Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC as an introduction to FT
Hey everybody,
New here on the boards and also just recently began studying up on FT.
What are your thoughts on using DC training as sort of an introduction to the even more advanced training techniques and setups of FT?
Especially for someone not used to using much more than straight sets/super sets?
Would it possibly be a smart way to build a base with, and then after a few months/longer advancing into FT?

Thanks for any and all input!
(07-22-2017, 05:44 PM)Joni Wrote: Hey everybody,
New here on the boards and also just recently began studying up on FT.
What are your thoughts on using DC training as sort of an introduction to the even more advanced training techniques and setups of FT?
Especially for someone not used to using much more than straight sets/super sets?
Would it possibly be a smart way to build a base with, and then after a few months/longer advancing into FT?

Thanks for any and all input!

Hey Joni!

Yes, you could give that a go, but he "prerequisites" for both training programs are essentially the same: That you know how to train hard and are decently adept at exercise selection and auto regulation to suit your physique / structure and recovery abilities.

A PL'er who's been at it for 10yr and knows his body well (how to periodize, how to work around aches n' pains, how to adjust diet to ensure gains, etc.) would be better suited for FT than someone who's been doing cluster sets with mediocre effort over the course of his / her first couple years of training and doesn't really have a handle on when to deload / take breaks or how to choose exercises that work for him / her.

Knowing more of your training background could help here. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
First of all, your dedication towards this forum, your customers and silly question askers is unparalleled from any forum I've ever visited. Wildly appreciated!!
A little about my background:
30 y.o next week, training since 16 y.o, avid reader of t-nation from that age (blessing and curse, in a way), had a strong progressive start, untill around the age of getting married around 20y.o, and thus kinda staying still, hopping from program to program, brainwashed via tnation etc..
Always afraid of pushing it to anything near failure.

#1 reason for me why DC training and from there FT caught my eye is, I fucking need to learn intensity. And stop pussying around.

My reasoning for DC before FT is that it's simpler, 3 days, and no doubt something me and a whole lot of ppl need, namely intensity.

Not sure if all of this makes sense. I hope it does and I'm not the only one lost in the sea of ..bullshit?
(07-23-2017, 12:55 AM)Joni Wrote: First of all, your dedication towards this forum, your customers and silly question askers is unparalleled from any forum I've ever visited. Wildly appreciated!!

Now - THAT has made my day, and I've had a pretty dang good day, all in all!!!

Quote:A little about my background:
30 y.o next week, training since 16 y.o, avid reader of t-nation from that age (blessing and curse, in a way), had a strong progressive start, untill around the age of getting married around 20y.o, and thus kinda staying still, hopping from program to program, brainwashed via tnation etc..
Always afraid of pushing it to anything near failure.

Happy Birthday!!!

Well, T-nation follows the old formula of the muscle mags that came before it - just keep barraging folks with idea after idea, but without a universal framework upon which to frame ideas, so they never really figure anything out for themselves. This creates a continual need for folks to keep coming back to the forum, to replace ideas that didn't work or were kind of lost in the sea, with new ideas.

Also, there will be a sucker born every minute, so to speak.

This is not to say that theres' not some good info. there, but there's no organization of ideas - no curriculum in place. It would be like trying to learn world history by randomly sampling passages of a books strewn throughout a library, written from different perspectives, some of which are BS / fictional and others very well substantiated. MANY folks would be very lost.

Quote:#1 reason for me why DC training and from there FT caught my eye is, I fucking need to learn intensity. And stop pussying around.

My reasoning for DC before FT is that it's simpler, 3 days, and no doubt something me and a whole lot of ppl need, namely intensity.

These are good reasons!!! DC is a PHENOMENAL program. If you're leaning there - I say DO IT!

As far as intensity, I'd seek out someone who trains harder that you a/o someone who is highly competitive. You want someone who will be on your ass, grinding reps where might not and pushing you to do the same.

Or maybe someone to "make you his / her bitch" in the gym. A good training partner can be a great asset.

Also, setting up your mindset is very important here - I'd could write a TON on this, but figuring out how to tap into whatever motivates you is key here. This could be anything a/o a combination of things including (but far from limited to) watching videos before training at the gym, figuring out a cognitive strategy for dealing with pain (welcome it, block it or grind through it), visualization strategies, using the log book (!!!), finding the right gym / environment, setting goals / timelines, immediate reward, spousal support (could be VERY big for you, it sounds), removing barriers to action (google that), doing a pro's n' con's inventory, making a buddy contract to seal all the above, etc.

Quote:Not sure if all of this makes sense. I hope it does and I'm not the only one lost in the sea of ..bullshit?

I was lost there for years. That's very much why I'm here now - to pull people out and onto the dry land - onto the continent of gains we can call it - as best I can. Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thank you for the very detailed answer!
As far as finding a training partner, I would love to, unfortunately I'm limited to training early in the a.m. due to family (two very young kids), which I'm perfectly fine with, almost prefer to because of less/no crowd and my mentality is to start with the hard part and then just breeze. /Edit last half was deleted for some reason/

As for the other points, I do take great value in them. And I agree about tnation, it isn't the worst place to get started, but it does suck you in and being too long there will mess with your head so to speak!

Edit 2.0
(07-23-2017, 03:35 PM)Joni Wrote: Thank you for the very detailed answer!
As far as finding a training partner, I would love to, unfortunately I'm limited to training early in the a.m. due to family (two very young kids), which I'm perfectly fine with, almost prefer to because of less/no crowd and my mentality is to start with the hard part and then just breeze. /Edit last half was deleted for some reason/

As for the other points, I do take great value in them. And I agree about tnation, it isn't the worst place to get started, but it does suck you in and being too long there will mess with your head so to speak!

Edit 2.0

You're welcome!

I trained at the butt-crack of dawn for a LONG time. Ironically, a good chunk of that was training with Dave Henry, so don't give up on finding a good partner.

Yes, there are definitely some good writers and articles over on T-nation. Gosh, I know a few of those folks. John M, Ben Bruno, Paul Carter, John Rusin et al.

If they were to simply organize their articles into "read first" or Key principles or something, it would be so helpful for folks starting out. Smile

-S

-Scott

Case in point: This just came across my email from T-Nation:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to...ose-170723

"How to look jacked in 3 weeks."

<sigh>

-S
-Scott

(07-24-2017, 08:44 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Case in point: This just came across my email from T-Nation:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to...ose-170723

"How to look jacked in 3 weeks."

<sigh>

-S

Oh damn! Now that's fast! Gonna have to trust my instinct and run with it! Haa..haa..
(07-24-2017, 05:42 PM)Joni Wrote: Oh damn! Now that's fast! Gonna have to trust my instinct and run with it! Haa..haa..

We'll hate to see you go, but hopefully, in a few weeks after you've reached your long term goals, you'll stop in now and again, at least to gloat for a bit...

Wink

-S
-Scott