-30% Prot / 5% Carbs
Length : at least 4 to 6 weeks
Only vegetables (spinach, broccoli)
6 meals daily
Carbs Refeed only after 2 weeks then 1 day / week / max

biggrin
(04-28-2017, 05:45 PM)Tintin Wrote: Hi guys,

Just few questions :

but in my case i rest ~2min (even for bigger muscle groups) and I'm fine because wtf do you want me to do during 10 min (other than stretch after last set) ? despondent

-About the abdominal work, in my case Basic Tier II, I have 2 pump sets and 1 MR, I find it's very low volume (specially while cutting) even the calf got much more work.

- Last question, the topic is the diet, what's your opinion about keto diet while cutting ?
6 meals daily

biggrin

In regards to the first question I noticed the same thing until I really learned to push the intensity on those muscle rounds. The first blast was spent feeling them out and learning to generate the intensity needed to make them effective. 2+ years later and I can really understand what Scott means about needing decent time to recover between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-28-2017, 01:52 AM)phoebeusfenix Wrote: In regards to the strength I've still been increasing very steadily. 2.5 years of FT and haven't gotten 'bored' or hit a big plateau yet, so in that regard I am good to go.

I am by no means complaining about my progress, I was 15lbs heavier on stage on my last outing after using FT for a year and a half or so.

I am just thinking what is the quickest way to slap on the most amount of muscle possible, is it by getting fat with no regard to body fat, or staying a bit leaner and grinding away.

Like you said in your previous podcast, consistency is key, and it's paying dividends, just always looking for a quicker route ha. I'll shut up now.

Thank you for the input.

Great progress, man!!! Smile Smile Smile

The law of diminishing returns means that you will need to create a greater stimulus, provide more food, use more supplements the larger you get. This will ultimately mean weighing more and you can answer your question about gaining muscle mass with body fat estimation

You can only add muscle so quickly, but fat can be stored fairly easily, but this VARIES for everyone. Someone who gets fat easily and has a heck of a time losing it will not want to balloon up when / if staying leaner works for them (i.e., they still gain muscle mass).

Some guys who have trouble gaining body fat won't / CAN'T really get terribly fat, but they may have to get fatter than they have before (at least in terms of total amount of body fat, as %BF may not be that different with more muscle mass). So, for that person, there might not be any practical limit in terms of body fat, as gaining muscle is the hardest part.

Ultimately, wherever you might lie on this spectrum, you'll need to push forward to get more muscle mass. If you are not making gains at a given body fat en route to the muscle mass you'd like / want, then you'll need to push harder, which will very possibly mean more body fat. (This is why folks like to include mini-diets - to hold new muscle, drop fat and then have some room to grow without getting overly fat.)

Again, for one person, getting fat is easy and this doesn't accelerate muscle gain, whereas for another, eating as if trying to get fat might be the only way to gain new muscle mass (although that person won't get fat).

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-28-2017, 05:45 PM)Tintin Wrote: Hi guys,

Just few questions :

I'd re-read that section. Smile

I wrote, "Rest between Muscle Rounds should be enough to prepare for the next MR. Generally, if you’re doing a MR every 10 minutes, you’ve moving at a decent pace. (A faster pace for smaller muscle groups, and slower pace for larger muscle groups makes sense.)"

A MR every 10 min, not resting 10 min between. Smile

If you warm-up for 3 min, take 2 min to do your MR, rest 2 min before warming up again (another 3 min) and then start your next MR, you have
3min W-iu
2 min MR
2min Rest
3 min WU
Start next MR...
Rest 2min

Etc, thats about a 10 min pace. If you do a MR with 10plates on a leg press it'll take you longer (loading and unloading) than if you do a MR with a selectorized machine, for instance.

Quote:-About the abdominal work, in my case Basic Tier II, I have 2 pump sets and 1 MR, I find it's very low volume (specially while cutting) even the calf got much more work.

Sure, it's possible.

I suggest working harder. Smile Progress those MR's upward and make the pump sets "death sets" where if someone might think you're about to give birth on the gym floor.

Quote:- Last question, the topic is the diet, what's your opinion about keto diet while cutting ?
6 meals daily

biggrin

So, please do make use of the search function here. Smile

I am a fan of low carb diets (or low carb non-training days), but I think the virtues of a keto diet *from a bodybuilding* perspective are a bit overrated, except for the effect they have in blunting hunger.

I'm not a fan of training a muscle group more than twice without a carb-up of some sort to replace lost glycogen and aid in recovery. This is not going to work with the generic approach you have there.

I'd suggest picking up and reading Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet. Still the best guide out there as far as CKD's, TKD's, etc. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-28-2017, 11:11 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Great progress, man!!! Smile Smile Smile

The law of diminishing returns means that you will need to create a greater stimulus, provide more food, use more supplements the larger you get. This will ultimately mean weighing more and you can answer your question about gaining muscle mass with body fat estimation

You can only add muscle so quickly, but fat can be stored fairly easily, but this VARIES for everyone. Someone who gets fat easily and has a heck of a time losing it will not want to balloon up when / if staying leaner works for them (i.e., they still gain muscle mass).

Some guys who have trouble gaining body fat won't / CAN'T really get terribly fat, but they may have to get fatter than they have before (at least in terms of total amount of body fat, as %BF may not be that different with more muscle mass). So, for that person, there might not be any practical limit in terms of body fat, as gaining muscle is the hardest part.

Ultimately, wherever you might lie on this spectrum, you'll need to push forward to get more muscle mass. If you are not making gains at a given body fat en route to the muscle mass you'd like / want, then you'll need to push harder, which will very possibly mean more body fat. (This is why folks like to include mini-diets - to hold new muscle, drop fat and then have some room to grow without getting overly fat.)

Again, for one person, getting fat is easy and this doesn't accelerate muscle gain, whereas for another, eating as if trying to get fat might be the only way to gain new muscle mass (although that person won't get fat).

-S

I see this a lot in amateur bodybuilders. Always wanting to step up to the next class. But they are hitting a show or 2 every year. Mini cuts work wonders for me. I'll hit a body weight say 220 no problem. I can do this with very little fat gain. If I want to go up after this point I have to change something. I already train my ass off and adding more supplements I'm not comfortable with. So I have to except my this option. Eat a lot more and and some fat. I'll push my fat to around 12%. For me I feel after this point the fat will comes faster than the muscle so I'll pull back hit a short cut reset and restart. The proses seems very slow when I step back and look it from a year long stance. The scale overall isn't the best way for me to see my progress. Pictures do the trick. My weight hasn't made any huge change in the last 5 years but my looks would make u think differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone else perform "cage presses" on muscle round days?

They're an all time favorite of mine and I added them in today for the first time.... Brutality at its finest.
Thank you for your answer Mr Stevenson, very appreciated ! Blush

Just about the last point, keto diet.

(04-28-2017, 11:22 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: So, please do make use of the search function here. Smile

I am a fan of low carb diets (or low carb non-training days), but I think the virtues of a keto diet *from a bodybuilding* perspective are a bit overrated, except for the effect they have in blunting hunger.

I'm not a fan of training a muscle group more than twice without a carb-up of some sort to replace lost glycogen and aid in recovery. This is not going to work with the generic approach you have there.

I'd suggest picking up and reading Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet. Still the best guide out there as far as CKD's, TKD's, etc. Smile

-S

Following this I've read Lyle McDonald's book "The Ketogenic Diet", Dan Duchaine's book "The Anabolic Diet" and Underground BodyOpus's book.

I have some difficulties to understand everything ( first because it's against preconceived ideas of classical bodybuilding, second because my english is poor.
) BUT I think have understood that the CKD may be very interesting to cut fat (and may be used to gain mass, Dan Duchaine say so but Lyle McDo seems not convinced)

My actual goal is to remove my excess bodyfat on my belly, vestige of a shameful past, so I would like to give it a shot.

So, I don't ask you to establish my diet, but would much appreciated as always if you can give me your green light with this :

Cyclical Keto Diet
Monday to Friday
2000 kcal
Prot 35%
Fat 60%
Carbs 5% (from veggies)

Saturday & Sunday: Carb load
2000kcal
Prot 20%
Fat : 35%
Carbs : 45%

EDIT : what do you recommand between carb load saturday & sunday OR start loading on friday after last workout till saturday night ??

Here a typical week day :

7am
Waking up Lime juice + water
Vitamins + 1 cap Omega 3

4 scrambled eggs
Olive oil 1 tsp
Almond butter 15g
1 Green tea without sugar

10 am
Chicken breast 135g
Almond butter 20g

1 pm
Veggies 250g
Fat fish (mackerel here) 120g
Olive oil 15g

4 pm
Soya yogourth 100g
Almond butter 20g
1g creatine
Whey isolate 15g

7 pm
Veggies 250g
15% minced meat 125g
1g creatine
Olive oil 15g

10 pm going to bed
2 caps omega 3
1g creatine
15g whey isolate
3g glutamine

On training day (5 pm):
Intra : Bcaa 10g
Post :Whey isolate 20g + creatine 2g + glutamine 2g (+ vitargo 20g ?????)

By the way, I would to open a diet & training journal on a french forum, do you mind if I do so ? I would like to give the people the desire to look into FT training winkie , of course I won't share my pdf and / or explain all the contents of it !! Shhh

Thanks for reading
(04-30-2017, 06:41 PM)Tintin Wrote: Thank you for your answer Mr Stevenson, very appreciated ! Blush

Just about the last point, keto diet.

Following this I've read Lyle McDonald's book "The Ketogenic Diet", Dan Duchaine's book "The Anabolic Diet" and Underground BodyOpus's book.

I have some difficulties to understand everything ( first because it's against preconceived ideas of classical bodybuilding, second because my english is poor.
) BUT I think have understood that the CKD may be very interesting to cut fat (and may be used to gain mass, Dan Duchaine say so but Lyle McDo seems not convinced)

My actual goal is to remove my excess bodyfat on my belly, vestige of a shameful past, so I would like to give it a shot.

So, I don't ask you to establish my diet, but would much appreciated as always if you can give me your green light with this :

Cyclical Keto Diet
Monday to Friday
2000 kcal
Prot 35%
Fat 60%
Carbs 5% (from veggies)

Saturday & Sunday: Carb load
2000kcal
Prot 20%
Fat : 35%
Carbs : 45%

EDIT : what do you recommand between carb load saturday & sunday OR start loading on friday after last workout till saturday night ??

Here a typical week day :

7am
Waking up Lime juice + water
Vitamins + 1 cap Omega 3

4 scrambled eggs
Olive oil 1 tsp
Almond butter 15g
1 Green tea without sugar

10 am
Chicken breast 135g
Almond butter 20g

1 pm
Veggies 250g
Fat fish (mackerel here) 120g
Olive oil 15g

4 pm
Soya yogourth 100g
Almond butter 20g
1g creatine
Whey isolate 15g

7 pm
Veggies 250g
15% minced meat 125g
1g creatine
Olive oil 15g

10 pm going to bed
2 caps omega 3
1g creatine
15g whey isolate
3g glutamine

On training day (5 pm):
Intra : Bcaa 10g
Post :Whey isolate 20g + creatine 2g + glutamine 2g (+ vitargo 20g ?????)

By the way, I would to open a diet & training journal on a french forum, do you mind if I do so ? I would like to give the people the desire to look into FT training winkie , of course I won't share my pdf and / or explain all the contents of it !! Shhh

Thanks for reading

Hey Tintin!

FYI, Mauro DiPasquale wrote The Anabolic Diet (not Duchaine, who did write BodyOpus).

I'd agree with a purely Keto diet is suboptimal for muscle gain and that carbohydrates would be needed there.

As far as the diet, you have the green light to do whatever you'd of course. (If I gave you a red light, I'd then be re-constructing your diet, so you kind of pinned me down... Smile )

Actually, I prefer to construct diets more in the manner that I think Lyle does (or did), based upon macronutrients and caloric needs, not percentages. (Percentages that slide with kcal doesn't give you control over macros. IN particular, this isn't ideal when you have low kcal day and want to RAISE protein off offset muscle loss.)

I"ve got many more thoughts, but here' show I'd set things up:

Start with protein requirement at typically 1g/kg. (You can even go higher - even if it does tend to bump you out of ketosis. Protein inhibits appetite, as does ketosis, and I'd take the protein sparing effects of protein over that of ketosis per se, given a choice.)

Then fill in kcal with grams of fat to reach your kcal for the day.

(Consider the you might have kcal from carbs, too, depending on veggie intake)

Set kcal based on current diet and rate of fat loss (or lack thereof).

I'm all for using a targeted Keto diet, so intra carbs can be your friend and possible not keep you out of ketosis for much more than an hour or two (once you are ketoadapted). (You can see in FT, that this shares a good bit with the template of the nutrient dietary approach I put forth there, except of course that there is a good deal more carbohydrate in the post-workout period.)

Sure - post away on the French forum. TIA for the "advertising!" Smile

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks Scott, very appreciated.
I'm going to follow ur advices and go TKD (I'll reread Lyle's book about this),
For the journal and advertising I'll post it very soon winkie
(05-01-2017, 01:40 AM)Tintin Wrote: Thanks Scott, very appreciated.
I'm going to follow ur advices and go TKD (I'll reread Lyle's book about this),
For the journal and advertising I'll post it very soon winkie
Tintin , you might be aware already but lyle is a pretty frequent guest on podcasts so there might be info on some of these that you find helpful

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-los...iews.html/

He has a forum too so you could quiz him directly there

https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/

Good luck with everything Smile

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk