Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scheduling / Program building
Hi
I am a noobie here and just learning FT.
I have started implementing whatever strategies I can.

I was building my game plan and am thinking of this...

1.LB muscle round
UB pump
2. UB muscle round
LB pump
3.LB loading
4.UB loading

I swapped Muscle Rounds and Loading
Since Loading is the main heavy workout.. Would make sense to do it separately.

I started off with the recommended split.. But it's taking a Lil too much time with Loading and then the other bodypart pump.
I was brainstorming and thought of this.

Your 2 cents on this please!
what tier?
Low volume since I am starting out..
Will stick to Tier 1
How long is it taking you now? It may be that your just starting, so it will take a while to figure out the system and keep it moving. At first I was doing things incorrectly but as you go you will get it all in order.

I don't think your going to save much time doing it how you posted above. Scott is the authority, so see what he says. I'm sure he has it the way he has it for a reason though. Just my opinion, good luck getting it all sorted out.
Mike asks a good question, what tier? I'd seriously suggest starting out at tier 1, get a good flow going, push yourself and then after a week or two push up to tier 2. For myself at the start the program felt a little awkward since it was so different from what I was used to, it took more time because I was mentally constantly going "What am I doing next? Oh yeah! That! Did I stretch? Oops! What order are my sets in? Uhhh..." and now I just go into the gym, and its 100% natural, and I move from set to set.

Also I am sure Scott would have some good input on this. Since you asked in my log, I'll throw down my 2 cents. For what it's worth.

My first question is, is there any particular reason why loading is taking such a long time? Not being critical, just curious and wondering if maybe there is a finer point either you or we are missing. Smile Are you warming up everything at once? and then zig-zagging from one loading set to the next?

I personally think doing this shift is going to place a large amount of work on two days and not enough on your loading days. Even if you ran some sort of turbo hybrid program. Also, I personally cannot discount the extreme metabolic effect that both MRs and super setting those pump sets have. You don't get that with loading, and I personally LOVE having that on every day I train.

My personal suggestion would be to try to stick with the program as written as best you can for a blast or two before you start making changes (though brain storming is a good thing).

Edit: I see you are running tier 1 Wink haha sorry. Late reply.

@Altamir
@732mikee
Thank you guys for the inputs.

For many years my training has revolved around a select few exercises. So now that I am doing FT.. I guess it's taking a lot of Warm up/ prep sets to feel confident with the new exercises.
Yesterday was LB loading+ UB pump
I didn't even do it at tier one and it still took me 2.5 hours including warm up.

Overhead Squats.. To mobilize
Front Squats.. 10 reps x 40,50,60,70,80,90,100
This took a lot of time.

Seated Calf Raises.. 2 main sets
Toe raises 2 sets
Leg curls seated 2 sets
Cable Adduction 2 sets
Leg raise 2 sets

Pump
Parallel bar dips: bw x 15,20
V grip pulldowns 2 sets
Lateral Raises DB 1 set

Hmm...
Now that I am typing it out... Maybe I see the problem..
2 sets mostly. Trying out new movements, the Stretching..

I guess will take more time for me to do a lot of the new exercises...

(03-17-2017, 04:51 AM)Altamir Wrote: ) Are you warming up everything at once? and then zig-zagging from one loading set to the next?

Uh.. Are we supposed to do that?
(03-17-2017, 03:59 PM)Amit_S Wrote: @Altamir
@732mikee
Thank you guys for the inputs.

For many years my training has revolved around a select few exercises. So now that I am doing FT.. I guess it's taking a lot of Warm up/ prep sets to feel confident with the new exercises.
Yesterday was LB loading+ UB pump
I didn't even do it at tier one and it still took me 2.5 hours including warm up.

Overhead Squats.. To mobilize
Front Squats.. 10 reps x 40,50,60,70,80,90,100
This took a lot of time.

Seated Calf Raises.. 2 main sets
Toe raises 2 sets
Leg curls seated 2 sets
Cable Adduction 2 sets
Leg raise 2 sets

Pump
Parallel bar dips: bw x 15,20
V grip pulldowns 2 sets
Lateral Raises DB 1 set

Hmm...
Now that I am typing it out... Maybe I see the problem..
2 sets mostly. Trying out new movements, the Stretching..

I guess will take more time for me to do a lot of the new exercises...

So I'll be straight honest with you 2.5 hours is a lot. Again, not trying to be overly critical, but before trying to modify the program, lets see if we can get that time down. I would struggle with 2.5. Wink and absolutely, new lifts are going to take some time. I would warm up in whatever way you feel is absolutely critical to CRUSH a your main loading set. But for front squats. Is there any reason why you did sets of 10 up to your main set? I ask because, FT differs from say Mountain Dog training. FT has one BALLS OUT EVERYTHING YOU GOT main set. There is no "working up sets" under it. So your warm up may look more like this.

whatever mobilization work you need to do
bar x 20
135x8
185x4
225x1
warm up over
275x8 (loading set)

Not exact here, but just an example. Check out this thread Warming up and also the second page of B_forge's thread here Integrative Bodybuilding for some good talk on warming up in general for FT, and loading sets.

(03-17-2017, 03:59 PM)Amit_S Wrote: Uh.. Are we supposed to do that?

Yes Wink See pages 87 to 90 in the book.

For Tier 1 for your lifts. This is usually how I do it:

Warm up front squats one warm up away from my working set. (so from the example above I would do 185x4)
Warm up hamstring curls right up to working set
Warm up leg extensions right up to working set
Back to front squats for my last warm up. (so from the example above, 225x1)
Front squat loading set (275x8)
Rest 2:00
Hamstring curl loading set
Rest 2:00
Leg Extension loading
-Stretch hamstrings and quads-
warm up Adductors and working set
warm up calves and working set
-Stretch calves-
move to pump sets.

Hope this helps! Don't get discouraged. Like I said before, there is a bit of learning curve to the program. It's a bit to digest, read the book through again, and always feel free to ask questions! Smile
THANK YOU to Altamir and 731mikee for helping out here!!!

Amit, Altamir is going to give you GREAT advice! I would suggest that you look into his and other looks for another perspective on how FT is carried out, if you tend to get lost in a sea of details. (Of course the book contains this info., too.)

I get the sense here, especially from post #6 (your post) that your had (at least at that point) missed a a good deal of that basic information (# of sets, etc.).

I also have the question as to why you feel you'd need so many working sets. (My guess was that you've done a lot of Oly lifting.) If many of these bodybuilding movements are really (brand) new to you, it might make sense to spend a month or two just familiarize yourself with them, constructing a simple workout scheme that fits within your time constraints and doesn't entail you learning the parameters of doing FT. Basically, spend several weeks just some hard training with simple straight sets with an easy to follow split that works with your schedule, focusing mainly on building confidence and motor pathways so you can train hard with these new exercises. (You might be in a novel situation here as a veteran lifter who is not a veteran to these new exercises, in which case, it makes perfect sense to be certain you've nailed them formwise so you can generate the type of training stimulus needed to drive muscle growth. Smile )

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hi!
I am so sorry I did not rep back early.. And that too with your such detailed responses!
Thank you @Scott, @altamir!

Scott.. You are right.
Did not have a lot of variety in my programming. Was too specific.
Its only for a few months now I have added other exercises to my roster. So still struggling with the new ones. Takes too much prep time before I feel confident to push myself.
So yes.. Will work towards familiarising myself with more exercises. Not sure about the framework. Anything high frequency... Full body or UB/ LB I guess...

Altamir.. That's also the main reason why I did the front Squat the way I did.
Thank you for the detailed breakdown on the flow! I am reading the book... But as u said.. It's got a learning curve to it.

(03-23-2017, 06:21 AM)Amit_S Wrote: Hi!
I am so sorry I did not rep back early.. And that too with your such detailed responses!
Thank you @Scott, @altamir!

Scott.. You are right.
Did not have a lot of variety in my programming. Was too specific.
Its only for a few months now I have added other exercises to my roster. So still struggling with the new ones. Takes too much prep time before I feel confident to push myself.
So yes.. Will work towards familiarising myself with more exercises. Not sure about the framework. Anything high frequency... Full body or UB/ LB I guess...

Altamir.. That's also the main reason why I did the front Squat the way I did.
Thank you for the detailed breakdown on the flow! I am reading the book... But as u said.. It's got a learning curve to it.

Keep at it! Everything about this will come second nature. If you want to warm up a lift and practice it. Instead of warming up in a straight rep type fashion. (working 10s up until it gets hard) You may want to do something more along the lines of

bar 2x10
135x4x5
185x2x1
225x1
275xworking set

This way your aren't building fatigue but you are working on form, and practicing the weight, the sets are broken up as to give you some work on racking and un-racking. Also with the weight lighter you can warm up faster. 135x5 ... rest 30 seconds, another 5, etc. This should help you learn the lift without tiring you out.