Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training around a ruptured disc
I'm going through some back issues right now. I had a MRI last week and it turns out that I have degenerated disc disease, my L5 S1 is practically gone as well as a couple of more that's not in great shape. But right now that's not my pain, I have a rupture disc on the L3. I will be getting a epidural Monday, and I hope that takes care of the intense pain in my left leg right now.

I talked to the orthopedic Dr and I told her that I have no plans on ever stopping training, and she agrees that its probably what has kept me from having more back issues up to this point. I'm 47 and I have been training off and on for 30 years, with the last 7 years being non stop other than deloads. And I will have my back go out on me for a few days maybe once a year if not longer than that. But I have never hurt like this.

My main question is what advice would you give to training abs. I'll continue training with leverage squats, hip belt squats, leg press, and smith squats and will do rack deads and trap bar deads which will all help strengthen my core, but all the reading I'm doing says basically all crunches sit ups and leg raises are bad for the spine. I don't won't to neglect my abs but I sure don't want to doing any harm to my back.

Scott have you got some ideas for training abs, or any other advice you can give?

(03-03-2019, 01:25 PM)flairsjobber Wrote: I'm going through some back issues right now. I had a MRI last week and it turns out that I have degenerated disc disease, my L5 S1 is practically gone as well as a couple of more that's not in great shape. But right now that's not my pain, I have a rupture disc on the L3. I will be getting a epidural Monday, and I hope that takes care of the intense pain in my left leg right now.

I talked to the orthopedic Dr and I told her that I have no plans on ever stopping training, and she agrees that its probably what has kept me from having more back issues up to this point. I'm 47 and I have been training off and on for 30 years, with the last 7 years being non stop other than deloads. And I will have my back go out on me for a few days maybe once a year if not longer than that. But I have never hurt like this.

My main question is what advice would you give to training abs. I'll continue training with leverage squats, hip belt squats, leg press, and smith squats and will do rack deads and trap bar deads which will all help strengthen my core, but all the reading I'm doing says basically all crunches sit ups and leg raises are bad for the spine. I don't won't to neglect my abs but I sure don't want to doing any harm to my back.

Scott have you got some ideas for training abs, or any other advice you can give?

What reading are you doing that suggests that abdominal training is bad for the spine?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/35751...ated-disk/

https://northamericanspine.com/blog/core...ted-discs/

That's just a couple of sites that mention avoid crunches and leg raises with ruptured disc. There are more that I've come across. I'm not saying I completely agree with the idea, I actually was hoping you disagree with the notion.

The degenerative disc has obviously been there for a while and I've been training abs without any issues. But this ruptured disc is a whole different animal it seems. The shot they will give me at best will shrink the area down some and hopefully get it off the nerve. But the issue is still present, so reading anything that says it has a negative impact on the situation just brought about concern.

I would love to hear that in your opinion that normal ab training is not harmful but beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(03-03-2019, 01:25 PM)flairsjobber Wrote: <SNIP>

(03-04-2019, 01:31 AM)flairsjobber Wrote: https://www.livestrong.com/article/35751...ated-disk/

https://northamericanspine.com/blog/core...ted-discs/

That's just a couple of sites that mention avoid crunches and leg raises with ruptured disc. There are more that I've come across. I'm not saying I completely agree with the idea, I actually was hoping you disagree with the notion.

The degenerative disc has obviously been there for a while and I've been training abs without any issues. But this ruptured disc is a whole different animal it seems. The shot they will give me at best will shrink the area down some and hopefully get it off the nerve. But the issue is still present, so reading anything that says it has a negative impact on the situation just brought about concern.

I would love to hear that in your opinion that normal ab training is not harmful but beneficial.

The above highlighted are different statements, my man. "Bad for the spine" is not equivalent to what might be contraindicated generally for those with a disc herniation.

IMO, you really should speak with PT who has knowledge of your specific injury, e.g, the extent and location of herniation as well as how nerve impingement.

The sources of info you're referring to aren't anything I'd trust, TBH.

Many moons ago, I helped teach a lumbar stabilization class while working at a PT clinic. That's something I'd look into, with the direction of your physician and probably via a referral to a PT. I'd not be surprised if just a single instructional session would be all you'd need (if the PT / MD decides that lumbar stab. is the way to go)...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
You might find this interesting:

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-essr/Fullt..._to.6.aspx

-S
-Scott

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it. I work at a hospital and I know the PT girls pretty good. I'm sure getting the doc to get me therapy wont be a issue. I just dont really trust their knowledge of dealing with athletes.

Reading the link seems to support the idea of not doing regular ab exercises. Ab curl and bird dogs were suggested.

(03-05-2019, 12:12 AM)flairsjobber Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it. I work at a hospital and I know the PT girls pretty good. I'm sure getting the doc to get me therapy wont be a issue. I just dont really trust their knowledge of dealing with athletes.

Reading the link seems to support the idea of not doing regular ab exercises. Ab curl and bird dogs were suggested.

You're welcome!

-S
-Scott