Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dieting while cruising
Hey Scott!

How do you typically handle dieting while on a cruise? Do you keep the rate of weight loss the same as when blasting or do you typically try to maintain weight for those ~2 weeks in order to get the most out of the cruise? I have the tendency to drop weight while cruising even though I don't try (I typically lose 3-5lbs or so on an average cruise but have lost up to 10lb). Assuming one is not prepping for a show and has no particular date in mind, would you think it would be beneficial to "pause" the diet for those 2 weeks and keep weight steady until starting the next blast? Would you ever take advantage of the ability to lost weight without much effort during a cruise, for example lose 3lbs/week instead of 1-2lb during a blast, or is that defeating the purpose of the cruise?
(04-07-2017, 11:41 AM)Foodpumps Wrote: Hey Scott!

How do you typically handle dieting while on a cruise? Do you keep the rate of weight loss the same as when blasting or do you typically try to maintain weight for those ~2 weeks in order to get the most out of the cruise? I have the tendency to drop weight while cruising even though I don't try (I typically lose 3-5lbs or so on an average cruise but have lost up to 10lb). Assuming one is not prepping for a show and has no particular date in mind, would you think it would be beneficial to "pause" the diet for those 2 weeks and keep weight steady until starting the next blast? Would you ever take advantage of the ability to lost weight without much effort during a cruise, for example lose 3lbs/week instead of 1-2lb during a blast, or is that defeating the purpose of the cruise?

This is addressed on p. 128 of the e-book. (Frequently asked question: "What should my diet look like during the Intensive Cruise?")

Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-07-2017, 10:00 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: This is addressed on p. 128 of the e-book. (Frequently asked question: "What should my diet look like during the Intensive Cruise?")

Smile

-S

Whoops...yes it is all there, thanks. I've read through the book many times, not sure how I missed that.

Love the advices radio podcasts by the way. I think I just finished episode 3 Muscle Minds. Really good stuff!
(04-08-2017, 12:03 PM)Foodpumps Wrote: Whoops...yes it is all there, thanks. I've read through the book many times, not sure how I missed that.

Love the advices radio podcasts by the way. I think I just finished episode 3 Muscle Minds. Really good stuff!

No problem! Smile

I'll pass that along to Scott McNally. Smile So glad folks are listening, too. Hopefully entertaining and occasionally educational. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-08-2017, 11:03 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: No problem! Smile

I'll pass that along to Scott McNally. Smile So glad folks are listening, too. Hopefully entertaining and occasionally educational. Smile

-S

Yes, a lot of both Smile I particularly liked the episode where you and Jordan were discussing training volume, exercise selection (ie. Smith squats would destroy Jordan etc.). A lot of good info! I heard about the podcasts from a friend and have told some people about it so word is spreading Smile
(04-09-2017, 12:47 AM)Foodpumps Wrote: Yes, a lot of both Smile I particularly liked the episode where you and Jordan were discussing training volume, exercise selection (ie. Smith squats would destroy Jordan etc.). A lot of good info! I heard about the podcasts from a friend and have told some people about it so word is spreading Smile

Thanks, man. We're enjoying ourselves for sure. Smile

Word IS spreading. Someone recognized me in the gym just yesterday, which surprises me each time, but is cool b/c - so far - folks are letting me know they LIKE the show... Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

(04-08-2017, 11:03 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: No problem! Smile

-S

(04-09-2017, 11:19 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Thanks, man. We're enjoying ourselves for sure. Smile

Word IS spreading. Someone recognized me in the gym just yesterday, which surprises me each time, but is cool b/c - so far - folks are letting me know they LIKE the show... Smile Smile Smile

-S

Hi Scott. Regarding your diet examples in your ebook do you still recommend using almond butter? And when you use it with shakes Im guessing you just blend it in with the shake, never tried it like that to be honest.

(05-15-2017, 10:20 PM)Junior V Wrote: Hi Scott. Regarding your diet examples in your ebook do you still recommend using almond butter? And when you use it with shakes Im guessing you just blend it in with the shake, never tried it like that to be honest.

Almond butter is definitely an option, but I try to shy away from blanket recommendations when it comes to specific food. Take almond butter for example.

• Some might have a food allergy or insensitivity (and/or need to avoid peanuts which sometimes can cross-contaminate other "nut" butters).

• When dieting nut butters can be a trigger food for many, especially women.

• It might be more organoleptically satisfying eat the butter vs. mix it into shakes. When dieting down, one might want to eat the butter separately, but when packing in the food, mix it in.

• Sometimes folks can get on a food jag / start pseudo-mono-eating a food like almond butter (or what have you) b/c of a recommendation and then develop an intolerance / dislike for a food. This isn't good off-season or pre-contest.

• We know at least as far as peanut butter vs. peanuts, that there is a reduced useable calorie content in an equivalent mass of peanuts, due to (poor) digestibility. I would presume this applies to almonds, too (as you and find undigested bits in the stool, just as with peanuts). So a dietary trick I sometimes employ (when dieting down) is to substitute almonds for almond butter when dieting down. This creates more chewing (good for the sense that you're eating more), tends to keep folks away from that trigger that can come with the sweeter tasting butters, and reduces effective calorie intake.

But still, almond butter's a pretty good choice, IMO.

Smile

-S
-Scott

(05-16-2017, 10:39 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Almond butter is definitely an option, but I try to shy away from blanket recommendations when it comes to specific food. Take almond butter for example.

• Some might have a food allergy or insensitivity (and/or need to avoid peanuts which sometimes can cross-contaminate other "nut" butters).

• When dieting nut butters can be a trigger food for many, especially women.

• It might be more organoleptically satisfying eat the butter vs. mix it into shakes. When dieting down, one might want to eat the butter separately, but when packing in the food, mix it in.

• Sometimes folks can get on a food jag / start pseudo-mono-eating a food like almond butter (or what have you) b/c of a recommendation and then develop an intolerance / dislike for a food. This isn't good off-season or pre-contest.

• We know at least as far as peanut butter vs. peanuts, that there is a reduced useable calorie content in an equivalent mass of peanuts, due to (poor) digestibility. I would presume this applies to almonds, too (as you and find undigested bits in the stool, just as with peanuts). So a dietary trick I sometimes employ (when dieting down) is to substitute almonds for almond butter when dieting down. This creates more chewing (good for the sense that you're eating more), tends to keep folks away from that trigger that can come with the sweeter tasting butters, and reduces effective calorie intake.

But still, almond butter's a pretty good choice, IMO.

Smile

-S

Thanks for the generous reply.
Ill definately give it a go.
Im guessing almond butter is a more optimal choice than peanut butter?
(05-17-2017, 12:19 AM)Junior V Wrote: Thanks for the generous reply.
Ill definately give it a go.
Im guessing almond butter is a more optimal choice than peanut butter?

Maybe. Maybe not. Why would you guess that?... Smile .

-S
-Scott