Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(03-21-2018, 09:29 PM)Altamir Wrote: No issue doing chest first on loading (or on MR days). I have a weak chest compared to my back, so I have shuffled that forward on both days. (with Scott's approval). So my layout goes chest, shoulders, then back. I found some strength drop off on back, but I found more of a strength benefit putting chest and shoulders first. I however do not disagree with your thinking of keeping it this way until you stall, and then switching the order to breath new lift into your lifts. Smile

(03-22-2018, 12:03 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: As Altamir noted, no problem with either of those approaches. Very much makes sense to prioritize exercises for weak muscle groups in this way. Smile

(On a related topic, you might like this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBFWy3e...e=youtu.be )

-S

Thanks for the responses guys...I think for this run I will stick with the layout as is and beat the logbook on all my movements as the second body part trained in the workout. I think it will help me as far as overall strength goes and then with my next blast I will put chest first. I wouldn't call it a weak point at all for me strength wise, just that strength drops pretty good after doing heavy back. Its great with a program like this that you can make adjustments based on individual needs.

(03-22-2018, 02:26 AM)d2r2ddd Wrote: Going thru this thread and suddenly felt heavy hearted for the late Mentalflex aka AntomAnt.... R.I.P. iron bro....

I think Kris would be very happy to know that the thread he started here is running strong. (I miss him a good bit, too - still seems like I should be hearing from him any day now... Sad )

(Scroll down here to see a testimonial Kris wrote for me years ago... Smile Fortitude Training Testimonials - Integrative Bodybuilding - Home of Fortitude Training )

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hi Scott, in the back annihilation video with competitive breed, the bent over row u did was close to upright, is there a reason to it?

I'm Recovering fm a hernia ops, now looking for SAFE back thickness exercises to add into loading & MR days.
(04-11-2018, 01:21 PM)d2r2ddd Wrote: Hi Scott, in the back annihilation video with competitive breed, the bent over row u did was close to upright, is there a reason to it?

I'm Recovering fm a hernia ops, now looking for SAFE back thickness exercises to add into loading & MR days.

That's how I've always felt BO rows best in my back when simply doing the exercise in a way that instinctively feels right.

(I do do Pendlay rows now n' again, too, which feel good and the weight MUCH less, of course.)

I'm also someone who benefits from rack deads and also feel a good connection with my lat musculature relatively easily. (I suspect some of this might have to be with being a swimmer growing up...)

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hi Scott, a lot of people from the so called "science based" dont recommend rotate exercises very often. Why do you recommend a lot of rotation and variety, It wont be beneficial to keep the same exercise for longer periods to see progress?

Thanks Smile
(04-12-2018, 06:22 AM)mbntt Wrote: Hi Scott, a lot of people from the so called "science based" dont recommend rotate exercises very often. Why do you recommend a lot of rotation and variety, It wont be beneficial to keep the same exercise for longer periods to see progress?

Thanks Smile

I can't really address these concerns (seriously), as I don't know who these people are and in what context they're speaking.

Two things come to mind: Powerlifting has very different goals than bodybuilding.

"Variety" is a basic core training principle. In this article, Antonio notes a multitude a reasons that for optimizing muscle hypertrophy (and potentially even changing a muscle's "shape" - which occurs of course to some degree whenever it grows), variety is important:

1. Antonio J. Nonuniform Response of Skeletal Muscle to Heavy Resistance Training: Can Bodybuilders Induce Regional Muscle Hypertrophy? The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 14: 102-113, 2000. http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Fullte...vy.18.aspx

Skeletal muscle is a heterogeneous tissue that exhibits numerous inter-and intramuscular differences (i.e., architecture, fiber composition, and muscle function). An individual muscle cannot be simplistically described as a compilation of muscle fibers that span from origin to insertion. In fact, there are unique differences within a single muscle and within single muscle fibers with respect to fiber size and protein composition. Electromyographic data indicate that there is selective recruitment of different regions of a muscle that can be altered, depending on the type of exercise performed. Longitudinal resistance-training studies also demonstrate that individual muscles as well as groups of synergist muscles adapt in a regional-specific manner. The author speculates that no single exercise can maximize the hypertrophic response of all regions of a particular muscle. Thus, for maximal hypertrophy of an entire muscle, athletes (particularly bodybuilders) are justified in incorporating various exercises that purportedly stimulate growth in a regional-specific manner. © 2000 National Strength and Conditioning Association

-S
-Scott

Hey Scott,

Any thoughts on fasting for 1-3 days right before starting a new blast?

John Meadows has talked about fasting recently in an interview and it's regeneration effects for our digestive system and appetite.

There's also been a recent study linking 72 hr fasting to regenerating the immune system which is kind of cool.

I'm kind of anal about maintaining muscle during cruises (which is absurd I know) so end up eating more anyway...[emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
(04-17-2018, 11:21 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Hey Scott,

Any thoughts on fasting for 1-3 days right before starting a new blast?

John Meadows has talked about fasting recently in an interview and it's regeneration effects for our digestive system and appetite.

There's also been a recent study linking 72 hr fasting to regenerating the immune system which is kind of cool.

I'm kind of anal about maintaining muscle during cruises (which is absurd I know) so end up eating more anyway...[emoji846]

LOL!!!

<SARCASM ON>

Funny you mention being anal, as I'm kind of anal about folks posting the actual studies they refer to, as well as not taking time to provide information i've been told will probably be disregarded.

<SARCASM OFF>

Wink biggrinErr

Seriously, though, let's narrow down what you're asking about here.

Are you taking 1 day of fasting or three?

What benefits to the GI and will that matter for *you*.

How do you think your first day of training will be be if you have fasted for 72 hr *right* before a blast?

-S
-Scott

(04-17-2018, 11:40 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: LOL!!!

<SARCASM ON>

Funny you mention being anal, as I'm kind of anal about folks posting the actual studies they refer to, as well as not taking time to provide information i've been told will probably be disregarded.

<SARCASM OFF>

Wink biggrinErr

Seriously, though, let's narrow down what you're asking about here.

Are you taking 1 day of fasting or three?

What benefits to the GI and will that matter for *you*.

How do you think your first day of training will be be if you have fasted for 72 hr *right* before a blast?

-S

Hey Scott,

Sorry for the late reply!

First off! I expect you to know telepathically what my question means without me providing any context! You're Scott Stevenson for god's sake!

Smile

I phrased this question badly, and provided not much context.

This is the study I was referring to:

Study Finds that Fasting for 72 Hours Can Regenerate the Entire Immune System – Awareness Act

From a health standpoint it stands pretty neat; but a crucial thing you mentioned is; how would my performance in the gym be after 3 days of not eating? How long would it take me to refeed back up properly?

My biggest problem like many in this endeavor is: I'm simply not a big eater. I can train myself to rhabdo no problem Smile ...one of the reasons I love FT. But it's the constant influx of calories, and trying to push the bw to establish set points that is extremely challenging, I would probably eat 2 meals a day if I didn't do this.

This is why I'm always trying to find means of improving digestion, and make myself hungrier; whether it's 10 minute walks, 10 hours between my last meal and first meal on non-training day like Jordan Peters has talked about in one of his videos.
(04-24-2018, 10:55 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Hey Scott,

Sorry for the late reply!

First off! I expect you to know telepathically what my question means without me providing any context! You're Scott Stevenson for god's sake!

Smile

I phrased this question badly, and provided not much context.

This is the study I was referring to:

Study Finds that Fasting for 72 Hours Can Regenerate the Entire Immune System – Awareness Act

That's still not a study. It's a new story that's poorly referenced and copied / reposted widely.

As far as I can tell, this is the original study that was published:

http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fullt...16)00019-9

(My thoughts on fasting for 1-3 days at the beginning of a blast are still the same and found in [your] answers to the question about how this would impact training... Smile )

Quote:From a health standpoint it stands pretty neat; but a crucial thing you mentioned is; how would my performance in the gym be after 3 days of not eating? How long would it take me to refeed back up properly?

And?....

Quote:My biggest problem like many in this endeavor is: I'm simply not a big eater. I can train myself to rhabdo no problem Smile ...one of the reasons I love FT. But it's the constant influx of calories, and trying to push the bw to establish set points that is extremely challenging, I would probably eat 2 meals a day if I didn't do this.

This is why I'm always trying to find means of improving digestion, and make myself hungrier; whether it's 10 minute walks, 10 hours between my last meal and first meal on non-training day like Jordan Peters has talked about in one of his videos.

I still don't see how this relates directly to this news story / study.

Are you looking for a reason to fast that will offset / justify your concern with muscle loss?

-Scott

P.S. I'm hoping of course you're just joking about loving FT and your ability to train yourself "into rhabdo." Sad I get the sense here you're deflecting with humor a bit... Smile
-Scott