Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(08-24-2017, 11:52 PM)732mikee Wrote: Got it! Thanks Scott.

(08-25-2017, 08:05 AM)BrennanAndre Wrote: Never mind my post above Scott I found the answer to my question in post #6 of this thread. I've read through this thread once and didn't remember seeing it and started reading again and there it was!

I love it when it all makes sense! Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Haven't popped in a while. Still grinding and making gains. Love this program!! Thanks Scott!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-26-2017, 06:37 AM)Powerof2 Wrote: Haven't popped in a while. Still grinding and making gains. Love this program!! Thanks Scott!

Right on! Thanks for dropping by!

-S

-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Add flattening of the biceps to the board of overtraining.

If I'm training back heavy and progressing very well, doing a high rep killer bicep pump set completely flattens them for up to a week, it almost looks like my arms shrank.

Do 12-15 reps on a pump set or don't do a pump set for them, and they stay full but still underdeveloped compared to the triceps [emoji852]️

Gotta love individual physiology.

P.S- Hope you're well and safe during the hurricane Scott!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Purchased FT a while ago and decided I would start it once I've finished my current DC blast

I'll be starting my first FT blast on Monday when this cruise is over and I was wondering if this slight tweak would be alright -
I feel I need more "dues to be paid" in terms of building my strength on slag iron aka loading sets; i feel I need more frequency on heavy deads, pressing, rowing etc

I would continue DC but the qualities of FT other than muscle gain in terms of work capacity, energy expenditure etc from a full body setup are very attractive

Would exchanging a loading/pump session for a MR session be okay in terms of recovery? This way my frequency of loading sets would be in line with the DC 2 way -

Upper Loading/lower pump
Rest
Lower loading/upper pump
Rest
Upper Loading/lower pump
Lower emphasis muscle rounds (to not overwork upper)
Rest
Rest

And then the following week would be the Same but inversley having higher frequency on lower loading and the the muscle round session would be upper emphasis

Any thoughts on this?
(09-09-2017, 07:22 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Add flattening of the biceps to the board of overtraining.

If I'm training back heavy and progressing very well, doing a high rep killer bicep pump set completely flattens them for up to a week, it almost looks like my arms shrank.

Do 12-15 reps on a pump set or don't do a pump set for them, and they stay full but still underdeveloped compared to the triceps [emoji852]️

Gotta love individual physiology.

P.S- Hope you're well and safe during the hurricane Scott!

Sorry I missed this Question.

So, just don't do a high a rep Pump set - there is a rep range there for a reason. Smile

IT sounds like you're hitting your biceps a bit during your back training, so there could be an issue there.

Also, you seem to be saying that what you're seeing over the course of a week will translate into the distant future.

Do you think, even if your biceps look "flat" for a few days that if you have increased the loads you are using (on Pump sets or otherwise) for biceps movements over the course of a couple years by 50% that you'll not have larger biceps?... Smile

-S

-Scott

(09-28-2017, 08:37 PM)patjohnhyde Wrote: Purchased FT a while ago and decided I would start it once I've finished my current DC blast

I'll be starting my first FT blast on Monday when this cruise is over and I was wondering if this slight tweak would be alright -
I feel I need more "dues to be paid" in terms of building my strength on slag iron aka loading sets; i feel I need more frequency on heavy deads, pressing, rowing etc

I would continue DC but the qualities of FT other than muscle gain in terms of work capacity, energy expenditure etc from a full body setup are very attractive

Would exchanging a loading/pump session for a MR session be okay in terms of recovery? This way my frequency of loading sets would be in line with the DC 2 way -

Upper Loading/lower pump
Rest
Lower loading/upper pump
Rest
Upper Loading/lower pump
Lower emphasis muscle rounds (to not overwork upper)
Rest
Rest

And then the following week would be the Same but inversley having higher frequency on lower loading and the the muscle round session would be upper emphasis

Any thoughts on this?

Big Picture question: How would you possibly know how you need to tweak things in a program that you've never even done?...

Maybe you will get plenty of Loading with just the Day 1 and Day 2 of the program as is, once you try it (and even make faster strength gains)?... Smile

Have you considered how you'll vary Volume Tier or what you can do in terms of both Exercise selection as well as load seleection and progression with MR's?

While Dead and BB squats are not a good choice for MRs (which I think you know), you can do BO rows and smith and machine squatting movements here.

Also, there is the option with MR's to keep the loading such that you're just barely getting to the 4th set of the MR when failing (as opposed to failing int he latter part of the 6th set or even perpetually getting 4+ reps in the 6th set of the MR). This way, your loading is heavier during the MR, which will favor strength gains.

-S
-Scott

(09-28-2017, 11:43 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Big Picture question: How would you possibly know how you need to tweak things in a program that you've never even done?...

Maybe you will get plenty of Loading with just the Day 1 and Day 2 of the program as is, once you try it (and even make faster strength gains)?... Smile

Have you considered how you'll vary Volume Tier or what you can do in terms of both Exercise selection as well as load seleection and progression with MR's?

While Dead and BB squats are not a good choice for MRs (which I think you know), you can do BO rows and smith and machine squatting movements here.

Also, there is the option with MR's to keep the loading such that you're just barely getting to the 4th set of the MR when failing (as opposed to failing int he latter part of the 6th set or even perpetually getting 4+ reps in the 6th set of the MR). This way, your loading is heavier during the MR, which will favor strength gains.

-S

Thanks for the quick reply!

All points taken on board and all make complete sense; I'm sure youve considered 1000's of variants in the prouction of what is now FT

Probably just my ego itching for hitting big numbers sooner on the more "traditional" lifts with the tweak I outlined in my previous post

As a side note, what do you think creates the largest caloric expenditure out of the different sessions?

(09-29-2017, 02:18 AM)patjohnhyde Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply!

All points taken on board and all make complete sense; I'm sure youve considered 1000's of variants in the prouction of what is now FT

Probably just my ego itching for hitting big numbers sooner on the more "traditional" lifts with the tweak I outlined in my previous post

As a side note, what do you think creates the largest caloric expenditure out of the different sessions?

I am not Scott, but from everything I know I would think that the MR days are going to be the highest energy expenditure, both during and then w/ the EPOC that follows. ESPECIALLY on the more full body type MR days in Turbo.
WOW! I just finished reading through this entire thread trying to take it all in. By the end I felt like I was able to answer 95% of the questions asked on my own. I have to say that reading this thread all the way through has given me a much better understanding of the program and helped me with how I will address many of the scenarios I will likely run into.

Scott, I know that you do not typically recommend Dead Lifts due to the extreme taxation it puts on the CNS. However for specificity sake I still want and need some dead lifting in my program. I am not sure if you remember my introduction thread last week. I posted it just before I got deep into this thread but I plan to do a PL meet in the Spring. However I am only going to do PL type loads and intensity the last 4-5 weeks before the meet to bring my CNS up a bit, but have no intention of doing a major peaking process. I will be doing this with my 13 year old daughter who wants to compete in her first PL Meet then. So I am just doing it for the experience of doing it with her and not trying to beat numbers from my previous meet other than deadlifts that is.

Basically I will be bulking trying to get ready for a Classic BB show late next year. This meets "prep" will just be a quick interruption of the Hypertrophy specific training, and is for personal life experience reasons more than being for bodybuilding purposes. I still feel that it won't hinder my progress to spend one Blast focusing on lower repetitions for the loading sets just to get the CNS more efficient at heavier loads before the meet. It may even allow increased volume afterwards simply due to the increase in strength from a more strength focused blast.

Anyway enough about that. Since one of the reasons you do not include DL's in the program is that they are CNS intensive then if one were going to put them in anyway for specificity would it be better to go to say an RPE9 for dead lifts on load days instead of to failure?

If so on later Volume Tiers where there are more sets would this be a scenario where you might:
Option 1) actually do deadlifts for the first set to an RPE9 then perhaps do Back Width movement, and then follow up with a failure on a supported row to save lower back for squatting movements
Pros = Still get to do failure set for back thickness, increased volume from additional warm ups.
Cons = takes longer in the gym due to setting up and warming up for an extra exercise.... inconvenient as far as holding or setting up 3 stations.

Option 2) Simply do a second set @ RPE9 on deads"
Pros = More Specificity in training since DL's will be important for the meet, much easier to only have 2 work stations to alternate between in a busy gym, less time intensive due to less warm up sets than if using a 3rd exercise.
Cons = No failure set gets done for back thickness, not sure that 2 sets of DL at an RPE9 is not still going to be more taxing on the CNS than just doing one set than failing on a supported row...

Do you think those adjustments might be wise, and if so which out of the two options, which seems more prudent or effective as an adjustment for the inclusion of deadlifting.

I have already taken into account the amount of use of the lower back in surrounding workouts and planned the DL to be in the blast with hack squats for thigh movement to try and keep the lower back fresh. Although contemplating perhaps using the Leg Press there, I feel either option is suitable there.