Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
I have never done a program that goes from one exercise to another and another. Usually when I warm up I start with my first exercise doing low weight moving up slowly until I get to the target weight and reps (I have been doing MD training).

Sometimes I have to do warm ups on exercises after the first one to get a feel for the movement as I move from exercises to exercise. So that is why I asked you that.

Well if you want us to stick to hypertrophy in the 6-12 rep range, and the weight I am using is too light, I would most likely up the weight and take that set to failure within my rep range with no rest time in between, then move to the next exercise.

(11-21-2014, 09:56 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: There should be absolutely no difference in how you'd warm up for any other heavy, high effort set for a given exercise or muscle group.

I absolutely most definitely don't want to sounds condescending, but if you're not sure about how to warm-up, which can very very much depending on a given day (weather, aches n' pains, etc.), they you probably are not in tune enough with your body to be doing any program that is based on progressive overload and pushing your limits.

Some people will do a couple high rep sets or 10-15 and be ready, esp. if the weight is low. If it's a leg press with 12 plates, it might take 5 warm up sets with 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 plates / side for 10, 8, 6, 4, and 4 reps.

If that's what you need to warm up.

I'm going to ask you this one.

What do you think you should do in that case?...

-S

(11-21-2014, 01:51 PM)Greekgod10 Wrote: I have never done a program that goes from one exercise to another and another. Usually when I warm up I start with my first exercise doing low weight moving up slowly until I get to the target weight and reps (I have been doing MD training).

Sometimes I have to do warm ups on exercises after the first one to get a feel for the movement as I move from exercises to exercise. So that is why I asked you that.

You can get a couple reps in between loading sets if needed. If you've done the neurological warm-up, you should be set to go b/c you'll be warmed up muscularly for sure. Smile

So, you'll need to warm-up for all exercises and be ready to roll. You'll not lose your warm-up for a given exercise by doing another exercise.

You asked:

Quote:Also what happens if you fail on the leg press for example between 6-12 reps and then you go to the next exercise but you didnt add enough weight and are able to get more than 12?

Your solution:

Quote:Well if you want us to stick to hypertrophy in the 6-12 rep range, and the weight I am using is too light, I would most likely up the weight and take that set to failure within my rep range with no rest time in between, then move to the next exercise.

So, it sounds like you're suggesting you would take one set to failure (too many reps /weight too light) and then immediately try to INCREASE the weight and keep it in the target rep range?...

------

If you happened to pick a weight that is too light or too heavy, and you've finished the set (to failure), then you're done. You'll simply note that in your log book and adjust accordingly.

If you can tell early on in the set (maybe this is what you're saying?), then yes, simply adjust as best you can and carry forth. (Don't try to do two sets right in a row.)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(11-20-2014, 04:50 AM)Greekgod10 Wrote: Thank you.

I don't understand your note though. Are you saying I have 3 sets of exercises for loading sets of legs (leg press, leg extension and leg curl) but I don't follow after that. Just that each week the compound exercise will restate so week 2 would be squat for example?

Also what about everyone else trying to hold down 3 machines when doing this?? Seems like depending on the gym and time going it might conflict with other gym members.

If you have a training partner, holding down the machines is easier.

What we do is have each of us on a different exercise and when we leave that exercise, have our gym bags and drink bottles holding our spot. We put drink bottles right on the seat of machines and bags right in the middle of a rack or place where someone can clearly see that someone is there
(11-22-2014, 03:25 AM)mentalflex Wrote: If you have a training partner, holding down the machines is easier.

What we do is have each of us on a different exercise and when we leave that exercise, have our gym bags and drink bottles holding our spot. We put drink bottles right on the seat of machines and bags right in the middle of a rack or place where someone can clearly see that someone is there

I never get that luck... Then again my gym is filled with high school kids. Have to wait for a rack.
Awesome sounds good. So Ill go through each exercise for legs, warm up nice and good and then get into my working set and nail those while doing what MF said.

Your last paragraph nailed exactly what I was saying Smile. If the weight was too light I would stop, wait a bit, adjust the weight, and then fail within my given rep range of 6-12, then carry over to leg curls!

(11-22-2014, 02:38 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You can get a couple reps in between loading sets if needed. If you've done the neurological warm-up, you should be set to go b/c you'll be warmed up muscularly for sure. Smile

So, you'll need to warm-up for all exercises and be ready to roll. You'll not lose your warm-up for a given exercise by doing another exercise.

You asked:

Your solution:

So, it sounds like you're suggesting you would take one set to failure (too many reps /weight too light) and then immediately try to INCREASE the weight and keep it in the target rep range?...

------

If you happened to pick a weight that is too light or too heavy, and you've finished the set (to failure), then you're done. You'll simply note that in your log book and adjust accordingly.

If you can tell early on in the set (maybe this is what you're saying?), then yes, simply adjust as best you can and carry forth. (Don't try to do two sets right in a row.)

-S

(11-23-2014, 07:26 AM)Greekgod10 Wrote: Awesome sounds good. So Ill go through each exercise for legs, warm up nice and good and then get into my working set and nail those while doing what MF said.

Your last paragraph nailed exactly what I was saying Smile. If the weight was too light I would stop, wait a bit, adjust the weight, and then fail within my given rep range of 6-12, then carry over to leg curls!

Above all else - Keep it simple! Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
I'm going to read it tonight.
Hey Scott.

I've got the ebook yesterday and began reading it.

Got a few questions please.

The girlfriend and I train together so should be fun!

Right...

Basic Tier one looks like its 3 TOTAL sets for chest that week? Well 2 total sets(1 pump, 1loading) then 6sets on muscle rounds, that correct yeah?

The pump sets Basic, Tier one and Day one they are supersets correct....and by looking there is no rest period, you do the reps for the muscle group then superset with the next muscle group thats one pump superset done. Then you move straight onto your next superset muscle group...BUT, if i train with my gf ill be waiting for her to finish her set? ALTHOUGH it does say in the actual writing not on the overview shit that you can rest one minute between supersets.

On the same tier looks like quads only get three total sets that week...seems very low volume? Although i suppose thats why its important to make every set count and keep it as heavy as you can without compromising form.

The stretches....are they typically done in the "Rest period" between sets, so on the loading sets day one you have 2 minutes rest or do you stretch then start your rest?

Not sure i fully understand the "ZIG ZAGGING".....is it just in Tier 3 you perform this?

Thanks alot.
Just sitting down with my girl and son now so will give it another read when she goes to work tomorrow.

I believe all of these questions have been answered here.

You are correct on # of sets.

Low volume is how one might perceive it on Tier I, yes.

Whether or not you wait for your GF to finish her supersets is up to you and how closely you want to train with her, encourage her and make sure she's doing things correctly.

You rest 1:00 between pump set super sets if you're doing more than one Pump superset for a given pair / group of muscles.

Stretch after you've finished all the training a given muscle group for that day. (Stretching is not resting.)

Zig zagging is a term I chose to refer specifically to Loading sets only. This will be a practical consideration really anytime you come back to the same exercise and do another loading set for it. This would mean Tier II and III. (You don't really probably need to zig zag calf exercises, e.g., alternate between two exercises on one day. Just do one exercise on a given day for all the Loading sets on that day. If you're lucky enough to have a gym where you can zig zag them, and want to, go for it.)

-S
-Scott

Hi Scott.

I can't make sense of the last Column...on tur

I see a/o next to tris then next to thigh I can't read it....any ideas.

I know it will be a while before I reach that anyway

Ignore that....on the log sheets it shows the info.