Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
post workout nutrition, carbs
Hi guys
Just thought itd be intresting to see what people like as there carb sources pwo , mainly geard towards folks doing a nutrient timing style diet ( no carbs until intra )
My pwo meal for a while has been ground turkey , rice crispys and almond milk
But due to feeling very lethargic after this meal , especially if I train first thing in the morning and snd after this meal ( 150g carb from the rice crispys ) is usually followed by a 12 hour work day , I just find my appite is very Low and energy is not great , so recently iv swapped to sweet potatoes and honey or jamsin rice , Macros are the Same but I just find since changing carb souces I don't feel as lethargic and my appite is much better
What's you thoughts on this guys ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikeland91 for this post:
  • Scott Stevenson
(05-06-2015, 07:00 PM)mikeland91 Wrote: Hi guys
Just thought itd be intresting to see what people like as there carb sources pwo , mainly geard towards folks doing a nutrient timing style diet ( no carbs until intra )
But due to feeling very lethargic after this meal , especially if I train first thing in the morning and snd after this meal ( 150g carb from the rice crispys ) is usually followed by a 12 hour work day , I just find my appite is very Low and energy is not great , so recently iv swapped to sweet potatoes and honey or jamsin rice , Macros are the Same but I just find since changing carb souces I don't feel as lethargic and my appite is much better

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to say that if you feel better, it's probably better. Sometimes this stuff is personal, and I have found it changes after awhile.

For my own personal experience, I'm the exact opposite. I do rice crispies and protein powder "milk" and feel great afterwards. Saturdays and Sunday's I train in the morning, and have that as my 3rd meal (2nd if not counting peri-work out) and still am pretty hungry throughout the rest of the day and keep hitting the carbs easily. I actually had to stop doing sweet potatoes as they were making me feel like I had cement in my stomach. I know people who eat oatmeal and feel terrible. For me, it feels like my body just chews and absorbs oatmeal extremely well.

How long ago have you made this change? do you see any changes in how you look? or how your training is going? Beyond how you physically feel, those would be the other two indicators that would at least let me know if what you are doing is working.
yeah I was the same cereal usually sits very well with me ,
iv only just changed my carb sources pwo , sweet pot sat very well which is weird because I haven't actually eaten them since 2013 when I last competed and had serious stomach issues ,but I just don't feel that fullness with them, jasmine rice sits well to at the moment but iv had issues with that in the past to so I guess its just about rotating foods
the main issue is if I train first thing ,
I eat at 5am
pro/fat meal
intra 130g cho
pwo 130g cho
then the next to meals after that are 80g carbs and then back to pro/fat meals
I just find I have no appetite most days doing this so the rest of the day is force feeding lol

where as when I train at preferred time of the day
I get 3 pro/fat meals then intra then all carbs till bed and have no issue with appetite infact im usually pretty hungry
I don't know the reason for this .
in terms of how I look iv have noticed no difference really on feeling and looking slightly flatter when I have sweet pot pwo
so I guess I like said earlier rotation is a good idea ,I just love eating my rice crispy's lol
training is still going well still progressing on most lifts each session
(05-06-2015, 07:00 PM)mikeland91 Wrote: Hi guys

Mike,

You might try taking some BCAA's (like 10g) just at the start of your post-workout meal (or with your intra-workout). BCAA's compete with tryptophan (L-Trp) in crossing the blood brain barrier, so this fatigue might be a function of L-Trp flooding the brain where it is a precursor to serotonin. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Smile
Scott , thank you
You always save the day
(05-07-2015, 01:21 AM)mikeland91 Wrote: Smile
Scott , thank you
You always save the day

LOL - I'm a rescuer, what can I say. (Just ask my therapist... Smile )

I'd like to see if that works for you, however. Smile That's a notion the comes from the central fatigue hypothesis, perhaps best supported by the effects of sermonin agonists (ergolytlc) and antagonists (ergogenic) on rat exercise performance.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
You sure are !

Tried that this morning , got to say I really did feel a difference, could be that I have changed carb sources post wo I have also been adding more carbs to my intra , and lowering the pwo meal
So that in combo with your advise is working a treat !
Il give an update in. Week our so to give it a fair run
Thanks again Scott
(05-08-2015, 12:05 AM)mikeland91 Wrote: You sure are !

Tried that this morning , got to say I really did feel a difference, could be that I have changed carb sources post wo I have also been adding more carbs to my intra , and lowering the pwo meal
So that in combo with your advise is working a treat !
Il give an update in. Week our so to give it a fair run
Thanks again Scott

You're welcome!

I'm not going to rule out a placebo effect, but either way, this is great to hear.

I think the real test would be to see if a BCAA strategy can minimize the grogginess you sensed initially, before you had to change your regimen. Smile

-S
-Scott

I can't have carbs early in the day , period. I end up feeling exactly how you described. I workout in the AM and just drink an intra BCAAA prOduct and throw 5g of leucine in 50g of whey protein post workout. NO CARBS I KNOW, SCARY. I seem to be recovering just fine. I am looking to add one more thing, which would be some type of supp/herb that could help blunt the cortisol response. Any suggestions scott? Maybe mega dose Vit. C at 3G?
(05-12-2015, 09:04 PM)Machmood Wrote: I can't have carbs early in the day , period. I end up feeling exactly how you described. I workout in the AM and just drink an intra BCAAA prOduct and throw 5g of leucine in 50g of whey protein post workout. NO CARBS I KNOW, SCARY. I seem to be recovering just fine. I am looking to add one more thing, which would be some type of supp/herb that could help blunt the cortisol response. Any suggestions scott? Maybe mega dose Vit. C at 3G?

Have you tried intraworkout carbs (drinking them only after your training is under way)?

More on vitamin C:

Integrative Bodybuilding: Unnatural Acts of Dietary Supplementation / Elite FTS

-S
-Scott