Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(01-08-2015, 05:04 AM)xxscaxx Wrote: Scott,

I just completed my first 6 week cycle staying on tier 1. Felt great and didn't feel the need to cruise but obviously did anyway. I am going to step up to tier 2 now but have a question.

Besides lifting I also play hockey and have found that my hip flexors have really taken a beating so far through tier 1. Its not that the workload was a lot or too much, but between using heavier weights plus playing hockey 1-3 times a week they seem to be flaring up more than usual. I know that having a desk job is the reason for this pain in the first place and between stretching and working sets to try to rid myself of this issue it still lingers. So I was thinking of moving up to Tier 2 but keeping legs at Tier 1 for the time being until I can get this issue sorted out. Thoughts?

I also want to try to change up the actual workouts I choose for legs as leg press seems to really be the worst thing for it, and even squats are hurting pretty bad but not nearly as bad as the leg press. I feel like I keep having to resort to Extensions a lot of times and tbh I only like using that for pump sets for the burn and even then I rather do something else to really fire up my legs.

CSA,

Well I hate to say (you knew it was coming), but this is a reason why I don't suggest a program like FT if you're engaging in an athletic pursuit / sport / another physically taxing endeavor. (I'm avoiding the bodybuilding is a sport issue.)

First question: Did you make any gains in size with this Blast?...

What is your intention in doing FT while playing hockey (serious question). Really, this should be a starting point, b/c FT is geared towards someone who is only trying to pursue bodybuilding. It's like a hammer that is really only made for hammering in and pulling out nails.

If you goal is to get better at hockey and look like a bodybuilder, the you might want to start with that in mind and construct from scratch. (You could use FT program principles, if you wanted to.)

But, as you're getting at, if you can''t train the big go to exercises (assuming the ones you're having trouble with are those for you), then you're not going to be able to make gains for legs.

Simplest solution is to:
-Avoid the exercises that hurt. An exercise that's bordering on "injurious" for a Loading set can't really be a "go to" exercise, so ti's not a good Loading set exercise. It's definitely one you'd avoid for Pump sets and MRs.

-Stretch the hip flexors periodically at work - like every couple hours at least - working up to more frequently. Stretch these liberally before training as well.

-Get a standing desk at work if you can

-Try one of those non-conventional chairs, where hips are extended and some of your weight rests on a knee / shin support.)

-Get a good (Oriental) bodyworker, MT or ART person to release your iliopsoas. (It will hurt like hell. Smile )

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-08-2015, 06:37 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: CSA,

Well I hate to say (you knew it was coming), but this is a reason why I don't suggest a program like FT if you're engaging in an athletic pursuit / sport / another physically taxing endeavor. (I'm avoiding the bodybuilding is a sport issue.)

First question: Did you make any gains in size with this Blast?...

What is your intention in doing FT while playing hockey (serious question). Really, this should be a starting point, b/c FT is geared towards someone who is only trying to pursue bodybuilding. It's like a hammer that is really only made for hammering in and pulling out nails.

If you goal is to get better at hockey and look like a bodybuilder, the you might want to start with that in mind and construct from scratch. (You could use FT program principles, if you wanted to.)

But, as you're getting at, if you can''t train the big go to exercises (assuming the ones you're having trouble with are those for you), then you're not going to be able to make gains for legs.

Simplest solution is to:
-Avoid the exercises that hurt. An exercise that's bordering on "injurious" for a Loading set can't really be a "go to" exercise, so ti's not a good Loading set exercise. It's definitely one you'd avoid for Pump sets and MRs.

-Stretch the hip flexors periodically at work - like every couple hours at least - working up to more frequently. Stretch these liberally before training as well.

-Get a standing desk at work if you can

-Try one of those non-conventional chairs, where hips are extended and some of your weight rests on a knee / shin support.)

-Get a good (Oriental) bodyworker, MT or ART person to release your iliopsoas. (It will hurt like hell. Smile )

-S

haha I knew you were going to add that tidbit about playing hockey and training.

Honestly, my competitive hockey days are over, but I still love playing. Most of the time i'm only playing once a week (usually on a weekend). I'm not trying to pursue a hockey career. My main focus is bodybuilding which is why I am doing your program in the first place. I also don't play all year around so i'm just trying to work around it while I do play for now. Just so happens some weeks we have two games or in this case for this week three (one sunday, one tonight, another one saturday).

As for size, I don't think i've particularly put on any size but I have maintained my weight and all of my lifts have gone up. I can go into more detail with you on this via PM or email.

I will do as you say and try to stretch more and really focus on getting them loose before lifting. I need to get to a ART person for sure.
(01-08-2015, 06:53 AM)xxscaxx Wrote: haha I knew you were going to add that tidbit about playing hockey and training.

Honestly, my competitive hockey days are over, but I still love playing. Most of the time i'm only playing once a week (usually on a weekend). I'm not trying to pursue a hockey career. My main focus is bodybuilding which is why I am doing your program in the first place. I also don't play all year around so i'm just trying to work around it while I do play for now. Just so happens some weeks we have two games or in this case for this week three (one sunday, one tonight, another one saturday).

As for size, I don't think i've particularly put on any size but I have maintained my weight and all of my lifts have gone up. I can go into more detail with you on this via PM or email.

I will do as you say and try to stretch more and really focus on getting them loose before lifting. I need to get to a ART person for sure.

Hey Bud,

Yeah, you should be making gains, at least changing body comp. on your first Blast for sure. Also, if you're NOT making gains and find after 6 weeks that you're not in need of a Cruise (whatsoever),but have stayed at Tier I, this tells me something is keeping you from pushing your limits. Likely:

The hip flexor situation
Trying to make sure you're recovered for hockey practice / games.

As I had designed it, this system is set up to allow you to make relatively rapid progress d/t how it impacts muscle metabolism (frequency of training, variety of stimuli, etc.) and how that interacts with strength gains (greater intensity--> Greater growth). So, if you're not got recovery in place (hockey cuts into that) or don't push yourself to find the edge of your adaptive abilities (hockey practice / games, even if just a few times a week will keep you from pushing to those limits), then you'll not progress.

I've not played ice hockey (just floor hockey when I was a kid), but that's not a walk in the park. The guys that really make this system work are pushing to their limits in training. Bodybuilders get a bad rap for this, but there is a reason they often are not doing mud more than training ,eatung, etc. Toss in a hockey game (much less THREE!) and most of the folks I'm thinking of wouldn't be able complete another week of training.

You're dong pretty good making gains in strength at Tier I with your schedule, IMO.

Anyway - water under the bridge until the hockey is out of your schedule, of course.

I'd suggest the Family man plan (see the FAQ) during the hockey season, if you want to try to make gains... (Of course, adding substantial weight may slow you on the ice just a bit, too...)

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Scott,

I'll take a look, thanks. To be honest I feel my chest looks much fuller and surprisingly my legs look better even though I'm playing it cautious because of my hip flexors. Also feel my delts have came up slightly.

I have a very hard work ethic and coming off of JM program I can tell you I know how to push myself. I may have to ease up when I feel pain with my legs but besides that all bets are off for the rest of my body. I have done DC in the past as well and I know how to push myself to that limit and especially past it. Nevertheless, I will make sure that I remind myself of your post before each workout in order for it to really make sure I am giving it all I got.
(01-09-2015, 03:02 AM)xxscaxx Wrote: Scott,

I'll take a look, thanks. To be honest I feel my chest looks much fuller and surprisingly my legs look better even though I'm playing it cautious because of my hip flexors. Also feel my delts have came up slightly.

I have a very hard work ethic and coming off of JM program I can tell you I know how to push myself. I may have to ease up when I feel pain with my legs but besides that all bets are off for the rest of my body. I have done DC in the past as well and I know how to push myself to that limit and especially past it. Nevertheless, I will make sure that I remind myself of your post before each workout in order for it to really make sure I am giving it all I got.

Well, I'm glad you made some progress.

I wasn't calling your work ethic or in the gym intensity in question. (If anything, it was the opposite).

But if you get through 6 weeks at Tier I, make minimal gains and still feel like you don't really need a Cruise, then your'e probably under training.

De facto, something is not in place b/c you're not making gains.

I don't think I've seen anyone not make gains or not feel like they didn't need a cruise around the 6 week out mark, but most folks would have at least tried to move up a Tier (although it's not that the world is coming to an end that you didn't , as you were getting stronger.)

Main thing is that you didn't make body comp changes (maybe filled out a bit, which can happen with this program d/t glycogen storage). I was just guessing that if you weren't doing Hockey, you'd have upped it a Tier with FT and probably adjusted diet, and have made better gains (d/t better recovery w/o the hockey and the training stimulus being hypertrophy specialized - only wt. training).

-S
-Scott

I was reading through the book again during my down time this weekend.

Page 28 says a FT muscle round is 4 sets of 6 reps.
Was this a simple typo or have you used this method before instead of the 6 sets of 4 reps?
I could see 4 sets of 6 reps being easier on some exercises where positioning/restarting the weight takes extra energy.

Sorry if you have covered this else where.
(01-27-2015, 02:46 PM)Con Wrote: I was reading through the book again during my down time this weekend.

Page 28 says a FT muscle round is 4 sets of 6 reps.
Was this a simple typo or have you used this method before instead of the 6 sets of 4 reps?
I could see 4 sets of 6 reps being easier on some exercises where positioning/restarting the weight takes extra energy.

Sorry if you have covered this else where.

That was a typo that someone caught in the first week or - you must have an early version (collector's edition). Wink

Another example of my munerical lysdexia. Smile

-S
-Scott

Not a question, just experience...
This past blast really took a lot out of me. I had to cut it short a week. I think the weight on most lifts have progressed to much for flirting with tier 3.
(02-04-2015, 08:27 AM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Not a question, just experience...
This past blast really took a lot out of me. I had to cut it short a week. I think the weight on most lifts have progressed to much for flirting with tier 3.

Thanks for the input, man. If you went just like 2 - 3 weeks that might be a bit short, but if you just mean by "cut it short" that you went 5 weeks - no problem. The idea is to be instinctive in that sense (auto regulate). Sounds like you did it perfectly.

Smile

-S
-Scott

(02-04-2015, 08:27 AM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Not a question, just experience...

For myself, just getting into my 2nd blast I am noticing that my pump sets are getting more taxing. I'm getting a lot better at doing them, focusing on the muscles, and the muscles themselves are getting better at sustaining tension. It's allowing for either "heavier" pump sets or long ones. Either way the intensity is up!