Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper body regressing
Hi everyone new on the forum but been doing FR a little while now.

So my question is my upper body seems to be regressing has been for some time now, lower is still strong & always seems to progress weight wise at least, but upper has definitely not improved but gotten worse.
In my mind I must be missing a trick here somehow. Currently on Turbo Tier 2 & the leg sessions are brutal & awesome.
Couple of things i struggle ALOT with shoulder pain on the pump rounds with this stopping me before the muscle/pump does. Shoulder also limit me to so degree strength wise in general. Also feel like (in my head) I'm not hitting arms enough, these are a particular weak point for me.
Any suggestion on improving the above very much appreciated, hit a low point this weekend so really need to start progressing again.
(03-12-2017, 09:25 PM)Aaron Wrote: Hi everyone new on the forum but been doing FR a little while now.

So my question is my upper body seems to be regressing has been for some time now, lower is still strong & always seems to progress weight wise at least, but upper has definitely not improved but gotten worse.
In my mind I must be missing a trick here somehow. Currently on Turbo Tier 2 & the leg sessions are brutal & awesome.
Couple of things i struggle ALOT with shoulder pain on the pump rounds with this stopping me before the muscle/pump does. Shoulder also limit me to so degree strength wise in general. Also feel like (in my head) I'm not hitting arms enough, these are a particular weak point for me.
Any suggestion on improving the above very much appreciated, hit a low point this weekend so really need to start progressing again.

Hey Aaron,

This comes down to auto regulation, essentially.

Whenever possible - ESPECIALLY for PUMP sets - don't use and exercise that causes joint pain. The joint issue needs to be fixed, first and foremost. (DIET!, supplements, avoiding those exercises - entirely - that cause pain, etc.)

While many people can fight their way through Turbo Tier III, it's simply too much volume for many folks.

Long ago whenever you started regressing, which I presume manifested in your training loads (Loading sets and MRs especially) regressing, too, you should have been moving into intensive cruises.

Once your loads have regressed, you could be technically be considered "over training" (f you goal is to be gaining weight and muscle mass, i.e., your'e not dieting down).

The other half of that issue si recovery, esp. food and sleep. I think you'r win the UK, so theres supplementation to consider, too. I think you're burning the candle on both ends so, training and progressing with Tier III Turbo, esp. if you are literally are not gaining weight, is simply not going to work (as you've seen).

The difference in legs vs. upper body may have to do with your individual recovery abilities, as well as the fact that the smaller muscle mass of the upper body is easier to fully decimate in training.

As far as your arms, those will only grow when the rest of your body is growing. If your'e gaining weight, progressing with your big lifts (presses, deadlifts, BO rows) and progressing with the arm MR's, and kicking the shit out your arms with the PUMP sets and STRETCHES, then your arms would be in a position to start growing. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hey Scott,

Currently we're still doing Tier 2 turbo & probably in the last week of 6 where we're still progressing.
This week has seen some diet changes to get more food in & to start using an intra drink. Sleep as you rightly know is harsh as I am burning things at both ends both trying to fix.
Have just done day 1 tier 2 tonight legs were fine & strong, on the pump rounds again suffered with shoulder issues where they get sore around rep 15 & the failure come from the shoulder pain/lactic acid feeling rather than anywhere near a pump. Stupid thing is my shoulders aren't painful to use or sore day to day.
Definitely not gaining weight but actually staying around 81kg while composition is definitely worsening.
(03-14-2017, 09:43 AM)Aaron Wrote: Hey Scott,

Currently we're still doing Tier 2 turbo & probably in the last week of 6 where we're still progressing.
This week has seen some diet changes to get more food in & to start using an intra drink. Sleep as you rightly know is harsh as I am burning things at both ends both trying to fix.
Have just done day 1 tier 2 tonight legs were fine & strong, on the pump rounds again suffered with shoulder issues where they get sore around rep 15 & the failure come from the shoulder pain/lactic acid feeling rather than anywhere near a pump. Stupid thing is my shoulders aren't painful to use or sore day to day.
Definitely not gaining weight but actually staying around 81kg while composition is definitely worsening.

This sounds very possibly like a hormonal issue (and an orthopaedic issue with your shoulders).

Sharp pain (like I think you're describing) is typically a joint / tendon issue. (In Chinese medicine, pain like this suggests "energy deficiency" as in someone who is run down as it seems you are, so that makes sense to me.)

Have you had any blood work done?

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hey Scott

So had a reread of FT/diet recommendations & a general rethink.
Added in more fats during the day, now having an intra shake (peptopro/waxy maize) & generally pushed a few more carbs in post training (280carbs), dropped carbs low on non training which has regained appetite & slightly tightened things already. Started taking a Vit D supplement & getting in more water as it's got slightly warmer here now. I've actually pushed harder this week with training & changed a few things around exercise wise & feel a lot better, more energy, better training, visiting the Chinese medicine guys in the next week or so with Suzi. So things are slightly better.
(03-17-2017, 11:43 AM)Aaron Wrote: Hey Scott

So had a reread of FT/diet recommendations & a general rethink.
Added in more fats during the day, now having an intra shake (peptopro/waxy maize) & generally pushed a few more carbs in post training (280carbs), dropped carbs low on non training which has regained appetite & slightly tightened things already. Started taking a Vit D supplement & getting in more water as it's got slightly warmer here now. I've actually pushed harder this week with training & changed a few things around exercise wise & feel a lot better, more energy, better training, visiting the Chinese medicine guys in the next week or so with Suzi. So things are slightly better.

OK, cool!

If you have an appt. yourself there, I'd mention to them that you thing you might have a "kidney deficiency" and wonder if a kidney qi and/or kidney yang tonic might be helpful. (Tell them you heard that Yin Yang Huo was good. Smile )

-S
-Scott