Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on FT sets
Question 
Hi,

I am a bit confused on the training sets and number of exercises. I am doing Tier 1...My questions are: (Lets say for Day 1)

1. Thigh, Quad and Ham are done as a triset ?
2. only 1 set per exercise? that means that you do a warm up with progressive increasing the kg and then you do a final set to your maximum? so eventually 1 set becomes 5-6 on exercises that you do really heavy ?

PS:
I went through the FT book quite fast so I am sure I missed couple of key points and possible answers to my questions. But due to unexpected changes in my personal life i had to convert to 3 days training immediately hence I decided to start FT 1 month earlier than i was planning to.

(11-10-2015, 08:25 PM)cotsios Wrote: Hi,

I am a bit confused on the training sets and number of exercises. I am doing Tier 1...My questions are: (Lets say for Day 1)

2. only 1 set per exercise? that means that you do a warm up with progressive increasing the kg and then you do a final set to your maximum? so eventually 1 set becomes 5-6 on exercises that you do really heavy ?

PS:
I went through the FT book quite fast so I am sure I missed couple of key points and possible answers to my questions. But due to unexpected changes in my personal life i had to convert to 3 days training immediately hence I decided to start FT 1 month earlier than i was planning to.

Warm up (don't overdo it, make sure you're fresh)

Thigh - rest period - quad - rest period - hamstring

Tier 2

Thigh - rest - quad - rest - Thigh - rest - ham

Tier 1 you could take all to failure, tier 2 you'd leave some in the tank for the first thigh set then take the rest to failure
(11-10-2015, 08:25 PM)cotsios Wrote: Hi,

PS:

Hey Bud,

Easiest way to address this would be for you to (re)read the section on Loading sets (p.87) again. They are "zig-zagged," with prescribed rest intervals. You rotate the exercises for each workout, week by week, using just one of three grouping of exercises each week. This is all laid out in the book (with set #'s on the Overview Sheets) with examples.

You'll need to warm up on all exercises you use for Loading sets, so that when you zig zag between / among them, you can rest during the rest interval. (This is not to say that if you are resting and feel like you absolutely need to do a few reps with the next exercise, e.g., if someone adjusted the machine's seat and lever arm settings and you need to confirm that they in the right spot, you might need to do a few reps. SAFETY FIRST, but ideally, you're psychologically, neurologically and muscularly prepared so that you can go from the loading set of one exercise to the other without any warming up in between.)

Warm up is up to you - how ever many sets get you best ready to kick ass on the loading sets.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
just to check whether I got it right this time:

Tier 1: Day 1
Squat: warm up and then 1 set of 12 (Question1, if you can do more? u do drop set? or another set?)
Deadlift: 1 set of 12
Leg Extension: 1 set of 12

Bench Press superset with Lat pull down 25 reps each
shrugs superset with abs
barbell curl superset with overhead barbell extension

Tier 1: Day 2
Bent over barbell row
Bench Press
Shrugs
Bent over barbell row

Triset 25 reps: leg press, leg curl, calf raise

Question2 what about loading sets for arms? (biceps, triceps)

Cotsios,

Before I address the following:

Did you read the section in the book? (Where would you get the idea to do a drop set or add a set?...

Also, I don't think you're reading the Overview sheets very closely, as you've missed the exercises for adductors, and calves.

Also, Deadlifts are a poor choice for hamstrings and shrugs are a traps, not delt exercise.

How long have you been training?...

-S

(11-12-2015, 04:56 AM)cotsios Wrote: just to check whether I got it right this time:

Tier 1: Day 1
Squat: warm up and then 1 set of 12 (Question1, if you can do more? u do drop set? or another set?)
Deadlift: 1 set of 12
Leg Extension: 1 set of 12

Bench Press superset with Lat pull down 25 reps each
shrugs superset with abs
barbell curl superset with overhead barbell extension

Tier 1: Day 2
Bent over barbell row
Bench Press
Shrugs
Bent over barbell row

Triset 25 reps: leg press, leg curl, calf raise

Question2 what about loading sets for arms? (biceps, triceps)
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
well 15 years (don't laugh..)

it doesn't say anything about drop set or extra set, but in cases when lets the first time you are not sure with the weight and you can keep going what is the suggested way to proceed (just forget about it and next time use more?) ?

I have missed writing about them, but I did do abductors and calfs.

you are right about delts, i keep confusing delts and traps (in english)

but I want to make sure i get the general concept right:...
so its basically warm up, then one rep to maximum kg for 6-12 reps every week you add kg, if you dont add for 2 consecutive weeks you change order or exercise.. also the zig zag method is from set to set ? i.e. u do warmup for all the muscle groups and for day 2 tier 1 - you do - back, bench press, delts and back again...

PS: usually I do spend sometime reading, and planning my next workout but this time is one of those times that everything is planned on the fly.... i thought it would be easy to follow but it seems that I need to be more concentrated when reading and do a bit more research on the exercises. .
Zig zagging is for one muscle group...
(11-13-2015, 03:34 AM)cotsios Wrote: well 15 years (don't laugh..)

it doesn't say anything about drop set or extra set, but in cases when lets the first time you are not sure with the weight and you can keep going what is the suggested way to proceed (just forget about it and next time use more?) ?

I have missed writing about them, but I did do abductors and calfs.

Hey Bud!

(I know there's a language barrier here, but still wondering if you've tried to work through the book descriptions. They are better than what I'll type here on the fly.)

So, typically, if you're doing loading sets with your go to exercises you would not miss the mark on reps b/c those are exercises you have been doing or have a sense of your strength on.

If you get a few reps in and it's obvious you've mis-loaded for the intended rep range (someone roughly int he 6-12 range), then you might adjust. Otherwise, I'd just carry out the set as you otherwise would and note the reps.

Quote:you are right about delts, i keep confusing delts and traps (in english)

but I want to make sure i get the general concept right:...
so its basically warm up, then one rep to maximum kg for 6-12 reps every week you add kg, if you dont add for 2 consecutive weeks you change order or exercise.. also the zig zag method is from set to set ? i.e. u do warmup for all the muscle groups and for day 2 tier 1 - you do - back, bench press, delts and back again...

What I think might actually help here is to maybe find someone who speaks your mother tongue as well as English.

That being said...

You rotate groups of exercises for Loading sets (see the section in the book - the very LARGE figure).

As Robbie noted, zig-zagging is for a single muscle group and those examples are in the figures in the book.

Quote:PS: usually I do spend sometime reading, and planning my next workout but this time is one of those times that everything is planned on the fly.... i thought it would be easy to follow but it seems that I need to be more concentrated when reading and do a bit more research on the exercises.

Yes, I think so. The total amount of reading for the section on loading sets is only a couple pages or so, so I bet you can bang that out. Smile

BTW, "planned on the fly" is a nice way of saying it. Is that different from being strategically spontaneous?... Smile

-S
-Scott

thanks all for your feedback...

Day 1 and 2 workout ready. appreciate ur feedback on exercises chosen

[Image: Capture.jpg]
(11-18-2015, 05:45 PM)cotsios Wrote: thanks all for your feedback...

Day 1 and 2 workout ready. appreciate ur feedback on exercises chosen

[Image: Capture.jpg]

Those look like good standard choices. Smile

Only you can really know if they're the best ones for you. (For instance, I know people who don't find that squats or bent over rows are their best choices, although those work really well for most folks. Smile )

-S
-Scott