Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leg training for FT Tier 1
Hi Scott and others,

So, I thought I’d ask for some tips on picking some leg exercises and scheduling etc. I have some pretty basic questions in here, so I apologies if it is too low level, but I want to get it clear. I have started playing around with a Tier 1 blast, so far I feel I’ve had great results, but some of my choices were made on a whim and I think I could have probably scheduled it better (I usually get this thought when I’m crying during a quad stretch after hitting quads with two compounds, wishing I chose something else)

So, we have about 8 exercises for ‘legs’ (Thighs quads hams) per week in Tier 1, so that is 24 options before repeating.
I have been doing several exercises twice in three weeks, once as a load set, the next time as a pump set. Is this ok/enough variety? For example, I’ll do squats on day 1 week 1 for “Thigh Loading”, and then again say on week 2 day 2 as a ‘pump’ exercise. Same with front squats (about a week and a half between). I also do say hacks as a muscle round and a pump exercise for quads. Is this ok? Anybody got an overuse issue or stalled on the logbook from something like this?

Also, what are your thoughts on walking Lunges as a pump exercise? I did these, but then I thought that these may not fit the ‘pump’ criteria because I alternate. I mean, they hurt and I definitely get a pump, but are not continuous reps. Has anybody else experimented with this? I don’t really want to do it one leg at a time because... well, you know why Smile

Also, timing:
Real basic stuff here:
For Muscle rounds (well, tier 1, so 1 MR and 2 Pump) I stretch in between quads and hams . So, warm up thigh, do MR, rest/warm up quads, do the pump set, stretch quads, then warm up hamstrings, do pump set, then stretch hams, then warm up calves etc. Is that correct? That's different from ‘Load’ days, where I warm up everything, Thigh set, rest, Quad set, rest, Ham set, stretch quads, stretch hams?

Thanks
I'd not do walking lunges as a pump, in part b/c of what you say but also that you want to be able to finish with partials, etc. and you'd likely end up falling on your butt if trying this for walking lunges.

So, first thing. I'd suggest going back and re-reading the sections on how to do Loading and Pump Sets and MR's.

Basic thoughts to address the above:

You pick THREE sets of Loading exercise for each muscle group / grouping (I'm considering thighs a muscle grouping). Do one set each week (days 1 and 2)

For MR's (and pump sets) the exercises are not set in stone. Do what you prefer, what' available, what feels right depending on ache's pains, your particular physique weaknesses, etc. You could use upper chest exercises for all your Chest pump exercises if you wanted to, if you're upper chest is weak.

-----------------

Finish the Loading sets, Pump sets or MR's for a given muscle group or grouping and THEN do your stretches. IF you want to stretch the hams before you've finished MR's (or Pump sets) for thighs, e.g. if you last set is for quad only, then that's fine.

You're thinking about it enough to recognize that the idea is to stretch the muscle when its pumped up. That's good and fine by me. In a situation when you're really trying to do everything you can to bring a muscle up, making sure to hit that stretch ASAP (e.g., for Hams, even if you've got another set left for quads) is fine.

(* I would not try this with anything else, e.g., thinking you can do stretch upper pecs between sets when the last one is for the lower pecs. The stretch is put at the end in part b/c we don't want to cause fatigue that reduces loading during the lifting, as well as dampen any reflexivity that helps guard against injury.)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks for the response
I guess stationary lunges alternating every 4 could be a muscle round exercise, but that sounds just awful haha

After rereading the sections: I have been overly focusing on beating the logbook on pump sets, which I guess is useful to make sure I'm not quitting early, but I should probably focus on the pump more. In my first few attempts I tended to push hard for full range failure, but I need to focus on extending the set - Will take some fortitude!

Also re. Muscle rounds, I just picked 3 exercises, I didn't consider the option of hammering away at the same exercise... Since I just starting this style of training and using new exercises I guess it is easy(er) for me to beat the logbook, so if I hammered away or only rotated 2 instead of 3 then I'd get them up as fast as possible, and then could introduce more? It seems if I go to tier 2 I'll need a lot more exercises in the pool, but for now I don't need as many.

Thanks for the notes on the stretching also. Some days I tried to throw in a quick quad stretch before the load set of hamstrings so I could stretch both with a pump... and I think my legs are making a lot of improvements so I hope to keep that going. For tier 1 there isn't really any other time where you'd need to break up a rest period to stretch. I guess it is possible to need to do the opposite, say stretch chest after training delts or triceps, but I haven't felt that need because the exercises I have chosen for delts don't involve the chest much.

FYI, Lately I have been feeling like a bit of an ass when I do loading exercises, for not unloading the weights whilst I do the next 2 sets and stretch Smile I read that you count rest periods when you're actually resting (not changing weights) but in my case since I'm just doing tier 1 I don't need to change weights (I can set up the 3 exercises usually for all warmups etc). I guess, ideally, pack it all up after stretching, but if there are others around I can quickly pack up (a minute or so) and then start the rest period. It means the rest period may be a bit longer on some days than others.
(11-02-2014, 09:53 AM)tmcg86 Wrote: Thanks for the response
I guess stationary lunges alternating every 4 could be a muscle round exercise, but that sounds just awful haha

After rereading the sections: I have been overly focusing on beating the logbook on pump sets, which I guess is useful to make sure I'm not quitting early, but I should probably focus on the pump more. In my first few attempts I tended to push hard for full range failure, but I need to focus on extending the set - Will take some fortitude!

Also re. Muscle rounds, I just picked 3 exercises, I didn't consider the option of hammering away at the same exercise... Since I just starting this style of training and using new exercises I guess it is easy(er) for me to beat the logbook, so if I hammered away or only rotated 2 instead of 3 then I'd get them up as fast as possible, and then could introduce more? It seems if I go to tier 2 I'll need a lot more exercises in the pool, but for now I don't need as many.

Thanks for the notes on the stretching also. Some days I tried to throw in a quick quad stretch before the load set of hamstrings so I could stretch both with a pump... and I think my legs are making a lot of improvements so I hope to keep that going. For tier 1 there isn't really any other time where you'd need to break up a rest period to stretch. I guess it is possible to need to do the opposite, say stretch chest after training delts or triceps, but I haven't felt that need because the exercises I have chosen for delts don't involve the chest much.

FYI, Lately I have been feeling like a bit of an ass when I do loading exercises, for not unloading the weights whilst I do the next 2 sets and stretch Smile I read that you count rest periods when you're actually resting (not changing weights) but in my case since I'm just doing tier 1 I don't need to change weights (I can set up the 3 exercises usually for all warmups etc). I guess, ideally, pack it all up after stretching, but if there are others around I can quickly pack up (a minute or so) and then start the rest period. It means the rest period may be a bit longer on some days than others.

Hey Bud,

OK, MR's will be progressive, but you log those in a "pool." You're missing out on the beauty of variation in your stimulus if you're trying to just use three exercises for the MR's.

As far as not unloading your weights, it depends on the exercise, but there are options.

E.g. for Thighs you might do:

Knee ext. first
Leg press 2nd
Lying DB ham curls 3rd (This way you're right there at the machine and can unload a few plates if needed.)

FIRST: Smith squats
Then unload ½ the plates
SECOND: DB ham curls (DB is already there)
Unload rest of weight and get set up for
THIRD: Sommersault squats

Anything where you do your isolation exercise first, then the compound.

Also, have a 2nd option available for an isolation if you lose a machine. It's the compound exercise that you're really trying to progress on. You can pretty much always get a plate and so some really sissy squats or even use a BB and so REAL BB hack squats (you won't need much weight - much less than ½ of what you squat.)

DB ham curls are almost always available and if you leave the isolation exercise for the last and you have to work in with someone and wait an extra 30 seconds, it's not an issue: Just make sure it's a LOADING set (heavy in the rep range you're using, typically 6-12). You've got plenty of time for metabolic stress with the pump sets, MR's and occlusion stretches.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks for that, I will give a few of the ideas a go. I'm still feeling my way with the program, I'm really enjoying it (well, I'm not sure if that's the right word, but I am enjoying the results at least Big Grin)
(11-02-2014, 09:51 PM)tmcg86 Wrote: Thanks for that, I will give a few of the ideas a go. I'm still feeling my way with the program, I'm really enjoying it (well, I'm not sure if that's the right word, but I am enjoying the results at least Big Grin)

LOL - I know just what you mean. Smile

You're welcome!

-S
-Scott

lasix ohne rezept bestellen furosemid 40 rezeptfrei kaufen lasix ohne rezept kaufen
lasix ohne rezept kaufen furosemid 40 rezeptfrei kaufen lasix ohne rezept
furosemid online ohne rezept kaufen lasix rezeptfrei österreich lasix online kaufen
lasix 40 mg ohne rezept kaufen furosemid 40 rezeptfrei kaufen lasix kaufen ohne rezept
lasix 40 mg rezeptfrei lasix kaufen apotheke furosemid ohne rezept online bestellen
furosemid online ohne rezept kaufen [url=https://monstergolfshop.com/forum/topic/lasix-kaufen-ohne-rezept-furosemid-apotheke-rezeptfrei-bestellen-tabletten/][/url] lasix rezeptfrei