Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splitting Up Training Days
Hi Scott and everyone out there!
I was wondering if anyone had any luck with splitting up the Loading and Pumping days from fortitude training into their own days?

For example instead of day 1 being Lower Load/Upper Pump -
it'll be more of a
day 1 - Lower Load
day 2 - Upper Load
day 3 - Lower Pump
day 4 - Upper Pump
Days 5 &6 - Muscle rounds

Would this type of split work or is it simply just too much volume?? Thanks!
Nick
So this has been asked a few different times a few different ways before. I don't know of anyone who's actually run it this way or doing loading in the AM, and pump in the PM (the other common way this question has been asked) and actually came back and said, this worked, this didn't work, etc. The answer if I remember is usually one or a combination of the following,

A: Why do you want to split it up this way? What benefit do you see from it? What experiences lead you to believe this will be an idle split?
B: Scott warns against training pump sets in isolation, as he has observed people turn these into more like window makers (meaning discontinuous sets, ie, 12 reps, pause, 2 reps, pause, 1 rep, deep breath, 1 rep, etc, versus continuous, 30 reps, constant tension still the muscle feels like it's going to explode, then partials for bonus)
C: In the end do whatever you want, nobody here is a program dictator, but it won't be FT (by the book). And it is advised to run the program in it's most basic form first, just to get an idea of what the program is and how you do on it, before making modifications.
(08-17-2017, 01:16 PM)nick xynias Wrote: Hi Scott and everyone out there!
I was wondering if anyone had any luck with splitting up the Loading and Pumping days from fortitude training into their own days?

For example instead of day 1 being Lower Load/Upper Pump -
it'll be more of a
day 1 - Lower Load
day 2 - Upper Load
day 3 - Lower Pump
day 4 - Upper Pump
Days 5 &6 - Muscle rounds

Would this type of split work or is it simply just too much volume?? Thanks!
Nick

As usual, Altamir gave a great answer.

There is also something interesting in your bottom line question (bolded above), Nick, that applies to point B in Altamir's response.

Your inquiry, taken at face value, is only about spitting the training up over 6 days vs. 4 days. It's not about adjusting the volume of the training...

Your last sentence suggests you have some intention or thought that you might train at a higher volume Tier using this configuration. You're basically insinuating that the issue with a 6 day / week would be that volume could end up being too high.

To help with your thinking here, I'd ask:

Why would spreading the program out over 6 vs. 4 days / week, keep all else the same, create a volume conundrum, e.g., such that Volume Tier II is not too much (when it was OK when training 4x / week). If that were the case, then 6 days /w eek would be cutting into you recovery (you can't handle the training volume) and this is your answer, IMO: Train and recover in a matter such that you can use as much volume as possible.

Or it could be, as I mention above, that maybe unconsciously, you were thinking you'd end up doing a higher volume Tier this way (ala point B in Altamir's response) and thus create a volume issue that way.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but I find it interesting to untangle questions like yours to see if it reveals anything about one's underlying thinking about training that can be helpful to inspect. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(08-18-2017, 12:03 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: As usual, Altamir gave a great answer.

There is also something interesting in your bottom line question (bolded above), Nick, that applies to point B in Altamir's response.

Your inquiry, taken at face value, is only about spitting the training up over 6 days vs. 4 days. It's not about adjusting the volume of the training...

Your last sentence suggests you have some intention or thought that you might train at a higher volume Tier using this configuration. You're basically insinuating that the issue with a 6 day / week would be that volume could end up being too high.

To help with your thinking here, I'd ask:

Why would spreading the program out over 6 vs. 4 days / week, keep all else the same, create a volume conundrum, e.g., such that Volume Tier II is not too much (when it was OK when training 4x / week). If that were the case, then 6 days /w eek would be cutting into you recovery (you can't handle the training volume) and this is your answer, IMO: Train and recover in a matter such that you can use as much volume as possible.

Or it could be, as I mention above, that maybe unconsciously, you were thinking you'd end up doing a higher volume Tier this way (ala point B in Altamir's response) and thus create a volume issue that way.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but I find it interesting to untangle questions like yours to see if it reveals anything about one's underlying thinking about training that can be helpful to inspect. Smile

-S

Okay far out Scott you actually hit the nail on the head!! . I think subconsciously I'd be going balls out on load AND pump sessions which would most definitely increase volume, because for my I love being in the gym so going for 1.5 hour sessions is just the norm - so if I finished a pump session earlier I'd probably keep going! Which is why I asked about whether the volume would be too much.

I was really just curious whether it had been done before, but clearly it hasn't with great success so I'm going to finish reading the book (which i should have done before asking this question) haha and start my bulk from Tier 1 Smile

How long does each session usually last??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-19-2017, 05:17 PM)nick xynias Wrote: Okay far out Scott you actually hit the nail on the head!! . I think subconsciously I'd be going balls out on load AND pump sessions which would most definitely increase volume, because for my I love being in the gym so going for 1.5 hour sessions is just the norm - so if I finished a pump session earlier I'd probably keep going! Which is why I asked about whether the volume would be too much.

Training harder shouldn't really increase your training volume unless you're calculating that including load (meaning you'd lift heavier loads for a give number for sets and reps)

Quote:I was really just curious whether it had been done before, but clearly it hasn't with great success so I'm going to finish reading the book (which i should have done before asking this question) haha and start my bulk from Tier 1 Smile

How long does each session usually last??

It could be anywhere from ~45min to ~2hr.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(08-20-2017, 12:12 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Training harder shouldn't really increase your training volume unless you're calculating that including load (meaning you'd lift heavier loads for a give number for sets and reps)

It could be anywhere from ~45min to ~2hr.

-S

So training harder in your FT would be keeping sets/reps/frequency all as written but lifting heavier weights??

(08-20-2017, 01:02 PM)nick xynias Wrote: So training harder in your FT would be keeping sets/reps/frequency all as written but lifting heavier weights??

Nick, maybe you should finish reading the book?...

That depends on what you mean by "training harder." I get the sense you've not even gotten to the point in the book where volume Tiers are discussed(?)...

-S
-Scott

(08-21-2017, 12:27 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Nick, maybe you should finish reading the book?...

That depends on what you mean by "training harder." I get the sense you've not even gotten to the point in the book where volume Tiers are discussed(?)...

-S

Haha only up to page 49.....I'll finish it all first, I think I'm just excited to get into it and grow! I've been hovering around 6-7% and not wanting to push bodyfat up until I start fortitude training for my bulk Smile

(08-21-2017, 01:15 PM)nick xynias Wrote: Haha only up to page 49.....I'll finish it all first, I think I'm just excited to get into it and grow! I've been hovering around 6-7% and not wanting to push bodyfat up until I start fortitude training for my bulk Smile

Understood. I think there will be some light bulbs going off as you read along. Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott