Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscle Round adaptations
When I first started with these about 18 months ago, the outcome was always muscular failure through the muscles under load "giving out", followed by five to 10 minutes of breathlessness/lying on the floor.

Now, though, the outcome is muscular failure through the pain of metabolic waste/blood pump, followed by effectively no time at all out of breath.

Weights have increased significantly over the duration, with no loss of form, so training stress hasn't lessened.

I can't get over how different the muscular feeling at failure is now and how it is possible (though probably not desirable when avoidable) to complete a tier one turbo MR workout moving from machine to machine with no downtime bar setting up weights.

I could probably reason with myself that an aspect of getting "fitter over time" that has lessened/negated the between set downtime, but what's the deal with the change in muscular feel (I'm having a hard time explaining it here).

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Dr Scott - any thoughts?
(06-04-2016, 05:35 AM)righty Wrote: When I first started with these about 18 months ago, the outcome was always muscular failure through the muscles under load "giving out", followed by five to 10 minutes of breathlessness/lying on the floor.

Now, though, the outcome is muscular failure through the pain of metabolic waste/blood pump, followed by effectively no time at all out of breath.

Weights have increased significantly over the duration, with no loss of form, so training stress hasn't lessened.

I can't get over how different the muscular feeling at failure is now and how it is possible (though probably not desirable when avoidable) to complete a tier one turbo MR workout moving from machine to machine with no downtime bar setting up weights.

I could probably reason with myself that an aspect of getting "fitter over time" that has lessened/negated the between set downtime, but what's the deal with the change in muscular feel (I'm having a hard time explaining it here).

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Dr Scott - any thoughts?

I think this is simply a prime example of a training adaptation:

• Faster recovery HR
• Greater ability to clear metabolites (which stimulate both HR and ventilation via Type III and Type IV afferents in skeletal muscle).
• The above is secondary to basic enzymatic adaptation in skeletal muscle (probably glycolytic and mitochondrial, as well as increased monocarboxylate transporter activity to move lactate and a proton out of cells, increased capillary density, etc.
• Increased neurological drive (rate coding, etc.), pain tolerance, disinhibition, development of psychological strategies, etc.
• More muscle mass, too, of course.

And also, you are willing / have the proclivity to train very hard and keep pushing limits as well as possibly good genetics for adaptation to this kind of training.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(06-04-2016, 07:48 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I think this is simply a prime example of a training adaptation:

• Faster recovery HR
• Greater ability to clear metabolites (which stimulate both HR and ventilation via Type III and Type IV afferents in skeletal muscle).
• The above is secondary to basic enzymatic adaptation in skeletal muscle (probably glycolytic and mitochondrial, as well as increased monocarboxylate transporter activity to move lactate and a proton out of cells, increased capillary density, etc.
• Increased neurological drive (rate coding, etc.), pain tolerance, disinhibition, development of psychological strategies, etc.
• More muscle mass, too, of course.

And also, you are willing / have the proclivity to train very hard and keep pushing limits as well as possibly good genetics for adaptation to this kind of training.

-S

Thanks for your input, Dr Scott. Smile
Plenty of new words there for me to read up about today.
I guess training adaptation describes it well.

The difference in between set recovery is staggering but it's the different pain/reason to terminate the set that intrigues me the most.

The lactic burn/metabolite build-up pain is profound in a great way.

Fasted blood sugar levels have also continued to trend downwards - where they were pretty much always 4.2 mmol/L (76mg/dL) under my first run at FT with you, they are now in the 3.6-3.9 mmol/L (65-70mg/dL) range, even before my latest pre-blast cut. Another adaptation, I guess.

FT just keeps giving. Big Grin
(06-04-2016, 04:54 PM)righty Wrote: Thanks for your input, Dr Scott. Smile
Plenty of new words there for me to read up about today.
I guess training adaptation describes it well.

The difference in between set recovery is staggering but it's the different pain/reason to terminate the set that intrigues me the most.

The lactic burn/metabolite build-up pain is profound in a great way.

Fasted blood sugar levels have also continued to trend downwards - where they were pretty much always 4.2 mmol/L (76mg/dL) under my first run at FT with you, they are now in the 3.6-3.9 mmol/L (65-70mg/dL) range, even before my latest pre-blast cut. Another adaptation, I guess.

FT just keeps giving. Big Grin

You're welcome!

LOL! Fortitude Training: The Loving, Caring, Giving Bodybuilding Training System. Smile

I think those pump sets are helping with his as well, of course. MR's are in between Loading and Pump sets on the spectrum of load and metabolic stress, so there will be some carry over to from both set types to MRs. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.