Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(02-23-2018, 01:26 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I'd put your arm and ab work MRs along with lower pump, and calf MR's on the upper load day.

Smile

-S

Thanks Scott always got the answer
I'm struggling with sore knees (patella tendinopathy like symptoms) when loading heavily on leg pressing /squatting exercises. It's been an ongoing issue which has been gradually improving but I've increased loading to a point where they're becoming aggravated. Would you recommend using muscle rounds in place of loading sets or increasing the rep range of the exercises?
(02-23-2018, 04:33 AM)Stewilliams Wrote: I'm struggling with sore knees (patella tendinopathy like symptoms) when loading heavily on leg pressing /squatting exercises. It's been an ongoing issue which has been gradually improving but I've increased loading to a point where they're becoming aggravated. Would you recommend using muscle rounds in place of loading sets or increasing the rep range of the exercises?

Do you find you can do those exercises as a muscle round w/o aggravating the patellar tendon?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(02-24-2018, 07:32 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Do you find you can do those exercises as a muscle round w/o aggravating the patellar tendon?...

-S

Smith squats I can do a muscle round with but the others I can't currently. I can do leg press unilaterally, but I find my injured side tends to recruit more adductor and glute (or so it seems) so that exercise is likely a poor choice. I am taking a training cruise for 9 days now so will see how things are afterwards. Have increased bcm-95 dosage and am going to reduce protein intake this week to try and reduce inflammation.
(02-24-2018, 10:03 PM)Stewilliams Wrote: Smith squats I can do a muscle round with but the others I can't currently. I can do leg press unilaterally, but I find my injured side tends to recruit more adductor and glute (or so it seems) so that exercise is likely a poor choice. I am taking a training cruise for 9 days now so will see how things are afterwards. Have increased bcm-95 dosage and am going to reduce protein intake this week to try and reduce inflammation.

So, it's likely the exercise(s), not the load ,with the exception of smith squats.

Also - it's UNILATERAL, which paints an entirely different picture, i.e. it's not so much the constraint of the exercise (some machines / exercises a knee wreckers), but rather that you have an issue of some sort. This is a different deal and may mean you need to see someone.

Either way, to heal, you'll need to avoid doing exercises that aggravate the injury (a/o avoid loads that cause issues). Smile

If you're already using BCM-95 and it's not getting better than you are (were) likely aggravating it pretty badly.

I don't know that dropping protein down will help that much, TBH. Choosing low FODMAP foods might help more there. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(02-25-2018, 12:10 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: So, it's likely the exercise(s), not the load ,with the exception of smith squats.

Also - it's UNILATERAL, which paints an entirely different picture, i.e. it's not so much the constraint of the exercise (some machines / exercises a knee wreckers), but rather that you have an issue of some sort. This is a different deal and may mean you need to see someone.

Either way, to heal, you'll need to avoid doing exercises that aggravate the injury (a/o avoid loads that cause issues). Smile

If you're already using BCM-95 and it's not getting better than you are (were) likely aggravating it pretty badly.

I don't know that dropping protein down will help that much, TBH. Choosing low FODMAP foods might help more there. Smile

-S

I struggle to recruit my VMO on my injured side during periods of patella tendon flare ups. I figured this is a protective measure by my body as pain and inflammation can inhibit muscle recruitment? I have no issues with this when using lighter loads Smile.

That's very true (regarding BCM-95).

My thoughts with the protein were to reduce digestion demands and potential mineral excretion when on a training cruise (I'm likely overthinking it haha). My intake is currently at 350-370g per day so am just planning to reduce it to around 250 until blasting again. Regarding the low FODMAP food, I have tackled this in the past few months. Basically became a meat, veg and potatoes/white rice guy. Has made a huge difference as I no longer become as bloated nor feel excessively lethargic. Upon gradually reintroducing foods I have found that dairy and wheat cause me issues.

Also word has it that you have recently finished another book Mr Stevenson? Smile

Hi Guys,

I bought the book yesterday an had my first load session today. One question about pumpsets / zigzag. Most time, when I go to the gym, Supersets and zigzag are just not possible because the gym is crowded. What would you suggest instead of these two techniques? I started the basic plan / tier 2.

Best regards
Alfred

You can still zig zag in a busy gym, you just sometimes have to get creative. It’s ok to not always do the same isolation exercise if what you have planned isn’t available. You can always ask to work in - if it’s just for a quick set most won’t mind or get creative with dumbbells then you can do an exercise anywhere. Another alternative is to do both exercises on the same piece of equipment.

For example you could do a seated smith press for shoulders then unrack weights and do smith upright rows for isolation. Or bring a set of dumbbells and pull the seat out and do a side raise variation.

I do rack pulls in a rack I can also do a pull up in.

Chest you can do flys on a bench you press on, or do press ups.

Just need to think outside the box a bit.
(02-26-2018, 04:46 AM)ben0911 Wrote: Hi Guys,

I bought the book yesterday an had my first load session today. One question about pumpsets / zigzag. Most time, when I go to the gym, Supersets and zigzag are just not possible because the gym is crowded. What would you suggest instead of these two techniques? I started the basic plan / tier 2.

Best regards
Alfred

Alfred - Search around here on the site. I've given some work arounds to make zig zagging possible several times. Things like using a power rack for rack pulls and (weighted) pull-ups / chins, using DB's for hamstring isolation exercises for thighs, etc.

Smile

-S
-Scott

Hey Scott,

Perhaps you can add this to your archive of FT recovery abilities.

I've been training the basic tier 1 style for the past 10 months or so.

I started from doing tier 1 basic: M,T,TH,Fri
Burned out fast

Then I did tier 1 basic: M,W,Fri,Sat
Hung a bit, but would still flatten out and look worn in 3 weeks

Then I finally figured out training EOD using this method is the best way for me.

Had great success, this is how I had VERY good workouts, felt better, fuller, and crushed the logbook, would last 5 1/2 weeks or so. Went from doing MR dips with +50lbs to +110 lbs (where I am right now), a lot of exercises I progressed in exponentially.

Today I'm sitting, taking my 2nd day off in a row to recover a bit because back to back workouts with heavy lower back work kind of shot my CNS a little. Should be g2g tomorrow.

FT is SUCH a learning curve, especially when it comes to understanding your own body.

Gained more from the $20 I spent with you than I have ever trying to figure out the "secret" of this endeavor.

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk