Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes science bursts its own bubble...

Like having your preconceived notions tested?... Then you're REALLY gonna want to listen to this one..

#36 Muscle Growth Exploded with Scott Stevenson | ChrisDufey.com

------------------

Muscle growth... It seems there is still plenty to learn...

KISS: Keep It Simple...Science / Elite FTS

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Scott Stevenson for this post:
  • Altamir, jmoney18
Rumor has it that you are also doing a book with John Meadows?
Loved both the podcast and the article Scott.

I thought the information on the satellite cells was really interesting and I think explains a lot of what I have been thinking about the way I should be training lately (versus the way I have been training). And the info on Epigenetic memory was totally new to me and really really interesting. Though it does remind me of plenty of conversations I have had with people (including weekly it seems with my wife who swam division I in college) I have trained with over the years who were all active and athletic when they were younger versus myself who only started getting active in my mid 20s and the differences we've seen in what we have to do and the results we get.

Great stuff and seriously makes you think. I love the science behind it, but I also love the take home message of "Just get out there and train as hard and as often as you can"
(02-14-2015, 09:30 AM)Muscle175 Wrote: Rumor has it that you are also doing a book with John Meadows?

LOL!!! I guess it's really too much of a rumor when John posts it on Facebook, eh?... Wink

(02-15-2015, 01:09 AM)Altamir Wrote: Loved both the podcast and the article Scott.

I thought the information on the satellite cells was really interesting and I think explains a lot of what I have been thinking about the way I should be training lately (versus the way I have been training). And the info on Epigenetic memory was totally new to me and really really interesting. Though it does remind me of plenty of conversations I have had with people (including weekly it seems with my wife who swam division I in college) I have trained with over the years who were all active and athletic when they were younger versus myself who only started getting active in my mid 20s and the differences we've seen in what we have to do and the results we get.

Great stuff and seriously makes you think. I love the science behind it, but I also love the take home message of "Just get out there and train as hard and as often as you can"

Great input, my man.

What have you noticed more specifically wrt your wife?... I grew up swimming and have long suspected it might have something to do with the fact that my back is much stronger and developed than my chest. (We essentially did pushups or direct pec work and I never felt stimulation there when swimming...)

-S

-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(02-15-2015, 02:34 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: LOL!!! I guess it's really too much of a rumor when John posts it on Facebook, eh?... Wink

Great input, my man.

What have you noticed more specifically wrt your wife?... I grew up swimming and have long suspected it might have something to do with the fact that my back is much stronger and developed than my chest. (We essentially did pushups or direct pec work and I never felt stimulation there when swimming...)

-S

So the biggest difference overall is when she started weight training she had a much higher work capacity than I did. Which isn't really surprising, but she was also extremely explosive with her lifts. Where I am horrid. I lift VERY slowly and really really really have to think about being explosive and strong. I have to bring a lot of intensity to my training other wise it goes very poorly.

She did butterfly as her main stroke, so actually her chest got hit a LOT! But like you she took very quickly to back and chest training. We got her doing chin-ups with out much real work. But within the first few months of serious training her back and chest were far out paced her other body parts and her endurance for her back is crazy. She can do a lot of volume. Starting out she had a lot of trouble with leg training and arm training. Leg training was hard I think mostly because her ankle flexibility and mobility were so poor due to her swimming with her toes pointed all the time.
(02-15-2015, 05:48 AM)Altamir Wrote: So the biggest difference overall is when she started weight training she had a much higher work capacity than I did. Which isn't really surprising, but she was also extremely explosive with her lifts. Where I am horrid. I lift VERY slowly and really really really have to think about being explosive and strong. I have to bring a lot of intensity to my training other wise it goes very poorly.

She did butterfly as her main stroke, so actually her chest got hit a LOT! But like you she took very quickly to back and chest training. We got her doing chin-ups with out much real work. But within the first few months of serious training her back and chest were far out paced her other body parts and her endurance for her back is crazy. She can do a lot of volume. Starting out she had a lot of trouble with leg training and arm training. Leg training was hard I think mostly because her ankle flexibility and mobility were so poor due to her swimming with her toes pointed all the time.

Very interesting.

Sounds like she was at least a collegiate swimmer or beyond?...

-S
-Scott

(02-15-2015, 09:14 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Very interesting.

Sounds like she was at least a collegiate swimmer or beyond?...

-S

Yeah she swam competitively middle school through the first 4 years of college. Once she graduated and started in law school she focused pretty much on that exclusively. She did hang with the post collegiate swim crowd though and has some interesting stories about some of today's Olympic swimmers. This almost always comes up whenever we talk of the genetic elite versus the just "good" or "average". That you could tell that Michael Phelps was going to be a gold medalist when he was 20. He was already at the point so far beyond everyone else.

Not a large regret, but a small one is that we did not know each other back then and I wish I could have seen her compete at her peak Smile I've seen her swim and she's good, but its different Smile
(02-16-2015, 09:11 PM)Altamir Wrote: Yeah she swam competitively middle school through the first 4 years of college. Once she graduated and started in law school she focused pretty much on that exclusively. She did hang with the post collegiate swim crowd though and has some interesting stories about some of today's Olympic swimmers. This almost always comes up whenever we talk of the genetic elite versus the just "good" or "average". That you could tell that Michael Phelps was going to be a gold medalist when he was 20. He was already at the point so far beyond everyone else.

Not a large regret, but a small one is that we did not know each other back then and I wish I could have seen her compete at her peak Smile I've seen her swim and she's good, but its different Smile

Yes, I've been around some pretty good swimmers, too and it's kind of like best of the best are almost magical. That would have been pretty cool to have seen her swim...

There was a guy I swam with on my H.S. team (Dan) who was just born to swim, but really didn't care to compete or train. His strokes were flawless and his body type just ideal...

In the summers, he's swim on the club swim team in the 15-18yr old division, just to help them get points. He never trained with the team. Usually it would just be during the in town meets. He had other things going on, it was kind of a whenever kind of thing.

We were swimming our cross-town rivals who had several AAU swimmers, who trained 4+ hr / day plus dry land work, weights, etc. Their best (Sherwin) ended up swimming for U. Michigan on a full ride and was swimming his 100m butterfly (and maybe backstroke, too) under the times needed to quality for the Olympic trials. He was a machine.

Dan had been playing golf and went out on the links before the meet started. At the turn, someone tells the coach he's at the club so she asked him if he could compete. He didn't even have any trunks.

Dan literally laid his clubs down, slipped into some trunks (He'd do this sometime even in shorts style trunks) and goes to stand at the starting blocks to race Sherwin in the 50 yard butterfly. He's got a fresh farmer's burn on his arms and no goggles and managed a few arms circles to warm up . He'd probably not swum a lap since the last time he raced like this.

Dan beats Sherwin that day. It was just absolutely ridiculous, as if he would transform into a merman when he hit the water.... They might have convinced him to stick around, have a coke and hot dog and compete in a relay or something, before finishing up the rest if his golf for the day.

Smile

-S
-Scott

(02-17-2015, 01:09 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yes, I've been around some pretty good swimmers, too and it's kind of like best of the best are almost magical. That would have been pretty cool to have seen her swim...

There was a guy I swam with on my H.S. team (Dan) who was just born to swim, but really didn't care to compete or train. His strokes were flawless and his body type just ideal...

In the summers, he's swim on the club swim team in the 15-18yr old division, just to help them get points. He never trained with the team. Usually it would just be during the in town meets. He had other things going on, it was kind of a whenever kind of thing.

We were swimming our cross-town rivals who had several AAU swimmers, who trained 4+ hr / day plus dry land work, weights, etc. Their best (Sherwin) ended up swimming for U. Michigan on a full ride and was swimming his 100m butterfly (and maybe backstroke, too) under the times needed to quality for the Olympic trials. He was a machine.

Dan had been playing golf and went out on the links before the meet started. At the turn, someone tells the coach he's at the club so she asked him if he could compete. He didn't even have any trunks.

Dan literally laid his clubs down, slipped into some trunks (He'd do this sometime even in shorts style trunks) and goes to stand at the starting blocks to race Sherwin in the 50 yard butterfly. He's got a fresh farmer's burn on his arms and no goggles and managed a few arms circles to warm up . He'd probably not swum a lap since the last time he raced like this.

Dan beats Sherwin that day. It was just absolutely ridiculous, as if he would transform into a merman when he hit the water.... They might have convinced him to stick around, have a coke and hot dog and compete in a relay or something, before finishing up the rest if his golf for the day.

Smile

-S

Bah! That is the crazy stuff you hear about and just go ... WTF. Amazing though. I am always very jealous of those who have those athletic talents (as I have none) and it serves a very good reminder to myself, that I can only be my best me.