Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with peri shake please
I find myself in a tough spot when it comes to nutrition. I had an injury three years ago and as a result, lost most of my muscle and gained a lot of fat. I'm 6' tall and 232 lbs, around 26% BF.
I need to build muscle to help with fat loss but I also am afraid of excess calories at this point because I certainly don't need to get fatter.
I started the three day FT a couple months ago and set my calories at 2400 in hopes of recomping myself. I don't know if this is the right strategy or not. Eight weeks in and I've regained some of my strength but not much change in anything else.
With that said, here is what I'm doing for my peri-shake:

50g HBCD
15g EAA
20g Hydrolyzed Whey
30g Whey Isolate
9g Citrulline Malate
3g Hydromax
10g Creatine Mono

I have been taking 5g of Taurine before and after my workout.
(03-07-2017, 09:32 AM)Ironpapa40 Wrote: I find myself in a tough spot when it comes to nutrition. I had an injury three years ago and as a result, lost most of my muscle and gained a lot of fat. I'm 6' tall and 232 lbs, around 26% BF.
I need to build muscle to help with fat loss but I also am afraid of excess calories at this point because I certainly don't need to get fatter.
I started the three day FT a couple months ago and set my calories at 2400 in hopes of recomping myself. I don't know if this is the right strategy or not. Eight weeks in and I've regained some of my strength but not much change in anything else.
With that said, here is what I'm doing for my peri-shake:

50g HBCD
15g EAA
20g Hydrolyzed Whey
30g Whey Isolate
9g Citrulline Malate
3g Hydromax
10g Creatine Mono

I have been taking 5g of Taurine before and after my workout.

If I were you, I would look into getting some blood work done to evaluation my hormonal (thyroid, testosterone, estrogen, etc.) status. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-07-2017, 11:53 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: If I were you, I would look into getting some blood work done to evaluation my hormonal (thyroid, testosterone, estrogen, etc.) status. Smile

-S

That has crossed my mind lately. I know 2400 cal. sounds low but when I wasn't working out I was eating even less. Just a snack or two during the day with a moderate sized supper. It was pitiful actually. I had hoped that by cleaning up my diet and getting back on a regular eating schedule and lifting that I would start to recomp without any other changes but that hasn't really happened.
My greatest fear is this; I would like to compete in a year and a half and if I stay at 2400 cal. throughout the next year, my precontest diet is really going to be hell!
You can see my dilemma. I need to lose fat, slowly bump up calories, gain muscle....
Things were so much easier back when I was in shape. I knew exactly what changes to make and when. My current situation is new territory for me.
(03-08-2017, 04:19 AM)Ironpapa40 Wrote: That has crossed my mind lately. I know 2400 cal. sounds low but when I wasn't working out I was eating even less. Just a snack or two during the day with a moderate sized supper. It was pitiful actually. I had hoped that by cleaning up my diet and getting back on a regular eating schedule and lifting that I would start to recomp without any other changes but that hasn't really happened.
My greatest fear is this; I would like to compete in a year and a half and if I stay at 2400 cal. throughout the next year, my precontest diet is really going to be hell!
You can see my dilemma. I need to lose fat, slowly bump up calories, gain muscle....
Things were so much easier back when I was in shape. I knew exactly what changes to make and when. My current situation is new territory for me.

Yes, I know where you're coming from, my man.

Still, I think some bloodwork would be in order, just to know if / to what extent you might be hitting your head against a wall in making the effort that you are.

(This picture of gaining strength without body composition changes is typical of hypogonadism in my experience. Sad )

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-09-2017, 01:18 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yes, I know where you're coming from, my man.

Still, I think some bloodwork would be in order, just to know if / to what extent you might be hitting your head against a wall in making the effort that you are.

(This picture of gaining strength without body composition changes is typical of hypogonadism in my experience. Sad )

-S

Ok, so I spoke with my GP who happens to go to my gym. I went in for tests twice Thurs, twice Fri and once Sat morning. First was a blood test and then saliva tests all the other times. I just got home from his office and his opinion is adrenal fatigue. He said he could not make that an official diagnosis because it wasn't recognized by some part of the medical community or something. I don't understand how all that works but anyway, he said my cortisol curve is almost flat whatever that means. My testosterone level is within normal range but on the low end. He wants to hold off on HRT until we see if I can correct this by other means. So here's what he prescribed:
1) B-Complex Vitamin twice a day along with my multi
2) DHEA 50mg once a day
3) Melatonin and Valerian Root at 9:00pm each night
4) Make sure I add sea salt to at least two of my meals each day
5) Stay well hydrated (which I already do)
He also suggested I consider seeking out an experienced herbalist to get their suggestion if I felt that would be useful. I don't know of any around where I live.
So that's where it stands now. I am to see him again in 8 weeks for another round of tests.

(03-14-2017, 03:25 AM)Ironpapa40 Wrote: Ok, so I spoke with my GP who happens to go to my gym. I went in for tests twice Thurs, twice Fri and once Sat morning. First was a blood test and then saliva tests all the other times. I just got home from his office and his opinion is adrenal fatigue. He said he could not make that an official diagnosis because it wasn't recognized by some part of the medical community or something. I don't understand how all that works but anyway, he said my cortisol curve is almost flat whatever that means. My testosterone level is within normal range but on the low end. He wants to hold off on HRT until we see if I can correct this by other means. So here's what he prescribed:
1) B-Complex Vitamin twice a day along with my multi
2) DHEA 50mg once a day
3) Melatonin and Valerian Root at 9:00pm each night
4) Make sure I add sea salt to at least two of my meals each day
5) Stay well hydrated (which I already do)
He also suggested I consider seeking out an experienced herbalist to get their suggestion if I felt that would be useful. I don't know of any around where I live.
So that's where it stands now. I am to see him again in 8 weeks for another round of tests.

Sounds like you've got a good doc, there.

You can go to http://www.acufinder.com to look up Chinese Herbalists.

(I don't know where you live, so I can't help much there otherwise.)

-S
-Scott