Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Basic vs turbo
(03-17-2017, 11:44 PM)Altamir Wrote: Hey no problem, and your post is not long at all!

The sleep thing is for sure not going to help.

and not to be critical, but honest, you are over thinking things. Try not to add sets to anything. Run the program as is, learn, if something is not working, push harder, hit your pump sets harder, hit your stretches harder. If that doesn't work, then step back and re-evaluate. The objective here is to pour everything you have into one set. It's a skill and it takes time to master it. but it will yield GREAT results. What Scott has laid out for arms is plenty and I've actually found myself getting extremely close to my arms being over trained running turbo. This took time thought. I was not doing this right out of the gate week one. Honestly my first blast was I was thinking "these pump sets are sort of meh for arms" and now I think "oh damn, this is going to fucking hurt sooo bad" It takes time to get from A to B!

You are pretty new to the program, correct? Have you run basic yet? The issue may just be turbo. an You've got your MRs back to back, and that may just be too much to recover from. So that would honestly be my first recommendation. Just run basic and see how your legs respond. Also if your weight hasn't gone up in 2 weeks, time to add more food. For myself the gap between your training and rest days seems about right. Might just need more food overall.

Hope this helps and hope sleep gets buckled down. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Hi Altamir you seem very experienced with the program. I love to train very hard and push myself that's why I love this forum and concept of the program.
And reading through this thread makes me wonder because I sometimes have recovery issues. I would love to run the basic four day week version but do you think it would be wise to try the basic version and asses recovery or start with the 3 day version and build up a tolerance before moving on?
(09-22-2017, 02:52 AM)SwaggyC Wrote: Hi Altamir you seem very experienced with the program. I love to train very hard and push myself that's why I love this forum and concept of the program.
And reading through this thread makes me wonder because I sometimes have recovery issues. I would love to run the basic four day week version but do you think it would be wise to try the basic version and asses recovery or start with the 3 day version and build up a tolerance before moving on?

Hey! I've been running FT for 3 years straight, taking a short break now to scratch some training itches, but I have a bit of knowledge Wink I like the attitude though.

As far as recovery, hard question to answer. So sort of before I answer, I'm going to ask a question back at you. Annoying I know. Wink What makes you think you have recovery issues? As you answer, some things to take into consideration, would be sleep, schedule, stress levels, food, supplements, etc etc. Knowing this might give me and others a better chance to give you an answer specifically tailored to you, versus a generic "try and see and find out". Smile
(09-22-2017, 04:31 AM)Altamir Wrote: Hey! I've been running FT for 3 years straight, taking a short break now to scratch some training itches, but I have a bit of knowledge Wink I like the attitude though.

As far as recovery, hard question to answer. So sort of before I answer, I'm going to ask a question back at you. Annoying I know. Wink What makes you think you have recovery issues? As you answer, some things to take into consideration, would be sleep, schedule, stress levels, food, supplements, etc etc. Knowing this might give me and others a better chance to give you an answer specifically tailored to you, versus a generic "try and see and find out". Smile

Well I suppose it could be a number of things soreness Ik isn't always a sign that I haven't recovered but after I hard workout I would sometimes be sore for idk 5-6 days sometimes especially legs. Sleep can be iffy because of a hectic lifestyle due to responsibilities. And usually travel on the weekend to visit family make things difficult to check off all the little boxes sleep, most of all. That being said I am a dedicated individual and always put my full effort in. But I can feel very run down sometimes. My nutrition has improved ten fold the last year though. Stress I don't feel is too bad I try to keep that in check, do a lot of yoga as well which honestly seems to help. The soreness doesn't bother me But it does make me wonder if I'm recovering. It's like the mind is ready again to hit the iron but the body doesn't always want to cooperate. I hope that makes sense. And thankyou for responding brother
(09-22-2017, 06:21 AM)SwaggyC Wrote: Well I suppose it could be a number of things soreness Ik isn't always a sign that I haven't recovered but after I hard workout I would sometimes be sore for idk 5-6 days sometimes especially legs. Sleep can be iffy because of a hectic lifestyle due to responsibilities. And usually travel on the weekend to visit family make things difficult to check off all the little boxes sleep, most of all. That being said I am a dedicated individual and always put my full effort in. But I can feel very run down sometimes. My nutrition has improved ten fold the last year though. Stress I don't feel is too bad I try to keep that in check, do a lot of yoga as well which honestly seems to help. The soreness doesn't bother me But it does make me wonder if I'm recovering. It's like the mind is ready again to hit the iron but the body doesn't always want to cooperate. I hope that makes sense. And thankyou for responding brother

Great response. I have a much clearer picture now. Great that you've brought your nutritional game up to par. And I know exactly what you mean by soreness. There is for sure times in FT given the frequency, that you will be sore or slightly sore going into a training session. Key here is, are you progressing. If you can go into a session, and improve, then you are on the right track. If you are stalling or regressing, an adjustment or a cruise is needed. To sort of map things out, at the start of an FT blast the frequency usually does not bother me, I'm fresh, but you can feel as the weeks pass, the fatigue builds. You aren't going into every single training session 100%.
And its up to you to either, bring it, back off, or cruise.

A brief aside, I had a great conversation with Scott about bringing up my triceps. I love PJR pullovers, but they leave me with almost crippling DOMs in my triceps. So I don't do them very often. Scott basically challenged me, threw down the gauntlet and said do them every damn week, and improve every week, sore or not. I honestly was a bit daunted, but I got after it, and made progress! Until proven other wise, limitations are purely set in your mind. Smile

One hopefully final question for you. If you are traveling a lot on the weekends, do you still have time to train? Is this a sometimes thing? An option that might work well for you is the weeks where you can fit in 4 training sessions, run basic. The weeks where you can only do 3. Run family man plan. Pay attention to recovery on the weeks you can run 4 versus 3 and adjust your tiers accordingly.

So this is a bunch of hypothetical, but just to give you some ideas. Obviously, start at tier 1. And you may find that's plenty of volume when you are doing 4 days, but not quite enough when you are doing 3 days a week. So run your 3 days a week plan at tier 2, 4 days a week plan at tier 1. Or since you say sleep is rough sometimes with travel on the weekends. The opposite. Point I'm trying to make is the program can easily be auto-regulated by you to fit your recovery/lifestyle/training intensity/etc.

A lot of words here I know, but hopefully you found some of them helpful. Let me know what you think, and if you have anymore questions. Smile
(09-22-2017, 09:18 PM)Altamir Wrote: Great response. I have a much clearer picture now. Great that you've brought your nutritional game up to par. And I know exactly what you mean by soreness. There is for sure times in FT given the frequency, that you will be sore or slightly sore going into a training session. Key here is, are you progressing. If you can go into a session, and improve, then you are on the right track. If you are stalling or regressing, an adjustment or a cruise is needed. To sort of map things out, at the start of an FT blast the frequency usually does not bother me, I'm fresh, but you can feel as the weeks pass, the fatigue builds. You aren't going into every single training session 100%.
And its up to you to either, bring it, back off, or cruise.

A brief aside, I had a great conversation with Scott about bringing up my triceps. I love PJR pullovers, but they leave me with almost crippling DOMs in my triceps. So I don't do them very often. Scott basically challenged me, threw down the gauntlet and said do them every damn week, and improve every week, sore or not. I honestly was a bit daunted, but I got after it, and made progress! Until proven other wise, limitations are purely set in your mind. Smile

One hopefully final question for you. If you are traveling a lot on the weekends, do you still have time to train? Is this a sometimes thing? An option that might work well for you is the weeks where you can fit in 4 training sessions, run basic. The weeks where you can only do 3. Run family man plan. Pay attention to recovery on the weeks you can run 4 versus 3 and adjust your tiers accordingly.

So this is a bunch of hypothetical, but just to give you some ideas. Obviously, start at tier 1. And you may find that's plenty of volume when you are doing 4 days, but not quite enough when you are doing 3 days a week. So run your 3 days a week plan at tier 2, 4 days a week plan at tier 1. Or since you say sleep is rough sometimes with travel on the weekends. The opposite. Point I'm trying to make is the program can easily be auto-regulated by you to fit your recovery/lifestyle/training intensity/etc.

A lot of words here I know, but hopefully you found some of them helpful. Let me know what you think, and if you have anymore questions. Smile
Everything I could have wanted in a response and more! Wow ! Ti see that autoregulation can not bre understated here. hankyou very much for all the help here and i will definitely take that into account when planning out the cycle and training week. Thanks for all the wise words. You the man! P.s -I'm sure the triceps development is nasty