Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FT Tier 2 not hitting shoulders enough?
(09-23-2016, 09:28 PM)Altamir Wrote: So I did these last night as an MR. VERY humbling, but VERY effective. For a little technique clarification, our benches lean back (or I guess since we are facing the bench forward) at a VERY slight angle. I found myself trying to arch back away from the bench, probably to keep myself more upright. Should I be more flat and forward, pressing slightly more behind the neck? I understand I've got to play with this a bit to find my personal sweet spot, just curious what your original intentions are.

Yes, definitely find a sweet spot here, but the idea is that the torso positioning will force you to use the middle head of the delt (and scapular retractors, external rotators, etc.) to do the motion. You generally shift the stress away from the anterior head and upper chest (which happens when folks start arching a lot to hoist more weight) and back into the delt.

I suggest setting a distance better your head (face) and the bench that is very slight (6" or less) and keeping that during the lift. Ideally you're positioned so that you feel this through the entire delt - mainly anterior and middle portions, but even the posterior head to some degree.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
I'm soooo trying this tomorrow! I'd love Scott to post a video on this sometime [emoji6]
(09-25-2016, 01:37 AM)Jen Wrote: I'm soooo trying this tomorrow! I'd love Scott to post a video on this sometime [emoji6]

I think I could do that. (I've done these soo many times, I'm surprised I've not filmed them... )

BTW, I'm pretty sure you'r eon there, Jen, but here's my Instagram for those who don't know. I'm limited by the 1:00 time limit, but I try to post educational info - new / different exercise variations as much as possible.

https://www.instagram.com/fortitude_training/

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-25-2016, 08:49 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I think I could do that. (I've done these soo many times, I'm surprised I've not filmed them... )

BTW, I'm pretty sure you'r eon there, Jen, but here's my Instagram for those who don't know. I'm limited by the 1:00 time limit, but I try to post educational info - new / different exercise variations as much as possible.

https://www.instagram.com/fortitude_training/

-S

I tried these today. I "think" I positioned correctly. For me, my chest probably kept at about the right distance away from the back pad. I used DBs about 40% lighter than normal overhead presses. Insane pump for me!! Love love love this exercise.
(09-26-2016, 08:20 AM)Jen Wrote: I tried these today. I "think" I positioned correctly. For me, my chest probably kept at about the right distance away from the back pad. I used DBs about 40% lighter than normal overhead presses. Insane pump for me!! Love love love this exercise.

Sweet!!!! Yes, that sounds like a good set-up.

For guys, keeping their nose at the same distance from the pad is a good way to maintain position. Some guys who wear a baseball cap will keep that up against the pad as a "spacer."

-S
-Scott

Thanks Scott for the additional detail, sounds like I did them pretty close (I think as the MR dragged on I started to lean away a bit further than I should have) and a little bit of tinkering will get them locked in. Thanks as always for this little gems! Extremely appreciated!
(09-26-2016, 09:29 PM)Altamir Wrote: Thanks Scott for the additional detail, sounds like I did them pretty close (I think as the MR dragged on I started to lean away a bit further than I should have) and a little bit of tinkering will get them locked in. Thanks as always for this little gems! Extremely appreciated!

Sure!

Yes, that is definitely the tendency. This is also somewhat diagnostic of tight pecs and/or weak scapular retractors (and posterior delts).

You'll also find out if you're imbalanced to some degree in the above regard, as one side will tend to weaken more quickly, often with the DB on that side wanting to come forward. (Be careful here so you don't tweak a shoulder. Smile )

-S
-Scott

(09-27-2016, 12:39 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Sure!

Yes, that is definitely the tendency. This is also somewhat diagnostic of tight pecs and/or weak scapular retractors (and posterior delts).

You'll also find out if you're imbalanced to some degree in the above regard, as one side will tend to weaken more quickly, often with the DB on that side wanting to come forward. (Be careful here so you don't tweak a shoulder. Smile )

-S

Guilty of both. (posterior delts are pretty strong). My left shoulder has is will always be weak as far as stabilization goes (OLD OLD injury, I think we went over it once before. It's improving, but will always be an issue due to the amount of bad scar tissue int here limited proper retraction), so most free weight (especially heavy) shoulder / bench lifts are a big no no if I want to keep my joints happy. Which was why this attracted me, lighter weights, but just as good (or better) an effect. I'll keep it in mind and take it slow, make sure I'm using this one strategically and controlled. Thanks and already looking forward to taking another crack at it.
(09-27-2016, 01:14 AM)Altamir Wrote: Guilty of both. (posterior delts are pretty strong). My left shoulder has is will always be weak as far as stabilization goes (OLD OLD injury, I think we went over it once before. It's improving, but will always be an issue due to the amount of bad scar tissue int here limited proper retraction), so most free weight (especially heavy) shoulder / bench lifts are a big no no if I want to keep my joints happy. Which was why this attracted me, lighter weights, but just as good (or better) an effect. I'll keep it in mind and take it slow, make sure I'm using this one strategically and controlled. Thanks and already looking forward to taking another crack at it.

This sounds like this one was made for you.

I'd suggest even adding some more pec stretching before doing this, not to lessen the effect on your scapular retractors, but to help you tax the delts and not be limited by the issues you note above. Smile

ENJOY!

(BTW, I was doing my last MR Today and thinking about pulling my shoulders back and remembered that I meant to record this exercise today... <sigh> I was hosting a bodybuilding meet up so trying to move through my workout coordinate and it just slipped my mind. SORRY, Jen!!!)

-S
-Scott

(09-26-2016, 08:20 AM)Jen Wrote: I tried these today. I "think" I positioned correctly. For me, my chest probably kept at about the right distance away from the back pad. I used DBs about 40% lighter than normal overhead presses. Insane pump for me!! Love love love this exercise.

Here you go, Jen!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLL7Qh1jQu2/

(I tried to get another camera angle, but the gym wasn't allowing it.)

-S
-Scott