Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Hi Scott and hi everyone!! New here. Being a lover of these types of training I decided to do a deeper research on this and finally purchased the eBook. Really enjoyed it. Now I'm ready to rock, but I have some questions... The most important: when it's written "muscle rounds or pump" on turbo version (but also in basic) does it mean I have to do only either MR either pump? It's the only thing that doesn't make very much sense to me, since every major muscle group is trained with MR and only biceps and couples of other minors are trained with pump.. I don't think there is one who would skip all the major groups for training just biceps... Am I missing something?
(02-23-2016, 10:22 AM)AgoSte Wrote: Hi Scott and hi everyone!! New here. Being a lover of these types of training I decided to do a deeper research on this and finally purchased the eBook. Really enjoyed it. Now I'm ready to rock, but I have some questions... The most important: when it's written "muscle rounds or pump" on turbo version (but also in basic) does it mean I have to do only either MR either pump? It's the only thing that doesn't make very much sense to me, since every major muscle group is trained with MR and only biceps and couples of other minors are trained with pump.. I don't think there is one who would skip all the major groups for training just biceps... Am I missing something?

Welcome and thanks for buying the book!

Under the Column for Sets, where is says "P" you do a Pump set. Where it says MR, you do a Muscle Round.

(I don't follow your 2nd to last sentence above. )

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(02-23-2016, 12:36 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Welcome and thanks for buying the book!

Under the Column for Sets, where is says "P" you do a Pump set. Where it says MR, you do a Muscle Round.

(I don't follow your 2nd to last sentence above. )

-S
Actually you answered almost it all. But, let's take basic version, tier I, day 3. It says "do muscle rounds (or pump sets) ONLY". Does that mean that for leg I have to do either the 1xMR for thighs, either 1xP for quads or 1xP for hams?

S.
And why volume for leg is equal on day 3 of basic tier II and III?
(02-25-2016, 05:00 AM)AgoSte Wrote: Actually you answered almost it all. But, let's take basic version, tier I, day 3. It says "do muscle rounds (or pump sets) ONLY". Does that mean that for leg I have to do either the 1xMR for thighs, either 1xP for quads or 1xP for hams?

S.

That means:

For thighs, where is says "1 x MR" you would do 1 Muscle round for a thigh movement.

For quads, where is says "1 x P," you would do 1 Pump set for a quad movement.

For Hams, where is says "1 x P," you would 1 Pump set for a hamstring movement.

(02-25-2016, 05:30 AM)AgoSte Wrote: And why volume for leg is equal on day 3 of basic tier II and III?

Tier III adds a Muscle Round set for Calves and you're also adding a MR for forearms, so that day's volume for lower body and overall is a bit higher.

From a microscopic viewpoint, looking simply at "thigh," quad and ham exercises, an FT trainee can vary the relative stress in Tier II vs. III simply by choice of exercises, e.g., using smith sissy hack squats vs. knee extensions and SLDL's as a ham exercise vs. a prone hamstring curl. Doing a smith squat MR and a hack squat MR vs. doing MR's on two leg presses can dramatically change the stress of the workout and (which would be chosen on the fly depending on the person's self-perceived recovery status).

From a weekly volume standpoint, the volume across the Loading and Pump sets differs between Tier II vs. III (for thigh, quad and ham movements) and this "accumulates" over the week, as anyone who has done FT (esp. who has not done a high frequency program before) can tell you. Smile

If someone wants to do something other than what's set up in the Volume Tiers, I think this totally makes sense, but (as I've said a few times in this thread, I think), I suggest folks at least give the volume Tiers as set up generically (in the Overview sheets) a few runs, as this provides a basis for understanding from personal experience what someone can handle.

One can also change volume Tiers mid-week, too. (Doing this is addressed in the FAQs in the book.)

Over time, one will adapt to the program and then it's much easier to find a personal settling point (that could mean mixing volume Tiers or creating a personal hybrid) that's not confounded by a training effect. What seemed like too much when you start FT may not necessarily be after a few blasts. (On the other hand, you may learn to train harder than before and need to do LESS, too.)

It's also nice to be able to compare notes with other FT trainees if everyone has travelled the same path (standard volume Tiers) at least a couple times.

So, the Volume Tiers are set out provide a certain amount of structure, but I really encourage folks to first of all train as HARD as they safely can and then focus on exercise selection and ordering, etc. before "resorting" to training volume manipulations (as this obfuscates the learning of the nuances of exercise selection, order, etc.).

In other words, while on paper, the number of MR's for Thighs, quads and hams are the same in volume Tier II vs. III (on Day 3), the difference in training volume earlier in the week minimizes this over the long haul. If, after a few blasts, and learning to carefully pick exercises based on your recovery levels, then I'm all for someone personalizing a Volume Tier.

(Heck, it's fine by me if someone just picks n' chooses what they like from FT - I just want folks to make progress and enjoy training. Smile )

-Scott
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(02-25-2016, 08:09 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: That means:

For thighs, where is says "1 x MR" you would do 1 Muscle round for a thigh movement.

For quads, where is says "1 x P," you would do 1 Pump set for a quad movement.

For Hams, where is says "1 x P," you would 1 Pump set for a hamstring movement.

Tier III adds a Muscle Round set for Calves and you're also adding a MR for forearms, so that day's volume for lower body and overall is a bit higher.

From a microscopic viewpoint, looking simply at "thigh," quad and ham exercises, an FT trainee can vary the relative stress in Tier II vs. III simply by choice of exercises, e.g., using smith sissy hack squats vs. knee extensions and SLDL's as a ham exercise vs. a prone hamstring curl. Doing a smith squat MR and a hack squat MR vs. doing MR's on two leg presses can dramatically change the stress of the workout and (which would be chosen on the fly depending on the person's self-perceived recovery status).

From a weekly volume standpoint, the volume across the Loading and Pump sets differs between Tier II vs. III (for thigh, quad and ham movements) and this "accumulates" over the week, as anyone who has done FT (esp. who has not done a high frequency program before) can tell you. Smile

If someone wants to do something other than what's set up in the Volume Tiers, I think this totally makes sense, but (as I've said a few times in this thread, I think), I suggest folks at least give the volume Tiers as set up generically (in the Overview sheets) a few runs, as this provides a basis for understanding from personal experience what someone can handle.

One can also change volume Tiers mid-week, too. (Doing this is addressed in the FAQs in the book.)

Over time, one will adapt to the program and then it's much easier to find a personal settling point (that could mean mixing volume Tiers or creating a personal hybrid) that's not confounded by a training effect. What seemed like too much when you start FT may not necessarily be after a few blasts. (On the other hand, you may learn to train harder than before and need to do LESS, too.)

It's also nice to be able to compare notes with other FT trainees if everyone has travelled the same path (standard volume Tiers) at least a couple times.

So, the Volume Tiers are set out provide a certain amount of structure, but I really encourage folks to first of all train as HARD as they safely can and then focus on exercise selection and ordering, etc. before "resorting" to training volume manipulations (as this obfuscates the learning of the nuances of exercise selection, order, etc.).

In other words, while on paper, the number of MR's for Thighs, quads and hams are the same in volume Tier II vs. III (on Day 3), the difference in training volume earlier in the week minimizes this over the long haul. If, after a few blasts, and learning to carefully pick exercises based on your recovery levels, then I'm all for someone personalizing a Volume Tier.

(Heck, it's fine by me if someone just picks n' chooses what they like from FT - I just want folks to make progress and enjoy training. Smile )

-Scott
Thanks for the answer. So I got it right. That's what I did. Also for the volume I noticed quad volume is pretty high anyway so...

Great training, really. It's probably (I'll know it at the end of the blast) the best training I've ever done.
(02-25-2016, 10:45 PM)AgoSte Wrote: Thanks for the answer. So I got it right. That's what I did. Also for the volume I noticed quad volume is pretty high anyway so...

Great training, really. It's probably (I'll know it at the end of the blast) the best training I've ever done.

Folks get really really good leg growth FT, I've noticed. (Legs are usually the last thing many folks tend to train with higher frequency. Smile )

GLAD TO HEAR THAT! Definitely report back. Smile

ENJOY!!!

-S
-Scott

1. DC or FT? Big Grin

2. i cant feel the shoulder stretch, you showed in a video, feel in my shoulders... i also cant feel the dc stretch, both stretches feel ugly on my joints only... any recommendations?
(02-27-2016, 02:39 AM)sr95 Wrote: 1. DC or FT? Big Grin

I have no idea what you're referring to here.

2. i cant feel the shoulder stretch, you showed in a video, feel in my shoulders... i also cant feel the dc stretch, both stretches feel ugly on my joints only... any recommendations?
[/quote]

http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/attach...hp?aid=345

-S
-Scott

Hi Dr Stevenson

First off - thank you for your quick response to my email and fixing my account issue. It's appreciated - second congratulations on publication of such a great piece of work - fortitude training is definitely one of the best I've read.

I work a very high stress job and have been trying to come up with ways to structure fortitude training around my work schedule. Early morning training during the week and Saturday and Sunday are my best options. With regard to volume tiers I've found single loading sets taken to failure (much like a DC straight set) in the 6-10 rep range works best for me. I absolutely love the muscle rounds and reserve those workouts for the weekend - when I can pace myself a little more and don't have to rush from the gym to work. On top of this I have to work with an issue of long limbs and being forced to find advantageous mechanical positions to enable heavy loading on pushing and pulling movements (any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated). But this is what I've come up with please do let me know your thoughts

Tuesday
Back thickness 1 x loading
Back width 1 x loading
Chest 1 x loading
Delts 1 x loading
Lower body push 1 x pump
Quads 1 x pump
Hams 1 x pump
Calves 2 x pump

Thursday
Lower body push 1 x loading
Quads 1 x loading
Hams 1 x loading
Calves 2 x loading
Pecs 1 x pump
Back thickness 1 x pump
Delts 1 x pump
Biceps 1 x pump
Triceps 1 x pump

Saturday
Upper body MR
back thickness
Back width
Chest
Delts
Biceps triceps

Sunday
Lower body MR
lower body push
Quads
Hams
Calves

Would love to get your thoughts or inputs. Also have you got any clients on an MR only routine 3 to 4 days a week alternating upper and lower body? Would love to hear your thoughts on possible variations and strategies to work around lagging arms and a weak chest - I can row close to 300lbs for 10 res in tight form but can't reciprocate the same with pushing movements.

Anyway I'm rambling on - thank you in advance for any help you can offer

Best wishes
Joshua

Mumbai, India