Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to approach program after layoff?
Hey guys,

Been completely out of gym for 4 months. Lost nearly 20 pounds, gained some typical dad bod fat from eating pretty shitty.

Was training for about 10 years straight from the age of 15. Was probably going to use Fortitude Training or Big Beyond Belief as my program, but I'd like to do a little recomp.

Anabolic diet is my favorite way to eat, would you guys go straight into a deficit or eat around maitenance in my situation?

Not sure if the 4 months of eating like poo has crushed insulin sensitivity or not.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
(10-05-2017, 06:57 AM)Wes Bouillion Wrote: Hey guys,

Been completely out of gym for 4 months. Lost nearly 20 pounds, gained some typical dad bod fat from eating pretty shitty.

Was training for about 10 years straight from the age of 15. Was probably going to use Fortitude Training or Big Beyond Belief as my program, but I'd like to do a little recomp.

Anabolic diet is my favorite way to eat, would you guys go straight into a deficit or eat around maitenance in my situation?

Not sure if the 4 months of eating like poo has crushed insulin sensitivity or not.

Thanks

Depends, you in a rush to lean back out or not? I would probably start back at maintenance first to see how that works out for you. The energy demands are very high with this workout. Lots of EPOC on every training day. So you may find yourself leaning out decently quick while eating at what you assumed would be maintenance.

Insulin Sensitivity should jump up pretty quick once training, and if following the Fortitude Training style of eating you won't really be having carbs at any other time than the peri-workout window. Well, unless you workout late at night and need carbs first thing to finish replenishing your glycogen. So insulin sensitivity "shouldn't" be too much of an issue there. Between the meal timing and Glut4 activation from resistance training your insulin sensitivity should be up to par pretty quickly if it isn't already.

If in a big hurry to lean back up then I think you already know your answer. Go in with an intentional deficit until you reach your composition goal then start eating for gains at that point.
I'll add, how the heck to do you know what calories are maintenance / deficient / gain? You are putting the cart in front of the horse. Step one is get back into the gym and just focus on eating correctly to support your training. Focus on the basics first and establish all the habits you know you should be doing. After that and you are back in your groove, then worry about where you want to go. But Kleen has it right, start at maintenance, move slow. you should be able to bounce back pretty quick. Good luck. Smile
(10-05-2017, 09:35 PM)Altamir Wrote: I'll add, how the heck to do you know what calories are maintenance / deficient / gain? You are putting the cart in front of the horse. Step one is get back into the gym and just focus on eating correctly to support your training. Focus on the basics first and establish all the habits you know you should be doing. After that and you are back in your groove, then worry about where you want to go. But Kleen has it right, start at maintenance, move slow. you should be able to bounce back pretty quick. Good luck. Smile
Well it would be a rough estimate from previous numbers I guess haha

Wes,

I think you were implying this question in posting this thread, but I would perhaps start back to training with a simple full body workout 3x / week, maybe with one work set for each muscle group. Don't overdo it as you'll get plenty of stimulus being detrained as you are now.

Build up some work capacity and things will fall into place pretty quickly, I'd bet. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-06-2017, 01:59 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Wes,

I think you were implying this question in posting this thread, but I would perhaps start back to training with a simple full body workout 3x / week, maybe with one work set for each muscle group. Don't overdo it as you'll get plenty of stimulus being detrained as you are now.

Build up some work capacity and things will fall into place pretty quickly, I'd bet. Smile

-S
That's what I was thinking. Something similar to the 3 day FT split but a little less intense to start. After reading through FT again last night I think I will just eat carbs in the peri workout period and have a very large deficit on the days off with just protein and fat as I am not very hungry on days I don't workout.

Oh okay, I see what you meant there. I am starting out too and originally thought I should just do 3 full body MR workouts a week. Then I decided to just start the program and build up work capacity while reintroducing myself to the movements I would be using. I have been working into it them on Tier 1. My first attempt at Lower Body Load had me hurling mid Pump sets for pper body. My 2nd lower body load I was able to complete my Pump work without puking but it was pretty brutal, and I spent 15 minutes in front of a fan trying not to die!

Looking back I feel that I definitely would have had a better transition if I had gone to the 3 MR workouts a week like I originally thought of doing. Perhaps even now on the 2nd week in I should consider the full body 3 times a week either one set, or the MRs like I would in an Intensive Cruise. Allow myself to build up work capacity so I can execute the workouts as they should be without excessive fatigue setting in like it is right now.

Scott, I was going to ask if you thought I should maybe try increasing work capacity in the same manor. Then while framing my question, I kind of answered it on my own. If I feel like my work capacity is hindering my ability to perform the program as it should be, then I should focus on increasing work capacity first.
(10-06-2017, 06:11 AM)Kleen Wrote: Oh okay, I see what you meant there. I am starting out too and originally thought I should just do 3 full body MR workouts a week. Then I decided to just start the program and build up work capacity while reintroducing myself to the movements I would be using. I have been working into it them on Tier 1. My first attempt at Lower Body Load had me hurling mid Pump sets for pper body. My 2nd lower body load I was able to complete my Pump work without puking but it was pretty brutal, and I spent 15 minutes in front of a fan trying not to die!

Looking back I feel that I definitely would have had a better transition if I had gone to the 3 MR workouts a week like I originally thought of doing. Perhaps even now on the 2nd week in I should consider the full body 3 times a week either one set, or the MRs like I would in an Intensive Cruise. Allow myself to build up work capacity so I can execute the workouts as they should be without excessive fatigue setting in like it is right now.

Scott, I was going to ask if you thought I should maybe try increasing work capacity in the same manor. Then while framing my question, I kind of answered it on my own. If I feel like my work capacity is hindering my ability to perform the program as it should be, then I should focus on increasing work capacity first.

Well, I think you've answered your own question here.

The good thing I'm reading is you know HOW to train hard - your body just needs to get used to doing so. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Yes, I definitely know how to train hard, sometimes too hard. Between years of HIT type training, and spending about 18 months with DC I definitely have that ability and drive to dig deep and get the most out of a set. I love the intensity, I just need to build up my conditioning, and from what I can tell the MR's are a nice way to do so. Plus when getting back in the variety of them makes training pretty fun. I am actually pretty excited about going back into them for a bit just for the variety in the workout, you can just make it into a really fun work hard play hard scenario.
(10-07-2017, 04:48 AM)Kleen Wrote: Yes, I definitely know how to train hard, sometimes too hard. Between years of HIT type training, and spending about 18 months with DC I definitely have that ability and drive to dig deep and get the most out of a set. I love the intensity, I just need to build up my conditioning, and from what I can tell the MR's are a nice way to do so. Plus when getting back in the variety of them makes training pretty fun. I am actually pretty excited about going back into them for a bit just for the variety in the workout, you can just make it into a really fun work hard play hard scenario.

Yes, indeed! That's what I wanted to work into the program, in part b/c when you're having fun, it makes it "easier" to train hard. Smile

-S
-Scott