Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome
(09-24-2018, 10:44 PM)henke_prytz Wrote: Thanks for the tip on dip belts as I would def have tried it and racked my head as to why it doesn't work haha. Plus I might have broken my belt. Using the rack height to use different exercises is something I've never thought of and will def try. I have been doing the free weight squats in the rack and it worked pretty well until reaching heavier all-out sets where it has felt a bit unsafe at times to re-rack the weight since I need to create a bit of space between the stopper and the plate and set the weight down unevenly in the rack as the barbell is to narrow to fit the rack. But it have certainly been doable and I've used it this way for 2 odd years Big Grin What is it they say about not having equipment makes you think outside the box haha.

Indeed... or outside the rack in this case. Smile

AH, I didn't know the bar didn't fit in those racks...

Quote: I found another variation of squats too that I thought looked kinda nice. Have you tried landmine belt squats for quads? They look easy to set up and they look like they can create a decent load for the quads. And if done with a raised heel maybe even more? What do you think?

Yes, those are great, with or without raised heels. You can also use a low cable - set out in front of you - to overload quads. Smile

[/quote]

(10-01-2018, 03:06 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: Hey Scott so just one more question regarding diet. Being a vegetarian and getting my protein from legumes for 2 of my meals. And the rest from vegan protein powders and eggs. Would you make any alterations to the overall amount of protein? What amount of protein would you go with? I've been doing my diet based on Dante's recommendations of 2xbodyweight in Lbs would you keep that number the same or go lower?

This is my current diet:

<SNIP DIET>

That is plenty of protein, I'd say, and you've got an extra margin d/t perhaps lower quality (given some vegan sources)...

If you can swing it, I'd adding 5g of EAA to those meals where all of your protein is from legumes, just to enrich the protein of those meals. Smile

If you find that when adding kcal to ensure weight gain that your appetite is an issue, you could even lower that number a small amount (e.g., to 1x5x BW) and still be just fine as far as protein goes, I'd say. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-01-2018, 11:34 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Indeed... or outside the rack in this case. Smile

AH, I didn't know the bar didn't fit in those racks...

Yes, those are great, with or without raised heels. You can also use a low cable - set out in front of you - to overload quads. Smile

That is plenty of protein, I'd say, and you've got an extra margin d/t perhaps lower quality (given some vegan sources)...

If you can swing it, I'd adding 5g of EAA to those meals where all of your protein is from legumes, just to enrich the protein of those meals. Smile

If you find that when adding kcal to ensure weight gain that your appetite is an issue, you could even lower that number a small amount (e.g., to 1x5x BW) and still be just fine as far as protein goes, I'd say. Smile

-S
[/quote]

Yeah it works but feels a bit scary with bigger weights but it has worked so far Big Grin Thanks for the cable belt squats tip that sounds like a great pump move Big Grin

And great tip with the EAA during those meals I will def start incorporating that into the diet. What's your experience with vegetarian diets and this kind of training? I have been doing it now for the last 2,5 years and I have gotten a lot stronger on everything. I managed to put together a diet that allowed me to recover from DC training and I am looking forward to seeing how I will have to change things around for FT. So far after 1,5 weeks, I think I will be able to stay a bit leaner due to the higher amount of sets. One big problem that took me a long time to figure out with the diet was how to get the protein but not get up to 7-800g of carbs (which for me is a lot)

Since getting protein from legumes always comes with some kind of carb. But I think I have found a good balance now between getting a good amount of protein while keeping carbs at a moderate (still quite high) level. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Big Grin

Henrik
(10-02-2018, 10:30 PM)henke_prytz Wrote: Yeah it works but feels a bit scary with bigger weights but it has worked so far Big Grin Thanks for the cable belt squats tip that sounds like a great pump move Big Grin

Sure!

Quote:And great tip with the EAA during those meals I will def start incorporating that into the diet. What's your experience with vegetarian diets and this kind of training? I have been doing it now for the last 2,5 years and I have gotten a lot stronger on everything. I managed to put together a diet that allowed me to recover from DC training and I am looking forward to seeing how I will have to change things around for FT. So far after 1,5 weeks, I think I will be able to stay a bit leaner due to the higher amount of sets. One big problem that took me a long time to figure out with the diet was how to get the protein but not get up to 7-800g of carbs (which for me is a lot)

Since getting protein from legumes always comes with some kind of carb. But I think I have found a good balance now between getting a good amount of protein while keeping carbs at a moderate (still quite high) level. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Big Grin

Henrik

You shouldn't really have any problem getting in enough protein (relative to carbs), IMO, if you're allowing yourself eggs and vegetarian protein powders, as well as EAA's. There are so many protein powder options out there now - check out Document Moved for ideas, as i don't think you're in the US - that this should be pretty simple. They have vegan blend and you can also use cricket protein (unless that doesn't work for you)...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-03-2018, 01:11 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Sure!

You shouldn't really have any problem getting in enough protein (relative to carbs), IMO, if you're allowing yourself eggs and vegetarian protein powders, as well as EAA's. There are so many protein powder options out there now - check out Document Moved for ideas, as i don't think you're in the US - that this should be pretty simple. They have vegan blend and you can also use cricket protein (unless that doesn't work for you)...

-S

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have been looking into true nutrition for a while now and I really like their stuff. I do alter back and forth a bit between whey and vegan protein powders. I have never tried cricket protein....going to have to give that a go too in the future Big Grin

Hey guys just wondering what some of you do for your pump sets? I've been doing a lot of 5's in the hole and I really like them but would like to hear what are some of the techniques that others use Big Grin
(10-11-2018, 02:05 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have been looking into true nutrition for a while now and I really like their stuff. I do alter back and forth a bit between whey and vegan protein powders. I have never tried cricket protein....going to have to give that a go too in the future Big Grin

Hey guys just wondering what some of you do for your pump sets? I've been doing a lot of 5's in the hole and I really like them but would like to hear what are some of the techniques that others use Big Grin

Your'e welcome!

Search the board r.e. Pump sets techniques. There's a thread that's been recently active in the past week on this topic.

(DOn't forget that the Pump set technique is to be auto regulated. Just b/c you like 5's into the Hole doesn't mean they are to be used in every circumstance. It depends on recovery status, muscle group and what that exercise lends itself to. Smile )

-S
-Scott

(10-12-2018, 12:38 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Your'e welcome!

Search the board r.e. Pump sets techniques. There's a thread that's been recently active in the past week on this topic.

(DOn't forget that the Pump set technique is to be auto regulated. Just b/c you like 5's into the Hole doesn't mean they are to be used in every circumstance. It depends on recovery status, muscle group and what that exercise lends itself to. Smile )

-S

Oh I must have missed that the thread had had some activity, I will def have another read. I have been reading up on the pump sets in the threads but clearly not enough. I've seen some stuff but never a "list" of good techniques to use. I've been using:

-Drop/triple drop sets
-Mechanical drop sets
-5's in the hole
-Partials
-1 &1/2 reps
-Just doing 20-30 (40) reps
-Would supersets be a good idea as well or would that be "adding" another exercise?

And I love the ability to autoregulate as that is something I have been missing prior. Especially with progressive overload as it makes it a bit hard to track. But am I missing something in terms of what to throw at my pump sets or another technique to add into my arsenal?
(10-12-2018, 01:08 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: Oh I must have missed that the thread had had some activity, I will def have another read. I have been reading up on the pump sets in the threads but clearly not enough. I've seen some stuff but never a "list" of good techniques to use. I've been using:

-Drop/triple drop sets
-Mechanical drop sets
-5's in the hole
-Partials
-1 &1/2 reps
-Just doing 20-30 (40) reps
-Would supersets be a good idea as well or would that be "adding" another exercise?

And I love the ability to autoregulate as that is something I have been missing prior. Especially with progressive overload as it makes it a bit hard to track. But am I missing something in terms of what to throw at my pump sets or another technique to add into my arsenal?

Be a tool maker and create your own tool (pump set technique) to suit yourself.

What you're missing is probably not a particular training technique, but rather the knowledge as to how to use the right one to suit your situation. It's a bit like someone who's bought he best toolkit at the hardware store and doesn't know what they all use and for some reason, wants to use them all regardless of the situation. Don't use a sledgehammer to remove a screw, or a hammer to drill a hole.

Pump sets could very well be used progressively if you wanted to, employing the same technique repeatedly, but the idea here is that you'd pick the technique (or derive one as you start the set, which is how I came with 5's into the Hole) based on how you feel in that very moment. For example, if you've just destroyed yourself with Lower Body loading on a given day, nearing the end of a Blast (several weeks in), are still sore in the upper body, then chances are it wouldn't be the best move to use 5's into the Hole for each and every Pump Set you do for Upper body that day.

-S
-Scott

(10-12-2018, 11:20 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Be a tool maker and create your own tool (pump set technique) to suit yourself.

What you're missing is probably not a particular training technique, but rather the knowledge as to how to use the right one to suit your situation. It's a bit like someone who's bought he best toolkit at the hardware store and doesn't know what they all use and for some reason, wants to use them all regardless of the situation. Don't use a sledgehammer to remove a screw, or a hammer to drill a hole.

Pump sets could very well be used progressively if you wanted to, employing the same technique repeatedly, but the idea here is that you'd pick the technique (or derive one as you start the set, which is how I came with 5's into the Hole) based on how you feel in that very moment. For example, if you've just destroyed yourself with Lower Body loading on a given day, nearing the end of a Blast (several weeks in), are still sore in the upper body, then chances are it wouldn't be the best move to use 5's into the Hole for each and every Pump Set you do for Upper body that day.

-S

I very much get that!!! I do not use one or the other all of the time. I am just trying to kinda compile a list of suitable things to throw at my pump sets and also use them to attack some of my weaker bodyparts. Since the pump sets are designed to be on the fly I want to have a list in the back of my head of what is a good fit for FT so that I can throw that at the specific muscle I'm training/focusing on that day.

But from your answer, I feel like it really is free to go nuts and even try and come up with some techniques myself Big Grin So I will take your advice and not try and limit myself to a list of things but rather use my experience and go with the flow of the moment. Big Grin

As always thank you so much Scott for your advice and insight. And thank you for creating this forum it has given me a lot of answers that I have previously had to figure out on my own Big Grin
(10-13-2018, 02:02 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: I very much get that!!! I do not use one or the other all of the time. I am just trying to kinda compile a list of suitable things to throw at my pump sets and also use them to attack some of my weaker bodyparts. Since the pump sets are designed to be on the fly I want to have a list in the back of my head of what is a good fit for FT so that I can throw that at the specific muscle I'm training/focusing on that day.

Roger that.

Quote:But from your answer, I feel like it really is free to go nuts and even try and come up with some techniques myself Big Grin So I will take your advice and not try and limit myself to a list of things but rather use my experience and go with the flow of the moment. Big Grin

As always thank you so much Scott for your advice and insight. And thank you for creating this forum it has given me a lot of answers that I have previously had to figure out on my own Big Grin

You might want to re-read the Pump Set description on page 91 in the e-book now, as it will probably make a bit more sense. Smile

Making up the repetition pattern / style of the Pump set isn't "going nuts," it's the recipe for doing a pump set. Smile

You're welcome!!!

-S
-Scott

(10-14-2018, 12:07 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Roger that.

You might want to re-read the Pump Set description on page 91 in the e-book now, as it will probably make a bit more sense. Smile

Making up the repetition pattern / style of the Pump set isn't "going nuts," it's the recipe for doing a pump set. Smile

You're welcome!!!

-S

Alright thanks Big Grin I will have another re-read for sure Big Grin