Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Thank you Dr. Scott for the detailed explanation. I am continuously amazed by the depth of information you provide on this forum on in your ebook!

(07-27-2018, 10:26 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Carl!

Hopefully, other than the incessant FT ramblings, you've built a good buffer with your wife and divorce isn't imminent! Smile

Few reasons for stopping short of failure, but the main one is to avoid the impact on the CNS that comes with a true failure set. This alliows a greater accumulation of training volume and muscle stimulation without as much CNS "inroad."

Practically speaking, you're also not left with a bar / machine that needs to be lifted back to starting position. This would create a big PITA and screw up rest intervals pretty substantially if someone didn't have a partner (to assist with re-racking, etc.)

The load for the 2nd (or 3rd thigh Loading set on Tier III) needn't necessarily be lighter, but if that's the case, it makes for a safer situation for taking a set to failure. (You're def. warmed up!) However, someone might literally choose loads such that they are near the top of the rep range (e.g., getting 10-12 reps leaving 1-2 reps in reserve) and then come back to using the same load for the next compound / failure set, getting fewer reps, in almost all cases, but still staying in the 6-12 range.

Setting the load for the first compound loading set a bit lighter (higher in the rep range) is something I will often do, staying way from 6-8 reps sets when 100% fresh for some exercises, simply for skeletal health. So if I get, let's say, 10 reps on the first compound set (1-2 RIR), I'll then set a goal in my mind to match that on the failure set, as a kind of dangling carrot. It's pretty damn rare that that happens, so it seems to be a nice sweet spot for creating an internal rep goal to use as motivation to push to true failure in that last set. Smile

-S

(07-29-2018, 05:16 AM)ctascajr Wrote: Thank you Dr. Scott for the detailed explanation. I am continuously amazed by the depth of information you provide on this forum on in your ebook!

You're welcome! it's part of my mission, but definitely a lot easier to accomplish when when folks express gratitude, as you have! Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-28-2018, 10:57 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

Autoregulate your volume

Focus exercise selection bring up weaknesses.

IF thickness is lacking, you might do 2MR there and only 1 for Width. On a day you've just annihilated back thickness the previous workout (and sore), you might do 2MR for width and 1 for thickness.

You're probably looking at the .pdf on you phone, which will scrunch the view for some reason.

Tris a/o Bis means Triceps and/or Biceps.

Calves a/o Add. means Calves and/or Adductors

(See the legend at the Bottom of the Overview sheet.)

-S

You're right! Just checked on my desktop and there it is.

I think the last one I have is: are there and detrimental effects from using the same exercise for different segments? Ie machine squat for loading and MR?

Thanks for everything Scott!

(07-26-2018, 09:54 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: camelback rows

Could anyone point me the video how to do them ?
I haven't found it Sad
(07-26-2018, 09:55 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You just went to light for a FT MR, I think. Smile

-S

my guess so
but Smile

the idea behind kroc row - is to use heavy (heaviest one can handle) DB with as many reps as possible - hence my starting confusion Wink

(07-29-2018, 11:41 PM)gregzee123 Wrote: You're right! Just checked on my desktop and there it is.

I think the last one I have is: are there and detrimental effects from using the same exercise for different segments? Ie machine squat for loading and MR?

Thanks for everything Scott!

Sure!

So please, if you would, try searching if you could before asking Q's. We've had this board up and going for a few years now so there's lots of answers here already.

I've answered that question in the book essentially with the topic on variety on page 51 and addressed this Q just 5 days ago (in this thread, actually LOL):

FT Questions....

Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Dr Scott

I know that the primary objective of FT is adding size. Are there any adaptations to make when the primary objective is to shed fat and lean out? My primary objective for the next 4 months will be to add mass (3-4 pounds of lean weight that I'll track by a monthly body fat test and weekly weigh ins). When its time to shift to losing body fat I have always had good results with a 5 day per week split featuring one bodypart per day. I also would use progressively cutting calories and adding cardio to push the weight lose. In your experience, should I stick with FT and just manipulate diet/cardio or are there other factors within FT that need to be changed given the addition of cardio and restricted calories? I haven't seen anything too specific on this topic in the forum/ebook so I figured I should ask the question directly.

Thank you again!

Carl
(08-05-2018, 03:10 AM)ctascajr Wrote: Dr Scott

I know that the primary objective of FT is adding size. Are there any adaptations to make when the primary objective is to shed fat and lean out? My primary objective for the next 4 months will be to add mass (3-4 pounds of lean weight that I'll track by a monthly body fat test and weekly weigh ins). When its time to shift to losing body fat I have always had good results with a 5 day per week split featuring one bodypart per day. I also would use progressively cutting calories and adding cardio to push the weight lose. In your experience, should I stick with FT and just manipulate diet/cardio or are there other factors within FT that need to be changed given the addition of cardio and restricted calories? I haven't seen anything too specific on this topic in the forum/ebook so I figured I should ask the question directly.

Thank you again!

Carl

Hey Carl!

This one's answered in the book on page 131 (last of the FAQ). I also have a FAQ in there about cardio. (In brief, train as much as you can get away with, which may mean dropping down a Tier, and use diet, not cardio to shed body fat.)

-S
-Scott

Thank you Dr Scott. Sorry that I missed that point in the book. I’m sure you get pretty sick of repeating yourself! Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge and for being so accessible!
(07-30-2018, 05:42 PM)zmt Wrote: my guess so
but Smile

the idea behind kroc row - is to use heavy (heaviest one can handle) DB with as many reps as possible - hence my starting confusion Wink

Sorry, just seeing this.

OK, so, this is a bit of a pet peeve for me. The "heaviest one can handle" for "as many reps as possible" simply means going to failure.

The only way in which that would be any different than any other set to failure for a give rep range would be if you are simply changing form to bang out sloppy and/or partial reps.

"Heavy" is relative to one's strength and "as many reps" as possible simply means to failure.

The exercise itself is meant to be somewhat dynamic and thus lends itself to more body English (it's in the nature of the movement), but if you were to go heavier and ended up getting <4 reps in the last set of the MR, would that no longer be a Kroc row?.. Smile

-S
-Scott