Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FT Tier 2 not hitting shoulders enough?
SO I am on my 3rd blast at FT and still have not got higher than Tier 2 as I find it pretty much hammers me (in a good way)

My only concern is when following a bro split, even with a lower bodyweight than most on here I always had well developed shoulders especially front & medial delts.

It may be in my head as I have been cutting lately but overall I believe they have gone backwards and I have lost a lot of the width and shape to delts that I once had.

Any suggestions?
(09-16-2016, 05:44 PM)masonator Wrote: SO I am on my 3rd blast at FT and still have not got higher than Tier 2 as I find it pretty much hammers me (in a good way)

My only concern is when following a bro split, even with a lower bodyweight than most on here I always had well developed shoulders especially front & medial delts.

It may be in my head as I have been cutting lately but overall I believe they have gone backwards and I have lost a lot of the width and shape to delts that I once had.

Any suggestions?

Masonator,

So your post / question here is "classic" in that the answer is "Not Enough Information." Smile

The title suggests you think you're not training shoulders enough. Is this true?... Are they sore ever, or perhaps sore all the time?

What exercises are you using?

Are you progressing on Loading Sets and MR's?

Are you pushing hard with your Pump sets (making them brutal)?

What stretch and stretch type are you using / doing?...

-------------

Also, what are doing that may overlap for front delts, e.g., Incine presses and OH triceps work?...

-S

P.S. I don't know that I've ever pointed this out online before - not picking on you, but the term "medial" means closer to the midline of the body. Referring to the "medial head" of the delt (or "medial" delt), one is actually referring to the lateral deltoid or the fibers of the middle head of the delt. (The lateral delt is furthest from the body's midline when standing in anatomical position.)

My best guess is that "medial" delt is a misnomer originating with confusing the term middle and medial (without knowing what medial means anatomically).
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-17-2016, 12:01 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Masonator,

So your post / question here is "classic" in that the answer is "Not Enough Information." Smile

The title suggests you think you're not training shoulders enough. Is this true?... Are they sore ever, or perhaps sore all the time?

What exercises are you using?

Are you progressing on Loading Sets and MR's?

Are you pushing hard with your Pump sets (making them brutal)?

What stretch and stretch type are you using / doing?...

-------------

Also, what are doing that may overlap for front delts, e.g., Incine presses and OH triceps work?...

-S

P.S. I don't know that I've ever pointed this out online before - not picking on you, but the term "medial" means closer to the midline of the body. Referring to the "medial head" of the delt (or "medial" delt), one is actually referring to the lateral deltoid or the fibers of the middle head of the delt. (The lateral delt is furthest from the body's midline when standing in anatomical position.)

My best guess is that "medial" delt is a misnomer originating with confusing the term middle and medial (without knowing what medial means anatomically).

Hi Scott!

I don't think I believe that I am training them enough as such as I know they get hit 3 times a week but I just notice they are less developed but you may be onto something with regards to overlapping as I do most of my pressing inclined so maybe front delts are being hammered.

I don't have any pain or soreness with delts unless its with stuff like lateral raises which are a killer !

With regards to progress, things are going up (reps/weight) but slowly so again, maybe they are fatigued after back and chest beforehand.

Perhaps I should move delts to first exercises in the routine?

I generally go for extreme stretching.

And finally...phewww! You are bang on..i mean the side area of delts and I "assumed" it was the medial !!! You are a smart man !
Masonator,

What exercises are you doing?

What techniques are you using for your pump sets?

Specifically what delt stretch(es) are you doing?...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-17-2016, 08:05 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Masonator,

What exercises are you doing?

What techniques are you using for your pump sets?

Specifically what delt stretch(es) are you doing?...

-S

My loading exercise (tier 2) are:

A Smith OHP (seated) Dumbell side raises (leaning)
B Lever OHP (standing) Upright cable row
C Hammer OHP Front raises

Muscle rounds i pick an OHP from above and usually use cable side raises for iso.

Pump sets, i generally dont do an overhead press movement and go for dumbell raises, large drop sets or 5s in the hole with cables and usually a rear pec fly machine or x over cables at shoulder height also for rear delts. Generally these are high rep pump sets

If i am honest i struggle with variety for stretches but generally for shoulders i grab the smith bar from behind with straight arms and lean forward to stretch delts or grab a band from behind and really stretch, adjusting slightly to increase stretch where i feel tight.

(09-19-2016, 06:02 PM)masonator Wrote: My loading exercise (tier 2) are:

A Smith OHP (seated) Dumbell side raises (leaning)
B Lever OHP (standing) Upright cable row
C Hammer OHP Front raises

I'd put your side lateral movements FIRST in these rotations. Also, I'd find another Lateral raise moment to do instead of the front raise for C. (Unilateral side-lying DB lats on an incline bench would be a great one - don't worry about different rest intervals b/c 1 side is finished before the other.)

Quote:Muscle rounds i pick an OHP from above and usually use cable side raises for iso.

Same thing here in terms of order and I'd also do DB OH presses on an upright bench - FACING the bench. This'll typically drop your weight by >50% and destroy the middle head of your delt.

Quote:Pump sets, i generally dont do an overhead press movement and go for dumbell raises, large drop sets or 5s in the hole with cables and usually a rear pec fly machine or x over cables at shoulder height also for rear delts. Generally these are high rep pump sets

OK, Drop sets are not what I'd recommend for Pump sets (as they are not continuous). I'd use the hardest Pump set technique you can.

Also, Triple Thirds with DB laterals is a great one:

"Last part of Pump set for chest... Calling these "Triple Thirds:"
Must be done on a unilateral machine of some sort.
-Use Three hold positions at either end and middle of range of motion (break ROM into "Thirds")
-Perform a triple rep at each hold position ("Triple"):
Hold one side and perform full rep with contralateral (opposite) side.
Repeat with other limb.
Then do full Bilateral Repetition.
Then move to next of three hold position and do another triple rep.
Try to get a triple rep at each of the Three ROM positions.
Mix up the order of the hold position and of the reps however you like - to suit the exercise, the machine, your preference and add variety."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFAJMjVzZfC/...e_training

Quote:If i am honest i struggle with variety for stretches but generally for shoulders i grab the smith bar from behind with straight arms and lean forward to stretch delts or grab a band from behind and really stretch, adjusting slightly to increase stretch where i feel tight.

Are you doing an Occlusion, Extreme or Flexibility stretch typically?...

Have you tried a handcuff stretch (unilateral, holding a loaded cable handle or fixed bar in your hand)?

-
-Scott

(09-19-2016, 11:15 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: OK, Drop sets are not what I'd recommend for Pump sets (as they are not continuous). I'd use the hardest Pump set technique you can.

Also, Triple Thirds with DB laterals is a great one:

"Last part of Pump set for chest... Calling these "Triple Thirds:"
Must be done on a unilateral machine of some sort.
-Use Three hold positions at either end and middle of range of motion (break ROM into "Thirds")
-Perform a triple rep at each hold position ("Triple"):
Hold one side and perform full rep with contralateral (opposite) side.
Repeat with other limb.
Then do full Bilateral Repetition.
Then move to next of three hold position and do another triple rep.
Try to get a triple rep at each of the Three ROM positions.
Mix up the order of the hold position and of the reps however you like - to suit the exercise, the machine, your preference and add variety."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFAJMjVzZfC/...e_training

Not that Scott needs any backup (I'll also use this space to thank him for another amazing lifting technique. THANKS!), but depending on the body part, this and 5's into the hole, are my favorite pump set technique. For myself personally I think the sort of methodical nature of this specific pump set technique and the doing unilateral reps allow me to focus better on the muscle.

I have yet to do them for DB lateral Raises (cable cross lateral raises sound like a lot of fun with this too). But certainly going to try them out. next blast.
(09-20-2016, 01:22 AM)Altamir Wrote: Not that Scott needs any backup (I'll also use this space to thank him for another amazing lifting technique. THANKS!), but depending on the body part, this and 5's into the hole, are my favorite pump set technique. For myself personally I think the sort of methodical nature of this specific pump set technique and the doing unilateral reps allow me to focus better on the muscle.

I have yet to do them for DB lateral Raises (cable cross lateral raises sound like a lot of fun with this too). But certainly going to try them out. next blast.

You're welcome!

-S
-Scott

Thanks Guys will change delt exercise order and replace front raises to I hit a compound overhead and an iso side exercise on load days.

I will start looking into stretches more deeply as I have to admit it is the more neglected part of the system for me.

On a plus side, hit my sixth week of a blast (number 3) and really getting it all dialled in now, intensity on MRs exercise selection etc
(09-19-2016, 11:15 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Same thing here in terms of order and I'd also do DB OH presses on an upright bench - FACING the bench. This'll typically drop your weight by >50% and destroy the middle head of your delt.

So I did these last night as an MR. VERY humbling, but VERY effective. For a little technique clarification, our benches lean back (or I guess since we are facing the bench forward) at a VERY slight angle. I found myself trying to arch back away from the bench, probably to keep myself more upright. Should I be more flat and forward, pressing slightly more behind the neck? I understand I've got to play with this a bit to find my personal sweet spot, just curious what your original intentions are.