Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thigh exercises
I have a Smith Machine, power cage, and a trap bar. I enjoy lifting at my home gym so I'm trying to come up with enough excersises to rotate.

For Loads

BB Squat
Smith Squat
Smith Front Squat

For Pump

Vertical leg press on smith
Smith Squat

MR

In Virgin Voyage it's mostly some form of leg press or hack squats here. Which I dont have either.

I can come up with quads excersises, but other than repeating the load compounds over and over I'm kind of stumped on thighs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

And where would a Trap Bar squat on elevated platform be placed. Would it be considered a thigh movement or more of a quad?

(12-20-2015, 01:50 AM)flairsjobber Wrote: I have a Smith Machine, power cage, and a trap bar. I enjoy lifting at my home gym so I'm trying to come up with enough excersises to rotate.

For Loads

BB Squat
Smith Squat
Smith Front Squat

For Pump

Vertical leg press on smith
Smith Squat

MR

In Virgin Voyage it's mostly some form of leg press or hack squats here. Which I dont have either.

I can come up with quads excersises, but other than repeating the load compounds over and over I'm kind of stumped on thighs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

And where would a Trap Bar squat on elevated platform be placed. Would it be considered a thigh movement or more of a quad?

First thought here - just get to it. If you're stumped for exercises, you might not be quite experienced enough to run this program.

Of course the VV presumes you have a regular gym to train in. There's nothing really exotic in there, but you're maybe under equipped at home I think, esp. if you don't have DB. This CAN be remedied if you're willing to buy a few things, but that's up to you.

For thighs / quads
HIp squat belt squats
Lap squats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCF0WDnFPg
Somersault squats with a smith.
I've even seen these done with a barbell! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrDR-Qt86X8
SMith sissy hacks.
Lunge: BB, smith, DB.
BUlgarian split squats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Ee3M6SDgQ
Goblet DB squats
Step-ups, too.

Get enough plates to set up with some Olympic DB handles and this should help immensely. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks a lot Scott. I didn't mention all my equipment and I should have. I have poweblocks up to 90 lbs, but I have dumbells from 90-150 lb and powerhooks. I also have a leg extention and leg curl machine, also a seated calf machine. I have over 1100 lbs of free weights, about 800 in olmpic plates. And I do happen to have some olympic dumbells.

Not related to legs, but I also have a lat tower with seated row, a dip station, and a couple of nice FID benches. My home gym is my hobby that I spend my extra money on, and Im looking into getting a leg press/hack machine in the near future.

I've seen several of the excerises listed, but wasn't sure if some were considered a thigh or quad movement. For example, I did the smith sissy squats for quads as it's listed in VV.

I've been lifting for about 30 years, and after reading what I wrote in the original post I would have come to the conclusion that I was clueless also. I just tend to be a tad bit anal about things, and was trying to do FT as perfect as possible with what I had at the house. Yes, I am a memberer at a decent gym, but I really prefer my workouts at the house.

I've been doing DC off and on for the last 2 years, and I have to say that this last week of FT has been the most enjoyable lifting that I can recall. No knock at all at DC, I love it, but you have put together something special.
(12-20-2015, 03:50 PM)flairsjobber Wrote: Thanks a lot Scott. I didn't mention all my equipment and I should have. I have poweblocks up to 90 lbs, but I have dumbells from 90-150 lb and powerhooks. I also have a leg extention and leg curl machine, also a seated calf machine. I have over 1100 lbs of free weights, about 800 in olmpic plates. And I do happen to have some olympic dumbells.

Not related to legs, but I also have a lat tower with seated row, a dip station, and a couple of nice FID benches. My home gym is my hobby that I spend my extra money on, and Im looking into getting a leg press/hack machine in the near future.

I've seen several of the excerises listed, but wasn't sure if some were considered a thigh or quad movement. For example, I did the smith sissy squats for quads as it's listed in VV.

I've been lifting for about 30 years, and after reading what I wrote in the original post I would have come to the conclusion that I was clueless also. I just tend to be a tad bit anal about things, and was trying to do FT as perfect as possible with what I had at the house. Yes, I am a memberer at a decent gym, but I really prefer my workouts at the house.

I've been doing DC off and on for the last 2 years, and I have to say that this last week of FT has been the most enjoyable lifting that I can recall. No knock at all at DC, I love it, but you have put together something special.

Hey Bud!

Thanks for the good feedback. Glad you're digging FT. Smile

OK, so now we're getting down to it. VERY helpful to know you've got a regular gym.

(Thanks for recognized how I might have thought you're a newbie just from that post. What happens sometimes is folks err on the side of simplicity with a first post. I'm a bit different in that I don't like to fire off generic catch-all answers... Also, we miss a bit with online interaction. Smile )

So, yes, SSH are a quad movement. I just threw out a slew of exercises as a pre-emptive strike on questions later in the thread. Smile

----------

So, we can get specific here, but it looks like you've got plenty of exercises with your home gym. Get a hip squat belt (IronMind - Stronger Minds, Stronger Bodies) and you'll have even more options.

Hip belt squats can be done on a smith or with a BB.

IronMind - Stronger Minds, Stronger Bodies

Also, vert leg presses on a smith can be done unilaterally as a MR (simply alternate back n forth continuously).

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
I just ordered my Ironmind hip belt, should be here Wednesday with two day delievery. I can see that belt being useful for many things.
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. With what I had in mind and all the excerises you've listed, I should be set on legs. The vert leg press done unilaterally sounds like a solid idea. I'm still curious about your thoughts of the Trap Bar for leg movements. If you were to personally use one where would you put it?

I thought of one more thing. The link in VV for the camelback row takes me to a private video on youtube. I get the idea, but I kind of like watching the videos of the movements.
(12-21-2015, 07:05 AM)flairsjobber Wrote: I just ordered my Ironmind hip belt, should be here Wednesday with two day delievery. I can see that belt being useful for many things.
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. With what I had in mind and all the excerises you've listed, I should be set on legs. The vert leg press done unilaterally sounds like a solid idea. I'm still curious about your thoughts of the Trap Bar for leg movements. If you were to personally use one where would you put it?

I personally haven't done those much, but I would do them with heels elevated and use it as a quad exercise. Smile

Quote:I thought of one more thing. The link in VV for the camelback row takes me to a private video on youtube. I get the idea, but I kind of like watching the videos of the movements.

Can you view this vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Y7l07uVS4

-S
-Scott

I can see those, Thanks. From the description in the book all I would do different is lean more forward and pull to the chin. Looking forward to doing them.
(12-21-2015, 12:17 PM)flairsjobber Wrote: I can see those, Thanks. From the description in the book all I would do different is lean more forward and pull to the chin. Looking forward to doing them.

Yes, exactly.

It's really just making a Lat width exercise out of a row, whereby the body positioning prevents use of momentum, and creates a great way to get a good stretch via spinal flexion that doesn't compress and thus create massive pressure on the posterior disc wall. Smile

-S
-Scott

My hip belt came in a day early. Even though I do my Loads on Mon/Wednesday and today is Tuesday, I just had to put it on and hit my gym to test it out.

All I got to say is wow! I put it on the smith machine with a pad, I had to stand on a platform to get a parallel squat.I put on very little weight. I didn't want to do but a few due it being my off day, but just about 10 light reps got my quads pumped up crazy.

I'm impressed to say the least. I can only imagine what a MR round will feel like.

For anybody interested in one, I got mine from Amazon for 142.00. It qualifies for Prime shipping if you are a Prime member.

Thanks Scott for recommending it.
(12-23-2015, 08:57 AM)flairsjobber Wrote: My hip belt came in a day early. Even though I do my Loads on Mon/Wednesday and today is Tuesday, I just had to put it on and hit my gym to test it out.

All I got to say is wow! I put it on the smith machine with a pad, I had to stand on a platform to get a parallel squat.I put on very little weight. I didn't want to do but a few due it being my off day, but just about 10 light reps got my quads pumped up crazy.

I'm impressed to say the least. I can only imagine what a MR round will feel like.

For anybody interested in one, I got mine from Amazon for 142.00. It qualifies for Prime shipping if you are a Prime member.

Thanks Scott for recommending it.

You're welcome!!!

Excellent! I didn't know they'd put them up for sale on Amazon. That's great.

Very little weight is needed compared to a squat or what have you.

This is on my Ironmaster:

https://www.facebook.com/scott.stevenson...=3&theater

-S
-Scott