Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FT Unilateral Work
So I've been searching through the forums and haven't found anything on the subject

EXCLUDING MUSCLE ROUNDS (b/c that is in the book and I know it will work) can the same strategy of unilateral loading be used for load and pump sets?
I.e. If I chose to use Bulgarian Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat as a movement in my rotation, making sure to do all 6-12 reps or 15-30 reps on one side before switching to the other, would this be ok?
Or same thing with a single arm pulldown, etc?

I'm not sure, only because it would throw the rest times off, and I dont want to reduce the meta[/i]bolic damage too much if zig zagging and supersetting with other movements

Since Dr. S typically asks "why?", I want to incorporate more unilateral work on days besides MR b/c I have some pretty bad imbalances between legs/arms that have come up in my powerlifting (hip shift in squats, rotation and uneven lockout in bench) and I want to correct this while I do my bodybuilding blocks

Any info would be appreciated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to EverTrue for this post:
  • Jen
(01-04-2017, 06:21 AM)EverTrue Wrote: So I've been searching through the forums and haven't found anything on the subject

EXCLUDING MUSCLE ROUNDS (b/c that is in the book and I know it will work) can the same strategy of unilateral loading be used for load and pump sets?
I.e. If I chose to use Bulgarian Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat as a movement in my rotation, making sure to do all 6-12 reps or 15-30 reps on one side before switching to the other, would this be ok?
Or same thing with a single arm pulldown, etc?

I'm not sure, only because it would throw the rest times off, and I dont want to reduce the meta[/i]bolic damage too much if zig zagging and supersetting with other movements

Since Dr. S typically asks "why?", I want to incorporate more unilateral work on days besides MR b/c I have some pretty bad imbalances between legs/arms that have come up in my powerlifting (hip shift in squats, rotation and uneven lockout in bench) and I want to correct this while I do my bodybuilding blocks

Any info would be appreciated

YEs, this can all be done pretty easily, really, especially for Pump sets, but the greater question is how to you train to bring up a smaller / weaker side in general.

So, I might pose a deeper why? by asking why it use that these asymmetries present themselves during your powerlifting.

Are these structural imbalances like leg length discrepancies?

Are there injuries that underlie the issues during benching?...

Can the rotations be prevented by re-training the movement or is this simply a matter of muscle weakness b/c of muscle size? Or do the issues only become apparent as a set proceeds, suggesting that fatigue resistance is a larger issue.

Your'e focusing on trying to bring up the muscle mass, when perhaps it's a biomechanical / neurological issue at its ROOT.

If you nourish / treat the root, then the branch with flourish.

For instance, if you simply start benching such that here are no assymetries in lock-out - you simply don't allow the bar to move in such a bath, will that correct the issue de facto create a training stimulus that also generates growth on the smaller (weaker) side?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Ok awesome, when incorporating this for load and pump sets, what would rest periods look like? Immediately go to the other side or wait the same prescribed rest time b/w sides for the given muscle group (ie 2:00 for thigh loading, 1:30 upper loading, 1:00 supersets) or somewhere in between where you just go as soon as you feel ready?

For the deeper why, the answer is mixed:
1. My left pec is weaker and smaller due to a pec tear 4 years ago that was never repaired, and taking some time to bring up the differences through hypertrophy training makes me feel better, stronger, and in less pain (I've done it before)

2. You are right, it is definitely a patterning issue as well, but I think this is why the program will fit in great for me. I had a shift problem that was beginning to injure my right hip, so I took some time off and saw some professionals while healing before starting this program. My right oblique and left adductor are not activating well in the squat, and this is causing a pelvic shift and rotation (or this is the current theory that I am working on with my chiro/PT) so here's why I believe FT will help this

- Decreased squat frequency and increased movement variety will help to bring up imbalances and teach all my stabilizers to function while allowing me to stay healthy (I also do have muscular imbalances, about 2lb difference b/w sides as found by a recent DEXA scan, and while this might not be much, its still something to attack and correct)

- When incorporating squats into FT, I can focus more on the eccentric and control of the movement, as opposed to being worried about the weight (in essence I cut my powerlifting training short as I was about to enter a strength/peaking block, and am using this as an opportunity to improve my base and start over when I'm more proficient at the movements)

- Similar to the last point, the rep style of control, continuous movement, and going to technical failure on load sets is more conducive to how I want to lift/rehab, and will have good skill transfer going forward I believe (Dr. Quinn Hennoch, Garrett Blevins, Bryce Lewis and more have recommended tempo squats on the eccentric and concentric to learn the groove of a powerlifting movement and get a good stimulus with lower weights)

- Correcting the squat will also help my bench imbalances, as the lockout problem is stemming from a twisting pattern at the hips and core that is transferring into the T-spine (I filmed this and saw that it is definitely contributing)

- This program actually decreases my workout frequency from 6 days to 4, allowing me 2 extra "recovery days" to go in the gym, roll, stretch, and then repattern my squats with 135-225, rather than trying to add that onto my already long powerlifting workouts and taking away from my strength

I'm also not planning on going exclusively to bilateral movements or anything, just putting them in for my first 1-2 lower body leg workouts while I allow any remaining inflammation in my hip to dissipate before getting into a more stable exercise rotaton
Great responses!

It sounds like you're already working with some folks on these issues, so I'm not even going to pretend I can do a better job over the net without seeing you.

I would simply use the same rest intervals. No need to overcomplicate things and the rest intervals have not been chosen with the utmost precision: The duration just matches the cardiovascular strain typical of training those muscle groups, but doesn't allow full elimination of fatigue.

For instance, the 2nd set of let's say 10 unilateral reps on a leg press would add maybe 20-30 seconds to the rest interval, but you'll find too that that will be welcomed, b/c doing two unilateral sets to failure vs. a single one, can be a bit more demanding. Also, in your case, since you're really wanting to be sure you're very mentally focused during the training, having a bit extra time to ensure you're not gasping for breath is a good thing.

Same goes for Pump sets - you're going to find them pretty brutal doing them unilaterally when it comes for legs - some long ass super sets, but if needed, you can autoregulate your choice of strategy for these sets, too. Generally, I'd suggest training the weaker / smaller side first / when the most fresh and then simply matching reps and pattern with the stronger side. This strategy seems to help some folks over the long run. (Even though the temptation is to drive 100% with both sides, this tends to maintain the asymmetry, especially if there if the larger side / limb has some activation and thus stimulus advantage due to things like handedness or an injury that inhibits activation.)

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thank you Scott! Much appreciated and will implement it all to the best of my ability. Still want to have bilateral movements too, but overall I think it will help!
(01-13-2017, 03:25 PM)EverTrue Wrote: Thank you Scott! Much appreciated and will implement it all to the best of my ability. Still want to have bilateral movements too, but overall I think it will help!

You're welcome!

-S
-Scott