Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diet ?
Wish I could post on everything. But for some reason it say I'm not authorized to post on this topic. I have Hard time giving in to the idea of cutting my protein down. I usually fall around 2+ hrs per lb. I see a lot of knowledgeable guys saying u can go much lower than I do. One thing I like protein. The other I'm worried I won't have enough to grow? Trying to put the hole ft training in place. I change my diet. Training days I eat 4500 calories protein 450 ish/ cabs 525 ish and fat around 75. And rest days. I drop calories down to 3500 pro/110 carbs/ fats 110. So far may weight isn't moving. I do cardio 7x a week(incline 10% at 2.5 mph so not hard) first thing in the morning. Do I increase training day calories or rest days? Oh body weight 208 @ 8% bf. yes this is a true body fat not what I think I am. Thanks for input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After digging into the protein consumption debate I decided to spend my night gathering information on exactly what takes place with in the body with the excess. Most of this I have read or watched videos ect on but never put it all together at one time. So the body can convert around 20g of protein into muscle a day if ur very luck? And maybe use another 50g give or take for muscle sparing? So what happened to the rest. From what I can see it is turned into fuel ( carbohydrates i.e. A longe way about it) so why not give it what it is going to do any way. I'm not saying consume 70g of protein a day. ( bare in mind I'm thinking actual meat protein and not sources from grains nuts ect) 400-500 like I do is just a waste. Further backing up digestion. So if one is try to eat 5000 calories a day and is trying to keep his fats down how would this look diet wise? 605 carbs 55%- protein 330 30% ( just going of fitness app that adds all protein. I have found u can drop 50+ for other sources other than meat coming to around 270 ish) and fat about 70 15%. What do u guys think especially scott

(03-23-2017, 08:40 AM)Powerof2 Wrote: Wish I could post on everything. But for some reason it say I'm not authorized to post on this topic. I have Hard time giving in to the idea of cutting my protein down. I usually fall around 2+ hrs per lb. I see a lot of knowledgeable guys saying u can go much lower than I do. One thing I like protein. The other I'm worried I won't have enough to grow? Trying to put the hole ft training in place. I change my diet. Training days I eat 4500 calories protein 450 ish/ cabs 525 ish and fat around 75. And rest days. I drop calories down to 3500 pro/110 carbs/ fats 110. So far may weight isn't moving. I do cardio 7x a week(incline 10% at 2.5 mph so not hard) first thing in the morning. Do I increase training day calories or rest days? Oh body weight 208 @ 8% bf. yes this is a true body fat not what I think I am. Thanks for input.

Hey! So the protein thing is something I struggle with myself. So I don't think I could lend much insight there. I stay at around 1.75g per lb, and some days go over. I feel like you a paranoid about it. It's can be a go to snack for me when I'm bulking and hungry, but know I really shouldn't eat much more, since the body has a hard time converting it into fat.

I will offer a bit of an outsiders view on the other part of your question. You had another thread in which you had questions about your legs recovering, and then this thread about how you are having trouble gaining weight, and doing 7 days of cardio. I understand you see it as not being hard, but these two bits of information sort of clicked for me. You may want to look into scaling back some of that cardio. Just by doing that and making zero other adjustments, I have a hunch you might start to see your weight go up and your legs recover better. Just a thought!!
I was thinking the same as Altamir, the cardio might be killing it for you in terms of the scale going up and your legs recovering. Try scaling it back and see what happens. How long are you doing cardio for?
(03-23-2017, 10:22 PM)Altamir Wrote: Hey! So the protein thing is something I struggle with myself. So I don't think I could lend much insight there. I stay at around 1.75g per lb, and some days go over. I feel like you a paranoid about it. It's can be a go to snack for me when I'm bulking and hungry, but know I really shouldn't eat much more, since the body has a hard time converting it into fat.

I will offer a bit of an outsiders view on the other part of your question. You had another thread in which you had questions about your legs recovering, and then this thread about how you are having trouble gaining weight, and doing 7 days of cardio. I understand you see it as not being hard, but these two bits of information sort of clicked for me. You may want to look into scaling back some of that cardio. Just by doing that and making zero other adjustments, I have a hunch you might start to see your weight go up and your legs recover better. Just a thought!!

Thanks again brother. Ur very helpful and alway have great advice. I was playing with the same idea on cardio. Dropping to 4 days a week on training days when my calories are much higher. Also giving my body a rest after training the night before. Down side is I think it helps with insulin sensitivity and I like how it makes me fell in the morning but I like gains much more[emoji123]. Another thing I haven't done yet is add carbs first thing in the morning. I put them off until my second meal taking advantage of some fat burning. I train at night although I get in 270-300 carbs pre/intra/and post including my meal/ casein shake

(03-23-2017, 10:52 PM)732mikee Wrote: I was thinking the same as Altamir, the cardio might be killing it for you in terms of the scale going up and your legs recovering. Try scaling it back and see what happens. How long are you doing cardio for?

20 minutes on 10% incline @ 2.5 mph

I will have to say in such a short time on this program it has made noticeable changes In the way I look. Especially legs. I can see how people say after switching to ft the only regret is they did do it sooner

Glad to be of help! and awesome you are seeing the results already. Smile

I'm with you in I think the cardio helps with all of those things you listed above. But as you said, sometimes you need to pick what direction you want to go in. Can't ride the middle line forever. As an additional comment on insulin sensitivity. I have found the cruises help tremendously with this if you can stick to your diet. The last part of your cruise, the 4 days or so of zero training, stick with your off day meals. The prolonged period of reduced carbs SHOULD really help your insulin sensitivity. I'm not sure if this was an intent of the program or not, but it helps after 4 to 6 weeks of pushing food up.

Best of luck and let us know how your adjustments turn out.
Powerof2,

I'm not sure really where to start with you post, as the information and questions are far too jumbled for me to make sense of. (See below.)

(03-23-2017, 10:07 PM)Powerof2 Wrote: After digging into the protein consumption debate I decided to spend my night gathering information on exactly what takes place with in the body with the excess. Most of this I have read or watched videos ect on but never put it all together at one time. So the body can convert around 20g of protein into muscle a day if ur very luck?

This would be extraordinary and equate to ~35lb of muscle mass in a year (off the top of my head).

Quote:> And maybe use another 50g give or take for muscle sparing?

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Quote:So what happened to the rest.

Protein no used for replacement of protein broken down or added to tissues (e.g., growing muscle) is stripped of it's nitrogen, used for gluconeogenesis (and oxidized), or or oxidized to acetyl-CoA, either used then as fuel or (much less likely) contributes it's carbon chains to fatty acids in the triglycerides stored in fat cells.

Quote:From what I can see it is turned into fuel ( carbohydrates i.e. A longe way about it) so why not give it what it is going to do any way.

This non-sensical to me.

Quote: I'm not saying consume 70g of protein a day. ( bare in mind I'm thinking actual meat protein and not sources from grains nuts ect) 400-500 like I do is just a waste. Further backing up digestion. So if one is try to eat 5000 calories a day and is trying to keep his fats down how would this look diet wise? 605 carbs 55%- protein 330 30% ( just going of fitness app that adds all protein. I have found u can drop 50+ for other sources other than meat coming to around 270 ish) and fat about 70 15%. What do u guys think especially scott

This just kind of comes across as gibberish to me. (I don't know what "drop 50+ for other sources..." means, for instance.)

If you have the FT book, I actually have an EXAMPLE 5000kcal / day diet there.

-S

[/quote]
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-24-2017, 02:09 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Powerof2,

I'm not sure really where to start with you post, as the information and questions are far too jumbled for me to make sense of. (See below.)

This would be extraordinary and equate to ~35lb of muscle mass in a year (off the top of my head).

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Protein no used for replacement of protein broken down or added to tissues (e.g., growing muscle) is stripped of it's nitrogen, used for gluconeogenesis (and oxidized), or or oxidized to acetyl-CoA, either used then as fuel or (much less likely) contributes it's carbon chains to fatty acids in the triglycerides stored in fat cells.

This non-sensical to me.

This just kind of comes across as gibberish to me. (I don't know what "drop 50+ for other sources..." means, for instance.)

If you have the FT book, I actually have an EXAMPLE 5000kcal / day diet there.

-S

[/quote]

Yes after looking at it. It definitely seems that most of it came out different than the way I was thinking it did. My bad man. I was thinking of some who somehow puts on 50+ pounds in 5 years.
I do have the book. I'll follow the macros lined out and stop over complicating things.

(03-23-2017, 08:40 AM)Powerof2 Wrote: Wish I could post on everything. But for some reason it say I'm not authorized to post on this topic. I have Hard time giving in to the idea of cutting my protein down. I usually fall around 2+ hrs per lb. I see a lot of knowledgeable guys saying u can go much lower than I do. One thing I like protein. The other I'm worried I won't have enough to grow? Trying to put the hole ft training in place. I change my diet. Training days I eat 4500 calories protein 450 ish/ cabs 525 ish and fat around 75. And rest days. I drop calories down to 3500 pro/110 carbs/ fats 110. So far may weight isn't moving. I do cardio 7x a week(incline 10% at 2.5 mph so not hard) first thing in the morning. Do I increase training day calories or rest days? Oh body weight 208 @ 8% bf. yes this is a true body fat not what I think I am. Thanks for input.

There are going to be numerous variables which dictate how much protein you should consume. If you are "bulking" and feel it difficult to get all the food in then you would likely benefit from reducing protein slightly (if you are consuming as much as you say), and then increasing carbohydrates instead to help with getting food down. I personally consume 350g of protein a day at 200lb of bodyweight because I like the satiety from it, but if I was not enjoying eating that amount while in a surplus then I would pull 50-75g of protein and replace with 50-75g of carbohydrates. Also if high amounts of protein negatively impact your digestion then you may benefit from lowering protein. Higher protein intakes may increase caloric expenditure due to amino acids being converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis which is a process that requires energy. Although the relevance of this extra energy expenditure is probably minimal. With your weight not increasing you could pull or reduce cardio, or if you are set against it then increase food? Like was stated above, your legs may appear fuller and recover more efficiently from sessions with less cardio. With regards to which days you should increase calories (I'm assuming you won't be reducing cardio), I would personally look at where I feel hungriest and add calories there. If there is no particular meal you want to add calories to then I would add further carbs to my postworkout meal(s).

Sorry reposted as realised my paragraph joined the quote.

There are going to be numerous variables which dictate how much protein you should consume. If you are "bulking" and feel it difficult to get all the food in then you would likely benefit from reducing protein slightly (if you are consuming as much as you say), and then increasing carbohydrates instead to help with getting food down. I personally consume 350g of protein a day at 200lb of bodyweight because I like the satiety from it, but if I was not enjoying eating that amount while in a surplus then I would pull 50-75g of protein and replace with 50-75g of carbohydrates. Also if high amounts of protein negatively impact your digestion then you may benefit from lowering protein. Higher protein intakes may increase caloric expenditure due to amino acids being converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis which is a process that requires energy. Although the relevance of this extra energy expenditure is probably minimal. With your weight not increasing you could pull or reduce cardio, or if you are set against it then increase food? Like was stated above, your legs may appear fuller and recover more efficiently from sessions with less cardio. With regards to which days you should increase calories (I'm assuming you won't be reducing cardio), I would personally look at where I feel hungriest and add calories there. If there is no particular meal you want to add calories to then I would add further carbs to my postworkout meal(s).