Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(09-29-2015, 11:00 PM)Pumped340 Wrote: If someone has to keep the blood pressure from being too elevated, are there some FT set types that would be preferred over others? I imagine the answer would be pump > MR > loading in general but I could also see it depending on the exercise.

For example I would think (but am not certain) one's blood pressure would go up more from a gut-wrenching 25 rep pump set of smith squats than it would with a 6RM set of smith squats.

The following will increase BP responses to resistance exercise:

Load employed
Extent of effort.
Amount of muscle mass engaged.
Breathing pattern (whether there's a Valsalva is a big part of this).

I can't say I've seen a comparison if a 6RM vs. 25RM in terms of BP, but the rise at the end might be similar b/c the load for the 6RM would be greater than for the 25RM.

I know why you're asking this, man, so this is not exercise advice in the least, but using a lesser muscle mass at a time (e.g., by doing more isolation and unilateral movements) would be a way to limit BP responses.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-30-2015, 09:56 AM)Pumped340 Wrote: Thank you Scott, I had the same thoughts. I definitely plan on using more unilateral movements (or even the same movements but just done with one arm at a time e.g. machine row or DB shoulder press supporting myself with the non-working arm). I think I could potentially keep 1-leg leg presses in there as well if I stop short of failure. And will be consciously changing my breathing patterns.

You have at some time in the past made a reference to how blood pressures can get extremely high during training. I know you said you haven't seen 6RM vs 25RM for example, but have you seen different exercises compared? I am wondering if there is a huge difference between say benching and squatting or if any compound pushed to failure is going to be in a similar range (with squats only being slightly higher). Squatting is about 50% more load in my case, and more involved, but I push very hard on both so just curious if you've seen any data like that.

Ironically, I more so than others here seemed to be fighting the recommendation of a lot of exercises and many isolations....it seems that is what I now must do Smile

I'll try not to kill myself with barbell benching 44 Shhh

Hey man,

Here are a couple slides from a class I taught earlier this year. There isn't much out there on BP responses to resistance exercise (in part b/c it's a tough thing to measure due to muscle contraction around the arteries during the exercise, even in muscle not directly involved in the movement).

BP can approach 300/ 200 at the end of a big set. And may be higher at the end of a multi-rep set than a single, at least in untrained lifters. I've not see BP's measured during max efforts in trained lifters, but haven't looked for that (at least for a while).

Check the attached images - there is a LOT of information in there: 3 difference exercises, the effect of training load and training status (bodybuilders vs. novice lifters vs. control).

Here are the sources:

Double leg press: McCartney, N., McKelvie, R. S., Martin, J., Sale, D. G., & MacDougall, J. D. (1993). Weight-training-induced attenuation of the circulatory response of older males to weight lifting. J Appl Physiol (1985), 74(3), 1056-1060.

Uniateral movements: Fleck, S. J., & Dean, L. S. (1987). Resistance-training experience and the pressor response during resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985), 63(1), 116-120.

-S

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hey Scott!

Long time reader from back at Intense Muscle.

I'm trying to put together a Fortitude Training Block in the next month or so. My question is, how can I put deadlifts in and have them work well?

I'll be putting fortitude training between blocks of powerlifting peaking style training, so I'm doing it to build some muscle mass and back off of the 90% range weights. Thanks!
(10-01-2015, 11:17 PM)thanger Wrote: Hey Scott!

Long time reader from back at Intense Muscle.

I'm trying to put together a Fortitude Training Block in the next month or so. My question is, how can I put deadlifts in and have them work well?

I'll be putting fortitude training between blocks of powerlifting peaking style training, so I'm doing it to build some muscle mass and back off of the 90% range weights. Thanks!

Hey Bud!

I'd put them as a Back Thickness Loading Exercise (Day 2) in most cases. (FT really isn't set up to optimize the Big 3, but I think that's the easiest way working within the system for most folks.)

-S
-Scott

(10-02-2015, 12:16 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

I'd put them as a Back Thickness Loading Exercise (Day 2) in most cases. (FT really isn't set up to optimize the Big 3, but I think that's the easiest way working within the system for most folks.)

-S

Thanks for the quick response, Scott!

So I'm assuming on the week I have those I'd be better off going with a hack squat/leg press movement for Day 1 loading movement, then?

(10-02-2015, 12:16 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

-S

So I'm assuming on the week I have those I'd be better off going with a hack squat/leg press movement for Day 1 loading movement, then?
(10-02-2015, 03:45 AM)thanger Wrote: Thanks for the quick response, Scott!

Yes, Sir! You'll have to set up your weeks to avoid overloading he low back, for sure.

-S
-Scott

(10-02-2015, 03:45 AM)thanger Wrote: Thanks for the quick response, Scott!

Here is how I set my split up for my first blast

Day 1 Week 1
Low Bar back Squat
Day 2
T Bar row
Pulldowns
Incline BB Bench
Military Press
Day 1 Week 2
V squat
Day 2 Week 2
Deadlift
Pullups
DB Flat
DB SHoulder Press
Day 1 week 3
Hack Squat
Day 2 Week 3
Trap Bar Deadlift
CG pulldown
Decline Bench
Plate loaded shoulder press

(10-05-2015, 08:41 AM)Lando Wrote: Here is how I set my split up for my first blast

Day 1 Week 1
Low Bar back Squat
Day 2
T Bar row
Pulldowns
Incline BB Bench
Military Press
Day 1 Week 2
V squat
Day 2 Week 2
Deadlift
Pullups
DB Flat
DB SHoulder Press
Day 1 week 3
Hack Squat
Day 2 Week 3
Trap Bar Deadlift
CG pulldown
Decline Bench
Plate loaded shoulder press

Looks good, depending on how you do those V-squats. Doing those reversed (facing the machine) feels best on many of them, but you'll want to keep your body upright (and go deep) to avoid taxing the low back.

-S
-Scott

Can I mix and match tier 1 and tier 2? Say wanting to hit legs/ shoulders in 2 but keep back and arms in 1? Sorry this is probably answered already and I missed it in searches.
(10-09-2015, 09:25 AM)Jen Wrote: Can I mix and match tier 1 and tier 2? Say wanting to hit legs/ shoulders in 2 but keep back and arms in 1? Sorry this is probably answered already and I missed it in searches.

I'm up for folks doing whatever they want.

First and foremost, I suggest folks work within the program. You can do this with:

• Exercise selection:
---Finding the ones that work for you: Where you can tell your annihilating the muscle.
---Finding exercises that may overlap in a way that increases volume for the muscles you want to bring up. (E.g., use a high Incline press for chest to get more anterior delt involved, if those are week. Focus on high rowing exercises to get the posterior delts.)
---Adjust exercise order to pre-fatigue the weak muscle groups
---Train weak muscle groups early in the workout if this means you'll be stronger / have greater loading for the given muscle.

• Making the Pump Sets really work for you with things like 5's into the Hole, etc. Go to town on these.

• Really focus on the stretches, going for Extreme or Occlusion stretches.

I mention some of this a bit here: FT Questions....

Smile

-S
-Scott