Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerlifting modification to FT
Dr. Scott,

Before starting FT I was doing a powerlifting regimen, and having great results training my CNS thereby gaining immense strength. I decided to start FT just to balance my body out and ease the burden on my CNS. Then after reading your book I realized that I love FT and the philosophy behind it. So I've been doing it and enjoying the results, but there are a couple snags that I have noticed here in the past 2-3 weeks:
My strength has not been progressing quite the way I'd like it to. From what I've gathered, just by listening to my body, this is mostly due to the absence of the thorough warm-ups I would do while powerlifting. Usually I would do 2-3 warm-up sets for compound lifts such as the bench, squat, and dead. I don't know if this is because my CNS needed a warm-up or, more likely, my joints needed to be eased in. I play rugby and not only has that been a bit rough on my joints (I go out of my way to take care of them, I promise), but when we are in the peak of the season it can also be very painful to just jump straight into a 405lb squat for 8 reps. So there are some leg load days where I am just not squatting or benching as much as I could due to pain in my joints.
So I guess what I am asking is if there might be a thorough warm-up routine that you might recommend without it being way too much volume? Also do you think the joint pain may be affecting my CNS and that might be the reason I need the warm-ups? Those are the only hypotheses that my less educated mind could come up with, and I'd love to hear your take on it.
I’ll also add that I was thinking about adjusting my load days in such a way that I the first compound set I will add 1 light and 1 moderately light set of about 15-8 reps to most body parts before the first compound movement set.
E.g:
Thigh
1x15 @35% 1RM immediately followed by
1x8-10 @60-70% 1RM
45-60 second rest

{then at this point you would jump into your zig zag}
Thigh 1x6-8 80%+
Quad
Thigh 1x4-6 80%+
Ham
Thigh 1xfailure-4 85-95%+

What are you thoughts on this? Is it too much volume? Does it go against your philosophy in any way?

Thank you for your consideration!
Hey Bud!

This is a simple one: IMO, one should warm up in whatever way is needed to be prepared for the working sets to follow.

3 sets warm-up would be a bare minimum for me for a squatting movement. If using a plate loaded machine, it might be 4-5 sets. (I also stretch lightly for the muscle groups to trained beforehand. )

The only caveat really IMO, is that you not do so much (stretching or warm-up sets x reps) that you reduce performance during the working sets (the actual Loading Set, MRs, or Pump Sets). The purpose of the warm-up is preparation to improve performance thereafter. However, if you need to warm-up to the point that there is some fatigue, to be safe and prevent wrecking your joints, then so be it. Longevity is the name of the game for most of us. Smile

------------

Of course the Rugby isn't helping, here, either joint wise or as far as optimizing recovery from the weight training, but that's an entirely different topic.

(Jumping right into a 405lb set of squat, sans warm-up, isn't a great idea at all... Sad It's amazing that you can or would do that actually, IMO.)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks Doc!!!

I knew you'd help me out! I'm glad I wasn't too far off! You're the best! Sort of fan-boying out right now, sorry. biggrin

But yeah man, I'll let ya know if this helps out with the strength gains. Me and the other guy at my gym that bought FT were wondering about the warm-up protocol in general. Thanks for clearing that all up!

Keep rockin!
(10-25-2017, 02:11 AM)RugbyDan7 Wrote: Thanks Doc!!!

I knew you'd help me out! I'm glad I wasn't too far off! You're the best! Sort of fan-boying out right now, sorry. biggrin

But yeah man, I'll let ya know if this helps out with the strength gains. Me and the other guy at my gym that bought FT were wondering about the warm-up protocol in general. Thanks for clearing that all up!

Keep rockin!

Always!!!

Yes, if you just search for warm-up here you'll find I've gone over it a few times, especially in the context of zig-zagging. Smile

We'll all in this together, Bud - I'm honored to have so many folks listening to the things I like to share. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
If you don't mind another suggestion I found to help me with that situation was doing a Generalized warm up for 10 minutes of LISS, Stretching and rolling. Just go get the blood flowing into all of my body and connective tissues then do Singles in a potentiating type set up.

If working to 405x8 you might do something like this.
All reps should be as explosive as possible to really activate the CNS!!! 135x1-5 very explosively, 225x1, 315x1 405x1, 455x1, and then drop down to 405 for your work set. Obviously that is only once you have warmed up your body thoroughly. That way you only need to warm up the CNS and these explosive potentiating sets amp your CNS up for the lift without wearing you down and obviously you do not need as much rest between the singles so that phase of the warm up will not take long. I think I average about 60 seconds between sets on the potentiating warm ups, except maybe the last one or two will go a little longer if needed to avoid any fatigue setting in before the work set.