Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(11-04-2014, 03:51 AM)tWoBrO Wrote: I have some limitations regarding training thighs. Lack of exercises options at my gym, lack of weigh in the gym, lack of good knees, etc.

Can i grow successfully doing only pump sets for thighs?

Really din't want to change the program, but i'm not really sure how can i do load sets for thighs.

Can't go heavy on squats because of my knees and hips. If my knees go over my toes I got hurt for weeks. I can't stop that from happening because i don't have much flexibility on my hips. This can be trained, so I have some room here.

Can't go heavy on leg press because there's no enough weigh at the gym. Knees don't hurt because i can place my feet properly and they don't go over my toes.

Can't go heavy on hip barbell squats because i only have a dip belt and that shit cuts the inside of my legs when going heavy. Buying a hip belt is an option, but it costs over 200€ here in Europe. The one Dr Scott uses.

So, can't really do load sets properly in this exercises for diferent reasons. Can do pump sets on all of them. MRs it's somewhere in between.

If there's a set of muscle groups that's likely to grow from higher reps, it would be thigh (hams, quads), so you're in luck there.

You might consider these:

1.) gaining flexibility,

2.) Finding a new gym with enough weight

2.1) Trying new exercises like inverted / vertical leg presses on a smith machine that require less weight

3.) Using unilateral exercises

4.) Maybe buying one of these https://www.brutebelt.com .

Smile Smile Smile

Also, I have know idea what the issues are with your knees, but I once had some pretty bad patellofemoral pain where knee extensions were an absolute no-no for me. I've remedied that over the years.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
With moving the isolation moves first in the Zig zag. And doing plenty of warm ups. I've dropped enough weight on the multi joint thigh movements that my knees don't bother me any more, and still growing. Im also using full range of motion and stops at the bottom, to remove momentum.
I can only train 3x week wondered do you have any examples so get an idea how to start sorting my routine out? Thanks
(11-05-2014, 03:35 AM)doylejlw Wrote: I can only train 3x week wondered do you have any examples so get an idea how to start sorting my routine out? Thanks

Yes,

See the FAQ in the book. Smile That question is answered specifically with the "Family Man Plan" example.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
A question regarding nutrition.
In the book there is a suggestion of 50 calories per kg of body weight.
I realize this is just a guide line and the point is "you need to eat surplus to gain"!

Where would you generally start the calorie intake for a male coming off a contest diet (I am talking about my self).
Stats: 80kg totally depleted body weight, body fat low (sub 6%) this has been maintained for 6-7 weeks, active life style (will become much more active post contest as atm my wife has been picking up my slack!). Currently I am consuming right around 1800-900 calories per day and this depletes me (weight continues to go down not up at this level with no direct cardio besides some walking). Also as stated my activity is much lower than it normally is.
Macros 320p 40c (veggies) 50f (fat is some times a little lower it depends on how much 96% beef I eat in relation to chicken breast).

Here's what I was thinking....
Rest days (3 days per week): 242p 120f 103c 2520 calories
Training days (4 days per week: 265p 44f 315c 2716 calories
My reasoning behind these macros.
Protein can reduce due to the increase in carbohydrates and fat but by keeping it relatively high it will help combat hunger.
Carbohydrates are kept low on non training days (just high amounts of veggies) and high during/pwo as suggested in the book.
Fats high on rest days as suggested in the book. Using a lot of coconut fat to provide energy.

I do intend on taking Sunday to deplete again post contest (protein and veggies) so that I can start the diet without topped out glycogen stores.

Factors that could effect me: I will be dropping nicotine (via gum) so appetite will increase, I will be dropping relaxing aids such as kratom (this will result in some degree of insomnia for a few days), I will be dropping stimulants (roughly 300-400mg caffeine per day along with some others that are found within OTC pre workouts). The biggest reason to drop the stimulants will be to combat any rebound anxiety/sleeplessness brought on by dropping the relaxing aids. That said my psychological stress will greatly reduce post show I have no doubts about this. Thankfully my current life style allows me to take naps when required as I make my own schedule.

In order to assist the process I will use; ashwandgha, rhodiola rosea, ornithine, 5-HTP, ST. John Wort, magnesium.

The goal is to regain muscle tissue and balance my body back out again while not increasing body fat too rapidly.
Does this sound too aggressive or perhaps not aggressive enough in regards to calorie intake?
Obviously I realize no matter the approach I take there will be a few weeks where I don't feel the best this is just part of recovering from prolonged dieting.

I will make a nice in-depth log over on TM that should boost your sales....it's the least I can do for all the Q's you have answered for me lately lol!
Hey Con,

I'll try to keep this simple.

I'd go with a maintenance caloric intake as your starting point / basis for the diet, if you can guesstimate that from the 1800-1900 kcal / day diet that has you loosing weight. This would be a starting point for the non-trainign days, adding food on Traingn days primarily (see below)

First thing I would do, personally, is keep the carbs low on non-training days for much of the day, as I think this will combat hunger better than being a bit higher in protein. (What you say is true, but that's due to glucagon release, which you'll have with lower carbs.) HOWEVER, putting a majority of your carbs in your last meal of the day may be very helpful for sleep (coming off supps), so that ~100g amount could be a very good one. (Keto meals during the day, carbs lumped at night)

On training days, I lump all the carbs and extra food in the post workout period and include a carb meal at night.

TO be honest, I'd not try to over engineer much more right now b/c you'll be coming off of nicotine AND kratom, both of which can have addictive qualities, not to mention the stimulants. I'd make managing that a priority over the next few weeks as much as anything.

--------------
I'd simply adjust the diet upward by adding carbs/ food to the post-workout period for the first few weeks or even months.

With the low carb / maintenance or even sub maintenance diet on non-training days, the removal of app. suppressants, and the fact that you're so damn lean, you'll be able to pack down a ton of food during that period, as hunger will pretty high. I'd consider that growth time. Non-training days will be devoted to hanging tight with fingers crossed that your energy levels and any adverse effects / cravings from the nicotine, kratom, etc. wane quickly.

------------

Any adjusting would really be a matter of watching how your body grows / changes. You'll have what seems to be a decent EPOC from fortitude training on your side to keep your metabolism running. Smile

(Thanks for plugging the book, but no need to do that. I know you do b/c like the system, but nothing owed to me. Smile )

-S
-Scott

Thanks Scott that was a fantastic reply!!!

Thankfully I don't think it will be too bad in regards to dropping the kratom and nicotine.
During the prep I have gone several days in a row without either.
All the happened was sleep went back to my normal dieting levels (not that great) and hunger went up.
I use nicotine towards the end of every diet and then drop it again with no issues besides extra hunger.
With the kratom I mainly have been dosing it once at night (leaf only) along with some melatonin.
I have seen many guys use it AM/mid day/night that seems a bit counter productive to me but hey whatever works for them!
Then again perhaps I am in for a nightmare of a time....who knows lol.

Oh I want to make a log and I know nothing is owed! :-)
(11-13-2014, 05:25 AM)Con Wrote: Thanks Scott that was a fantastic reply!!!

Thankfully I don't think it will be too bad in regards to dropping the kratom and nicotine.
During the prep I have gone several days in a row without either.
All the happened was sleep went back to my normal dieting levels (not that great) and hunger went up.
I use nicotine towards the end of every diet and then drop it again with no issues besides extra hunger.
With the kratom I mainly have been dosing it once at night (leaf only) along with some melatonin.
I have seen many guys use it AM/mid day/night that seems a bit counter productive to me but hey whatever works for them!
Then again perhaps I am in for a nightmare of a time....who knows lol.

Oh I want to make a log and I know nothing is owed! :-)

You're welcome, Con.

Well, I hope it's smooth sailing, for sure. Sounds like you've been conservative and smart in your use of the kratom and nicotine.

I'm looking forward to the log, for sure. I'm guessing its gonna be a damn good one. Smile

-S
-Scott

I have a question regarding post workout carbs.

I usually workout around 5 so I introduce my carbs with 65G intra workout, and then divide the rest up over my final two meals (I'm eating 420G carbs per day.) My first post workout meal is usually two servings of pancake mix with a cup of egg whites and a plain bagel. My second post workout meal (last meal of the day) is usually 4 servings of rice krispie cereal with two cups of milk and a cup of kefir.

I'm just wondering if these carbs sources are alright or if I should substitute a more nutrient dense carb source into my second post workout meal?
(11-13-2014, 10:02 AM)bmm5530 Wrote: I have a question regarding post workout carbs.

I usually workout around 5 so I introduce my carbs with 65G intra workout, and then divide the rest up over my final two meals (I'm eating 420G carbs per day.) My first post workout meal is usually two servings of pancake mix with a cup of egg whites and a plain bagel. My second post workout meal (last meal of the day) is usually 4 servings of rice krispie cereal with two cups of milk and a cup of kefir.

I'm just wondering if these carbs sources are alright or if I should substitute a more nutrient dense carb source into my second post workout meal?

Well, you're unlikely to get a micronutrient overload from eating whole foods, so you can definitely do that.

The decision would depend on what the rest of your diet is like and whether you can eat those more nutrient dense foods and still get in the requisite kcal you need to make the gains you want.

You could include some greek yoghurt with a selection of berries as one option. Making sure to use honey or fruit preserves on those pancakes (or even baking some fruit / berries into the cakes) are a couple easy quick "fixes" that come to mind.

-S
-Scott